Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Buying a AM vantage soon

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 11:57 PM
royis is on a distinguished road
Buying a AM vantage soon

Hi I'm new to the forum, aston martin vantage is my dream car since it came out. now I'm 26 and financially stable enough to achieve my dream. I'm planning to buy a used 2007 or 2008 v8 vantage very soon. What should I be aware of to check on the car or asking the sales agent. I know most of the time pictures came out differently comparing seeing it in person. The car is located 900 miles away from me so I want to make sure it is the right one before I make a trip to pick it up. This is my first purchase on an exotic car. I will be really appreciate for the advice. Thank you

Old 03-24-2013, 02:45 AM
ali pontiac is on a distinguished road
Vantage owners will help you, what i have to say it get it manual gearbox & good luck.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:08 AM
BklynNY is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ali pontiac
Vantage owners will help you, what i have to say it get it manual gearbox & good luck.
Why manual?..aside from liking the third pedal.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:42 AM
RaceCarDriver is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ali pontiac
+1 for the manual gearbox. I didn't like the Sportshift at all

Old 03-24-2013, 11:53 AM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
start saving for a clutch!!

Old 03-24-2013, 12:32 PM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
Originally Posted by captain Greg
start saving for a clutch!!
Of course they are fragile
Of course they all fail early
Did you have one fail?

OP I'd try and stretch to an early 4.7 if you are looking at 08 cars
Drive both then go looking for the best example you can find, buy on condition not mileage

Old 03-24-2013, 12:34 PM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
Originally Posted by BklynNY
Why manual?..aside from liking the third pedal.
Because the Internet mythology says the sport shift clutches fail and every one repeats it

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...ge%20clutches!

Last edited by mikey k; 03-24-2013 at 04:16 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:38 PM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
at 26 rather get a M3? you want to get laid...? I think ???if your a petrol head? the chicks dont understand at 19 -37 what a Aston is about???? at 40+ they understand so dont fire the bullet just yet hang on a while,,
just my advise

Old 03-24-2013, 02:52 PM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
AM clutches are no more fragile than any other exotics'. SS has a bad name for clutch wear, but properly driven it shouldn't be a problem. There will, of course, always be exceptions. That said, all else being equal, the clutch of a properly driven manual will outlast the clutch of a properly driven single-clutch paddle 'box (true for AM, Ferrari, Lambo, BMW, etc.).

Old 03-24-2013, 03:04 PM
oo7
oo7 will become famous soon enoughoo7 will become famous soon enough
If you can find one with premium sound you will not be disappointed

Old 03-24-2013, 03:26 PM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
Just be sure you have the budget to support AM maintenance and if you do, then go forth. A Porsche will be a whole lot less in parts and service to repair. AM buyers are extremely fussy on buying, so if you intend to put a lot of miles on the car or not keep it 100 % serviced - then another marque is better. At your age I would think a BMW M3 is perfect, but certainly if the Aston is the car you want and you have the finances to back it up, its a good ride.

Old 03-24-2013, 04:19 PM
Originally Posted by Speedraser
AM clutches are no more fragile than any other exotics'. SS has a bad name for clutch wear, but properly driven it shouldn't be a problem. There will, of course, always be exceptions. That said, all else being equal, the clutch of a properly driven manual will outlast the clutch of a properly driven single-clutch paddle 'box (true for AM, Ferrari, Lambo, BMW, etc.).
Very true

Two keyed words "properly driven"

ASM1 without clutch learns and lots of "creep" mode will die quickly as will a manual where the cluych is feathered or ridden (possibly the source of the mythology?)
Both will suffer reversing up hill as reverse is closer to 2nd

Old 03-24-2013, 04:50 PM
dicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of light
royis, I have an '08 Vantage V8, so I'll see if I can help.
First off about the only change between the '07 and '08 is the '08 has cup holders. The '09, if you stretch for that has a bigger engine--'08 is 4.3L/380HP and the '09 is 4.7L/420HP. Either one is great, but you'll pay a premium for the '09. Now key things to look for: Service Records, make sure the car was serviced regularly--that means once each year or every 10,000 miles. It would be good to have a Pre-purchase inspection done, to make sure no accidents or flood. Look at the list of options, things like Cruise Control, HID lights, bright chrome grill, Upgrade Audio, navigation, heated seats--all these things were options. These cars had a base MSRP of about $110,000, then most have added $15,000+ options--so make sure you get the ones you want.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:29 PM
oo7
oo7 will become famous soon enoughoo7 will become famous soon enough
dicktahoe has good advice. The difference in power is noticeable between the 4.3 and 4.7. I discovered the cup holders in the 09 (manual) are too close to the shifter and your elbow will spill your drink, the cup holders in the 07 look like an after thought and kinda take away from an otherwise splendid interior, but you can shift un impeded, however, accessing your beverage whilst driving is a bit of a challenge. I like the center stack a little more on the 07, it is easier to see and get used to (I wear reading glasses, can't really see speedo either), of course no problem for you, another reason to buy now! I also saw it on the DB9 8 yrs ago when I fell real hard for the marque, so that has something to do with it. I have the prodrive power upgrade and it is definitely more power than a stock 4.3, but doesn't match the feel of the torque in a 4.7. I believe the flywheel and clutch are lighter on a 4.7 also. I t doesn't matter though, once used to it you will want more, horsepower is a lot like sex and money, only too much is enough.

Last edited by oo7; 03-25-2013 at 03:22 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:41 PM
Aston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really nice
Lots of good advice so far but no one has mentioned Grant's book ... get it!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Buying a AM vantage soon