Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Salvage Car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 11:02 AM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
I have to ask..no offense intended....but we saw Hurricane Sandy coming about 5 days ahead of time. Why - when the track was pretty well set - didn't ya'll in the coastal towns get your AM's and any other high line cars moved inland and store them in central NJ or somewhere away from the coastal areas?

Old 02-07-2013, 11:57 AM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
Fair question, and I'm sure everyone who was affected has his or her own answer. Here's mine:

I've been through a number of big hurricanes. This was expected to be a big one, and I didn't doubt that it would be, even though the dire warnings about several previous major storms proved to be grossly overstated. During previous big storms, including Irene, there was never any issue regarding flooding on my road whatsoever. Still, they said Sandy was going to be truly huge, and I've only been in my house for about 6 years, so I did some research. I asked numerous local people, including a neighbor who has lived here since 1964, if sea water had ever reached (not flooded, just reached) our road -- it never had. Not once in 48 years was the road even touched by flood waters. So, even if Sandy turned out worse than any storm since 1964, we had a considerable margin -- it could be significantly worse before the road would even get touched by the sea, and the road would have to be under several feet of water before it would flood my house. Given that, even with the predicted high storm surges, we thought my road, and especially my house and cars, would be OK.

About the evacuation orders: We were "told" to evacuate, but not until late afternoon/early evening the day before the storm arrived. Moreover, we have been told to evacuate many times -- and nothing happened. When that happens repeatedly, it becomes like crying wolf -- the evacuation orders lose some credibility. Nevertheless, with all the other information coming in, it seemed quite likely that this was going to be a big deal. Collectively, however, the information I had suggested that we wouldn't get flooded.

As it turned out... The storm surge was considerably higher even than what had been predicted. My road, which had not even gotten touched by sea water in at least 48 years, was under more than 3 feet of flood water. I got very lucky -- we had a lot of damage, and the water got very close, but my house and my cars didn't get flooded.

Last edited by Speedraser; 02-07-2013 at 12:00 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:00 PM
Norman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really nice
Speedraser explained it perfectly well. I leave in manhattan in a zone C my parking lot was located in zone B. Only areas located in zone A were supposed to be at risk. Some low lying area in mandatory evacuation zone A weren't even flooded while the water came to only a few feet of my building in zone C. I thought my car was safe where it was..

Old 02-08-2013, 06:18 AM
plastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Norman75
I saw it a few days after the flood and there was some signs of corrosion like the USB key located in the center console.
The insurance was pretty good and gave me a reasonable amount of money. I already bought another car but will miss my aston.
Moving forth, what car did you end up getting?
Another Aston?

Old 02-08-2013, 07:39 AM
Norman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really nice
I got a Bentley Brooklands. I am planning on getting another Aston in the future. I like the v12v roadster.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	343.6 KB
ID:	209192  
Old 02-08-2013, 08:41 AM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Norman75
I got a Bentley Brooklands. I am planning on getting another Aston in the future. I like the v12v roadster.
Except the V12VR is not available for sale in the US. You might have to "settle" for a V8VSR

Old 02-08-2013, 09:11 AM
Originally Posted by karlfranz

Except the V12VR is not available for sale in the US. You might have to "settle" for a V8VSR
I live in NYC but I'm from France and spend a lot of time there too so that would work

Old 02-08-2013, 09:30 AM
WG_moots has a spectacular aura aboutWG_moots has a spectacular aura aboutWG_moots has a spectacular aura about
GT3 from Sandy is being restored

Check out the 6-speed thread .

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...n-attempt.html

The real details are on their blog (link below). It can be done but probably cost prohibitive once the car has been completely submerged.

http://www.gt3cpr.blogspot.com/

Old 02-08-2013, 09:56 AM
Thanks for the link WG. Unfortunately the damages to my car were much worst than the ones detailed on that thread. Here are some interior shots.

Attached Images  
Old 02-08-2013, 09:57 AM
Another

Attached Images  
Old 02-08-2013, 09:58 AM
Add Content

Attached Images  
Old 02-08-2013, 10:22 AM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
That is bad
If you like the V12VR keep your eyes on my Johnny 550 thread

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...50-coming.html