Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Aston Martin DB9 vs Mercedes-Benz CL65 AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 02:15 PM
scottblack has a spectacular aura aboutscottblack has a spectacular aura aboutscottblack has a spectacular aura about
Aston Martin DB9 vs Mercedes-Benz CL65 AMG

Motor Trend recently compared the new DB9 to the Mercedes-Benz CL65 AMG. Its an interesting video. What do you guys think?

Old 02-14-2013, 04:04 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Ridiculous comparison. GT vs luxo-coupe. No one would cross shop these two cars. $200K for an MB, a car that EVERYONE owns vs a rare AM? Not even a close contest.

Old 02-14-2013, 04:16 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
Ridiculous comparison. GT vs luxo-coupe. No one would cross shop these two cars. $200K for an MB, a car that EVERYONE owns vs a rare AM? Not even a close contest.
Maybe it's me, I don't see where Mercedes would agree with you.

Just because something is rare, doesn't make it better. Mercedes might argue there are more $200k MB's because more people want them, etc, etc...

Many different ways to look at this. People want comfortable to be somewhat exciting. Don't both of these cars cater to that?

Old 02-14-2013, 04:52 PM
dan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to all
A 200k Merc that looks like their C class (IMO)? laughable!! Not only that the interior looks cheap in comparison to the DB9 and is pretty obvious in that video. People who spend 200k on a car want style, prestige, and reliability. I'm sorry but the Merc looks a lot like the C-class and the reliability of their "Bi-turbo" motors in the past have been a joke. I gotta show this car to my other car buddies they should get a good laugh just like I did!

Last edited by dan87951; 02-14-2013 at 04:57 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:58 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dan87951
A 200k Merc that looks like their C class (IMO), laughable!! Not only that the interior looks cheap in comparison to the DB9 and is pretty obvious in that video. People who spend 200k on a car want style, prestige, and reliability. I'm sorry but the Merc looks a lot like the C-class and the reliability of their "Bi-turbo" motors in the past have been a joke. I gotta show this car to my other car buddies they should get a good laugh just like I did!
I don't follow.

The Audi TT and R8V10 have a lot of similarities, based on visual cues.

The Boxster and GT2 share some similar styling

The BMW 3 series and the M6 look similar in certain areas.

I'd be willing to bet that if people didn't want to spend $200k on a MB, they wouldn't sell. It seems as though your opinion differs from others, simply because Mercedes still sells cars, and is still in business, maybe because their C-class looks like a $200k car.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:09 PM
dan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
I don't follow.

The Audi TT and R8V10 have a lot of similarities, based on visual cues.

The Boxster and GT2 share some similar styling

The BMW 3 series and the M6 look similar in certain areas.

I'd be willing to bet that if people didn't want to spend $200k on a MB, they wouldn't sell. It seems as though your opinion differs from others, simply because Mercedes still sells cars, and is still in business, maybe because their C-class looks like a $200k car.
I don't agree with the above assessment. Let's put it this way if I saw that car on the street it would blend in with any other Mercedes out there. You would think for 200k Mercedes would give the car more of its own identity but they didn't. Even my wife kinda smirked when I told her that car was 200k. It may be a great driving car but IMO it's rather boring interior and exterior wise (not for me). If I was a buyer of this car I would save 170k and buy a C350. Ok.. that last part was me being a smart ***.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:06 PM
Originally Posted by dan87951
I don't agree with the above assessment. Let's put it this way if I saw that car on the street it would blend in with any other Mercedes out there. You would think for 200k Mercedes would give the car more of its own identity but they didn't. Even my wife kinda smirked when I told her that car was 200k. It may be a great driving car but IMO it's rather boring interior and exterior wise (not for me)....
I don't disagree with this, but that is just our (similar) opinion. I am almost certain that most people can identify a Mercedes, but only car people can recognize an Aston Martin.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:31 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
I don't disagree with this, but that is just our (similar) opinion. I am almost certain that most people can identify a Mercedes, but only car people can recognize an Aston Martin.
That's the point !! Everyone recognizes an MB, but few recognize an Aston. I want a car that people struggle to identify and crane their necks to catch glimpse of the logo, not something that passes by unnoticed.

Thanks for making my point...

Old 02-14-2013, 06:58 PM
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
That's the point !! Everyone recognizes an MB, but few recognize an Aston. I want a car that people struggle to identify and crane their necks to catch glimpse of the logo, not something that passes by unnoticed.

Thanks for making my point...
I've seen several people look at an Aston Martin Vanquish, and say,"Nice Jag!"

There are some people that would say the opposite as you,"Who would possibly cross shop these two cars? Who would pay $200k for a car that nobody even heard of?"

Then there are people in between who are not partial to either brand, giving both a nod, possibly drawing a possible Mercedes owner to another manufacturer, or someone else who was curious about the Aston hype, to learn that Mercedes is still making cars that are amazingly powerful, and still comfortable to drive.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:26 PM
b_gust99 will become famous soon enough
If I were ever looking for the characteristics that the reviewer loved so much in the merc, I would have the Bentley continental, especially the new speed. As referenced above, the merc is certainly not much to look at. And can I say how much I hate wood steering wheels...luxurious? How about cold, hard, and ugly!

Old 02-14-2013, 10:26 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Why does he make all these little grunts and groans while he is driving? It almost sounds as if he's constipated.

BTW: I think the Merc looks B.O.R.I.N.G.! And it looks like the dozens, if not hundreds, of other Mercs I see on the road every day where I live. For me, rarity and good looks in a car, are *very* important factors.

Old 02-15-2013, 06:10 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
I agree with XJRS and KF. I can't see spending that much on a Merc that looks like any other of the millions of Mercs already on the road. Pass!

Old 02-15-2013, 06:16 AM
Originally Posted by Racer_X
I agree with XJRS and KF. I can't see spending that much on a Merc that looks like any other of the millions of Mercs already on the road. Pass!
So what you're saying is Mercedes' marketing and design for brand recognition works too well?

I think they may be okay with that.

Old 02-15-2013, 06:32 AM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
^^^^ What I'm really saying is I don't want a mass-produced car as my "special" car.

Old 02-15-2013, 06:57 AM
plastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to all
Mercedes CL65: "This car lowers your blood pressure."

Sorry PASS! I'm an adrenaline junkie.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Aston Martin DB9 vs Mercedes-Benz CL65 AMG