Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Stupid stuff people say about your Aston Martin

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2022, 07:48 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
"Which Tesla is that?"

Old 04-18-2022, 07:49 AM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
Like your new Genesis...

Old 04-18-2022, 10:18 AM
Marmot is an unknown quantity at this point
Can I drive it?

Old 04-18-2022, 04:52 PM
Sir Rothschild will become famous soon enoughSir Rothschild will become famous soon enough
Most common: "What kind of gas mileage do you get?"

Old 04-18-2022, 07:08 PM
Mike Gray will become famous soon enough
Typical question: "Is that a Porsche (pronounced "Porch")?

Usual reply: "Nope. It's a 2 door Ford Focus, The dealers don't stock them. You have to special order one."

Old 04-19-2022, 07:02 AM
RudyP is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by brightoncorgi
"Which Tesla is that?"
I got that question at a light once from a middle aged lady (technically, she asked if it was a Tesla). I told her it was and gave it a few revs... Then admitted I was kidding because I don't actually want to be a d1ck to people for no reason.

But other than that one episode, one of the best parts of living in a wealthy part of CA is that comments/questions from passersby about cars are super rare. No one cares around here. I'm a pretty sociable guy and I don't mind chatting to strangers who are into cars but the "what is that?" "how much did that cost?" questions from strangers at gas stations get a little tiresome.

Last edited by RudyP; 04-19-2022 at 07:07 AM.
Old 04-19-2022, 07:21 PM
Tom_Boy will become famous soon enough
Wow. Great stories. Some good laughs reading them all... I've had like nada with mine... Used to live in a nice hood (Southlake, TX), but now out in the sticks north & west of FW.... No one knows what it is.. I like it that way. Had a CAV Ford GT (GT40) in the 2004-2005 timeframe and people were always driving in my blind spot, taking pictures, acting crazy, gas station fill-ups would take 30 minutes, getting a cup of coffee, forget it... I like blending in... Less really is more...

Old 04-20-2022, 03:53 PM
khiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond repute
Maybe not stupid things said, but I installed a front and rear dashcam after multiple instances of folks drifting into my lane, trying to either crane their necks to get a better look or take pictures/video. In the instance that a mistake happens, I want to have some evidence that I was in my own lane and minimize he-said-she-said-- KH

Old 04-21-2022, 08:17 AM
Marmot is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Tom_Boy
Wow. Great stories. Some good laughs reading them all... I've had like nada with mine... Used to live in a nice hood (Southlake, TX), but now out in the sticks north & west of FW.... No one knows what it is.. I like it that way. Had a CAV Ford GT (GT40) in the 2004-2005 timeframe and people were always driving in my blind spot, taking pictures, acting crazy, gas station fill-ups would take 30 minutes, getting a cup of coffee, forget it... I like blending in... Less really is more...
Can I drive it?

Old 04-21-2022, 08:39 AM
TheBiz is on a distinguished road
My buddy borrowed my Vantage and had stopped to gas it up. Apparently the hillbilly gassing up his truck decided to make conversation, "That is my favorite Chrysler ever." My friend was suitably offended on my behalf. (He is still offended to this day!)

Old 04-21-2022, 09:38 AM
61mga will become famous soon enough
not really a fan of threads that make light of others who are simply not familiar with their expensive cars (even though i've got one). it smacks of an elitism that i'm not comfortable with. to make a point of such remarks and take enjoyment in relating them to one another in a public forum is a mistake. IMO, it confirms stereotypes WRT the owners of such vehicles that i would think we would rather not be confirmed.

at the risk of becoming a pariah, it needed to be said...

Last edited by 61mga; 04-21-2022 at 09:47 AM.
Old 04-21-2022, 10:14 AM
zuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to behold
It is interesting to consider the attributes that contribute to how someone identifies or remembers a car. For example, I've also had quite a few people mistake my DB9 Volante for a Chrysler Sebring Convertible. Two doors? Soft top? Winged badge? Grille slats? Check.
I'd guess that someone - to whom cars are primarily simply transportation - might land on a few common denominators between the two while overlooking the overwhelming aesthetic differences. I'm sure that anyone could note the difference if the cars are side-by-side, but if someone remembers a Chrysler Sebring as "something cool and different" and then actually sees an Aston Martin without reading the badge, they might assume that the two-door, wing-badged convertible is the "cool and different" car they saw in the past.
But only one still takes my breath away.

Chrysler Sebring v Aston Martin DB9

Last edited by zuman; 04-21-2022 at 10:42 AM.
Old 04-22-2022, 01:26 PM
sdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to behold
On this side of the pond (mainland Europe, non-native English speakers) the brand is often referred to as "Austin Martin"

.."that's a good looking Austin Martin there"..

What's in name ..

Old 04-23-2022, 07:16 AM
ExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to all
I had a French guy ask me if my Vanquish was a diesel.

Old 04-30-2022, 06:44 PM
sliderule01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Car shopping with my wife who was looking for a hybrid (in my DB9). At the Toyota dealer - I was asked if I was trading in the Chrysler. I replied no I hadn't planned on it. Went to a Hyundai dealer - the salesperson said he had never seen a convertible ford fusion. I told him is was special order. He looked around the car, and saw the badge and quickly apologized. The only people that recognized the car was at a Tesla dealer.

I had a Cadillac V Sport Wagon try to race me on the turnpike - after I waved him off, he gave me a thumbs up.

Right after I bought my car, I took a trip to Maine. It was a beautiful day, and we had the top down. Of course, we get stuck in traffic on I-84 going into Hartford (always). I still had the dealers temporary tags on the car. A MB S-Class pulls up next to us, and yells "Congratulations".

I get lots of thumbs up, waves, etc.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Stupid stuff people say about your Aston Martin