Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Too tall for a Vantage HELP!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 05:27 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
I'm 6'2" and fit fine in my Vantage but I've had fit problems with my MX5. I ended up getting a racing seat, which I needed anyway, and bolted it directly to the floor without the adjustment tracks. This ultimately ended up dropping me about 2 inches and my seating position is now perfect. HOWEVER, it was not simple a matter of mounting the seat to the floor to get those 2 inches. It required a custom mounting bracket that I ordered online and then some cutting/welding of the bracket to get the seat to mount into the deeply lowered position I needed. Custom mounting is rarely just a matter of just bolting the seat to the floor. Also note that you'll lose seat adjustment if you do this. Not a huge deal if you are the only one who will drive the car, but it's nice to be able to adjust the seat a bit depending upon what shoes you're wearing (or not wearing).

You can also do a foamectomy and get about an inch. The problem with this is that you'll have to open up the seat and cut up the seat foam. Doable, but not as easily reversible as the seat lowering. A consideration when it comes to resale. In addition, it will change the way the seat feels (sitting in a cavity). Some don't mind it, others don't like it.

Unfortunately, no really easy solutions here. I would figure out what you're going to need to do before you buy the car.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:09 AM
astongirl is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Racer_X
I'm 6'2" and fit fine in my Vantage but I've had fit problems with my MX5. I ended up getting a racing seat, which I needed anyway, and bolted it directly to the floor without the adjustment tracks. This ultimately ended up dropping me about 2 inches and my seating position is now perfect. HOWEVER, it was not simple a matter of mounting the seat to the floor to get those 2 inches. It required a custom mounting bracket that I ordered online and then some cutting/welding of the bracket to get the seat to mount into the deeply lowered position I needed. Custom mounting is rarely just a matter of just bolting the seat to the floor. Also note that you'll lose seat adjustment if you do this. Not a huge deal if you are the only one who will drive the car, but it's nice to be able to adjust the seat a bit depending upon what shoes you're wearing (or not wearing).

You can also do a foamectomy and get about an inch. The problem with this is that you'll have to open up the seat and cut up the seat foam. Doable, but not as easily reversible as the seat lowering. A consideration when it comes to resale. In addition, it will change the way the seat feels (sitting in a cavity). Some don't mind it, others don't like it.

Unfortunately, no really easy solutions here. I would figure out what you're going to need to do before you buy the car.
I agree with RacerX... Be sure to get that figured out first.. I had the opposite problem. I'm only 5 feet tall and the bottom of the seat is all the way forward so I can reach comfortably.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:13 AM
astongirl is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by astongirl

I agree with RacerX... Be sure to get that figured out first.. I had the opposite problem. I'm only 5 feet tall and the bottom of the seat is all the way forward so I can reach comfortably.
I didn't need to make any modifications though.... I know that the high end body shops will do it as they have done modifications for the basketball players however it would drop the resale value.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:33 AM
bluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by magnum645
great suggestions guys. I think I can get the room from a little foam removal and bolting seat to the floor... now I just need to get past that darn gearbox!! Does the semi auto drive any one here crazy? Do you just get used to it?
Many would suggest the manual transmission. That's what I have as I prefer three pedals if I can get them.

However if you go that route, pay close attention to the location of the shifter. I find it to be too far rearward, and not ergonomicly correct. I am getting used to it, but it is not ideal. This may effect you if you are taller. I have an S2000 track car that is far better ergonomicly in many ways

Old 09-23-2013, 09:11 AM
jmargolese will become famous soon enoughjmargolese will become famous soon enough
great suggestions guys. I think I can get the room from a little foam removal and bolting seat to the floor... now I just need to get past that darn gearbox!! Does the semi auto drive any one here crazy? Do you just get used to it?
I have the sport shift and have no issues with it. It does take a little getting used too, but you truly can control the gears no problems. I have an 08 with old shifter, I hear the 2012 SII is much better and shifts faster. I have driven many manuals and now the semi-auto and prefer the shifter. It's less work in traffic and will ultimately replace all manuals, especially dual clutch models. I recently ordered an Audi RS5 with DCT shifter and it is unreal at how fast it can shift without the sensation of the gear changing.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:44 AM
magnum645 is on a distinguished road
haha, it wouldn't devalue the car for me if the previous owner lowered it.
I can't do a 6 speed in L.A. I'd commit seppuku if I had to endure that. Plus with size 13's it's already tight down there.
Look like I could gain at least a couple of inches with your suggestions here but just back to the slamming of the shifter. Do you guys ever just leave it in D and go or are you always shifting? Every other sport shift I've owned. 6 series, 7 series and Porsche has been ridiculously smooth whether in D or shift mode.
This is my last concern about this car. I want this ride so badly but this is my sticking point.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:28 AM
4pipes will become famous soon enough4pipes will become famous soon enough
I'm 6'3" and the DBS has great room until you put on a helmet!

Old 09-23-2013, 12:00 PM
jmargolese will become famous soon enoughjmargolese will become famous soon enough
haha, it wouldn't devalue the car for me if the previous owner lowered it.
I can't do a 6 speed in L.A. I'd commit seppuku if I had to endure that. Plus with size 13's it's already tight down there.
Look like I could gain at least a couple of inches with your suggestions here but just back to the slamming of the shifter. Do you guys ever just leave it in D and go or are you always shifting? Every other sport shift I've owned. 6 series, 7 series and Porsche has been ridiculously smooth whether in D or shift mode.
This is my last concern about this car. I want this ride so badly but this is my sticking point.
The "D" to me is undrivable. The sportshift was meant to be driven on the Vantage in sportshift mode, not with the D, IMHO. I always shift.

Old 09-23-2013, 01:21 PM
LRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond repute
I might have to go with a Merc SL65 but where I live they are a dime a dozen. That's what I liked about the AM. Even thought exotics are everywhere here in Newport Beach CA, I don't see alot of AMs.
Exactly!

Originally Posted by barryf43
Magnum, I'm 6'5" and feel your pain. I've always liked being tall, except when it comes to cars, planes and clothes. I've had to avoid many of the cars I've loved over the years because I couldn't fit in them, including older Astons.

However, whatever changes that Aston made to the Virage, now the new DB9, have made a huge difference for me. After about 6 months in my Virage, I can say that it is one of the most comfortable exotics I've had. Plus, I really like the longer lines of the full size body, and there's no comparison with the V12. I would definitely go with the Virage/DB9 over the Bentley.
Truer words were never spoken. Lot of tall guys here! I'm 6'-5" tall. Tried to fit in a vantage myself but, looked ridiculous! Some people are just too big (tall?) for certain cars. Sounds like you (OP) might be too......

Had a 6-speed in my DB9 and now have the TT2 in my Virage. As tall as I am, and as tall as you are, you may want to seriously consider the TT2. I'm a manual trans guy too but, in this car I am very happy with the TT2.

Old 09-23-2013, 01:25 PM
LRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 4pipes
I'm 6'3" and the DBS has great room until you put on a helmet!
At 5'-17" tall, I wore a helmet in a Virage coupe couple months ago at a exotic car driving event at Charlotte Motor Speedway.

Old 09-23-2013, 03:41 PM
pardon my dopeyness but what's a tt2?

Old 09-23-2013, 03:59 PM
cret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond repute
touchtronic 2 (TT2) which is automatic gearbox with torque converter

Old 09-23-2013, 06:53 PM
^^^ Thanks! Would have responded sooner but, on an airplane....

Old 09-23-2013, 09:28 PM
vantages don't come with TT2 though right? Least not the years I am looking at. I did drive a Rapide with a super smooth gearbox though. Must've been a tt2. Can't believe how much that car dropped in price with the new S out. The Virage too. a steal now.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:34 AM
cret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond repute
Vantages comes with either 6 MT or SportShift (I & II depending on the year)
TT2 is available for DBS, DB9, Virage, Rapide and the new Vanquish

Last edited by cret; 09-25-2013 at 07:52 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Too tall for a Vantage HELP!!