Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Too tall for a Vantage HELP!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 02:50 PM
LRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cret
Vantages comes with either 6 MT or SportShift (I & II depending on the year)
TT2 is available for DBS, DB9, Virage, Rapide and the new Vanquish (Or some call it Vanq 2)
Wondered how the Vanquish would be referred to given it's the second version with a gap in production years. I guess the same is true for the Virage since it's the second go-round (second as far as I know) on that name too. Albeit, a longer space in years between the two Virage models as compared to the relative short period on the Vanquish.

Last edited by LRDog; 09-24-2013 at 02:57 PM.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:35 PM
cret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by LRDog
Wondered how the Vanquish would be referred to given it's the second version with a gap in production years. I guess the same is true for the Virage since it's the second go-round (second as far as I know) on that name too. Albeit, a longer space in years between the two Virage models as compared to the relative short period on the Vanquish.
DBS and Vantage are not the first gen either.
1967–1972 DBS
1977–1989 V8 Vantage
1989–2000 Virage
1993–2003 DB7/Vantage

Maybe Gaydon Vanquish/Virgage/DBS/Vantage?

Old 09-24-2013, 03:51 PM
LRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cret
DBS and Vantage are not the first gen either.
1967–1972 DBS
1977–1989 V8 Vantage
1989–2000 Virage
1993–2003 DB7/Vantage

Maybe Gaydon Vanquish/Virgage/DBS/Vantage?
True. I've not heard the new Vanquish referred to that way.....

Last edited by LRDog; 09-24-2013 at 04:00 PM.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:22 PM
bdgs1 is on a distinguished road
long torso and short legs issue

I have the same issue with body format--short inseam and long torso--6 ft but only 30" inseam--anyhow i end up with strange seat position usually--move seat bottom forward and then put extreme angle on back rest to get some of the room i need to drive--this is helped greatly by a adjustable steering wheel(both up and down as well as telescope)
Also if possible tilt seat bottom (front up and back down) This has worked for me on everything from s2000 to db9--but to be honest i have found that i can find a way to fit if i really really want to drive it--someway somehow --imho

Old 07-13-2017, 02:24 PM
MikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant future
Has any taller drivers successfully removed the rails bolted the seat directly to the floor in a Vantage to gain a little more space? Was it a difficult task and how did it work?

I'm 6'6'' and the Vantage is just barely comfortable enough as is (I've sat in lots and driven a few) and the only way to make it work is the seat bottom slide forward and recline the back more than I'd like. I've played for cumulative hours trying to figure out the best seat position, but I really just need more headroom. Even 1/2 an inch would make all the difference in the world in headroom.

I don't want to remove foam or buy different seats, and unfortunately the US did not get the thin race seats like what I have in my Ferrari that are a godsend for tall drivers. I'm getting annoyed enough with my search for a Vantage and the space issue to just buy a GT350R or M2/3 instead .

Old 07-13-2017, 02:27 PM
goto35 will become famous soon enoughgoto35 will become famous soon enough
Im 6'3 and my friend always jokes i like tiny sports cars and im a big guy.

You can do some modification to the seats where they push the rails back, that should help or buy a sports car with 4 seats (DB9 DBS, DB11, m3, 911 etc).

Old 07-13-2017, 02:48 PM
MikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by goto35

You can do some modification to the seats where they push the rails back
How does pushing the rails back help though? The seat already hits the wall and cannot recline more. What I really need is 1/2'' to 1'' of extra head room. As is, sliding the bottom forward enough that my knees are just almost in the dash and reclining the seat back as much as possible, I'm able to fit with my hair ever so slightly brushing the roof.

I am guessing removing the rails is easy enough, but then bolting the seat to the frame is going to be much harder with more custom work than it sounds like. AFAIK there are no kits available for something like this.

Last edited by MikeR397; 07-13-2017 at 02:50 PM.
Old 07-13-2017, 05:14 PM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by MikeR397
How does pushing the rails back help though? The seat already hits the wall and cannot recline more. What I really need is 1/2'' to 1'' of extra head room. As is, sliding the bottom forward enough that my knees are just almost in the dash and reclining the seat back as much as possible, I'm able to fit with my hair ever so slightly brushing the roof.

I am guessing removing the rails is easy enough, but then bolting the seat to the frame is going to be much harder with more custom work than it sounds like. AFAIK there are no kits available for something like this.
1. Remove hair, that will stop your hair from rubbing. Bald is latest thing isn't it?

2. REDPANTS was working last fall on installing Recaro buckets in his Vantage which caused a need to modify the seat rails. He might now of something to help.

3. I would think a decent race shop, could possibly help with modifying the rail system. I would also guess this might eliminate the electrical moving of the seat, but if it works, that wouldn't matter much. Couple brackets, and bolts, this might work for you. Likely under 1k, which would be worth it for you, someone custom fabricating the items.

Old 07-13-2017, 05:26 PM
goto35 will become famous soon enoughgoto35 will become famous soon enough
did you already buy a vantage? or is this a something you will eventually pick up. Cause again, at 6'6 you should be doing cars with rear seats as they have the most room for you. I know its a crappy solution but thats the solution.

Old 07-13-2017, 07:27 PM
sonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud of
I'm 6'6" in shoes but mostly legs and I fit fine, only time my head hits the roof is if I sit up super straight but if I'm driving its not an issue, you can lean the seat way back (*** has to move forward a little but there is plenty of leg room on each side of the wheel) for more room usually but it does take a while to find the perfect fit, memory seats are a must have option for me!

Old 07-13-2017, 07:59 PM
Originally Posted by goto35
did you already buy a vantage? or is this a something you will eventually pick up. Cause again, at 6'6 you should be doing cars with rear seats as they have the most room for you. I know its a crappy solution but thats the solution.
negotiatiating on one now. Disagree about the rear seats being a requisite. it's more about the front seats. I have a Ferrari 360 with stradale carbon race seats and use only 80% of the available room and have plenty head room for a helmet for the track. A 7ft tall guy could drive my car comfortably. Same car with daytonas, completly different situation.

Aston has always been on my bucket list, but right now i don't want a gt aston. Have a xfr which I absolutely adore, but am looking for a smaller sportier manual car.

Last edited by MikeR397; 07-13-2017 at 08:02 PM.
Old 07-14-2017, 12:02 AM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
You need something like this. These are from my twin turbo lambo they're carbon shells with minimal suede insert padding and can accommodate full 6point competition harness. I'm 6ft and lambo has extremely low roofline and I fit, albeit with a helmet it is still tight. If these were to be able to be adapted for as Aston a very tall driver would have no problem fitting. The roofline and interior on an Aston is much more spacious than that of a Lamborghini.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	480056  
Old 07-14-2017, 11:58 AM
davidm17 is on a distinguished road
I feel your pain. I'm 6'5" with long legs and still barely fit. What I do is slide the seat forward, drop the seat all the way down, and then set the seat back angle to how I like it. Then slide the seat back till you feel the seat back start to move up. That's as far back as you can go. You can go farther back, but the seat back becomes more vertical because of the shelf behind it. If you're having to recline the seat back more than you like then I'm guessing the seat is farther forward. You have to find the sweet spot between having the seat back enough and the seat back angle. I also like to angle the front of the seat up some to provide some thigh support. Would have been nice if the seat bottoms were a little longer. I also found that deflating the lumber supports helps. I felt like I was being pushed out of the seat until I deflated them almost all the way.

You could look around for some aftermarket rails to lower the seat. My concern would be all the electronics underneath. I haven't looked underneath to see how much of a gap there is. You may need to remove some things to get the seat down more.

Aston does make carbon fiber seats that do look lower and also look like they provide better hip and side support. They are some serious money, though, from what I've seen.

I'll be curious to see what you come up with. It's not so much of an issue for me, but it would be nice to make it better.

David

Old 07-30-2017, 09:31 AM
Had the vantage for a week now and have to say I'm pleasantly surprised at the comfortable driving position I was able to find (6'6"). Have just enough head room and leg room and am nicely upright in a track position. Basically requires moving the upper section back and slowly then pulling the bottom back until just before the upper part starts moving forward. Taking out lumbar support helps too. I'm perfectly fine for road use, but track helmet use is going to take something more if I want to track the car (which I'm not sure I care that much to do).

Only negative is I can't see traffic lights without bending down to look under the roof line. Small cost to play 007 with a affordable manual exotic vehicle!

Old 07-30-2017, 04:12 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
I'm only 5'9" and I have to have the seat all the way back to have enough legroom. I've never been this happy to be short

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Too tall for a Vantage HELP!!