Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

"No roof operation possible"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 08:35 AM
uxchamp is on a distinguished road
"No roof operation possible"

Hi guys,

Over the hot weekend I experienced "No roof operation possible" on my 2008 V8V Roadster when I tried to put my roof back up.

After a few hours it would work, but same thing happened this morning, I took the roof down, drove to work and when trying to put the roof up, I get "No roof operation possible" again. It's supposed to rain this afternoon, so I hope it works later.

Is there a roof reset, similar to window reset?

I had my CRM module replaced last year.

Also my "Ambient Temp Sensor" is acting up and displaying 85C, could it be related?

Maybe my battery is running low? but I had the car plugged in to batter conditioner whole winter.

Last edited by uxchamp; 06-24-2013 at 10:26 AM.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:28 AM
AMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to all
yes the ambient temp could be causing it, it likes to cause weird issues. try reseting the windows a couple of times and see if it does it again.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:36 AM
Originally Posted by AMFixer
yes the ambient temp could be causing it, it likes to cause weird issues. try reseting the windows a couple of times and see if it does it again.
Thanks! I'll try resetting the windows a few more times.

Is there a fuse I can pull for it? or temporarily disable it?

30% rain forecast is freaking me out, lol

Old 06-24-2013, 10:38 AM
AMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to all
A fuse for what, the top or the ambient sensor?

Old 06-24-2013, 10:42 AM
Originally Posted by AMFixer
A fuse for what, the top or the ambient sensor?
ambient sensor

Old 06-24-2013, 12:25 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
The top will not work, if you disconnect the sensor, could be the fault? A new sensor is less than $30. You could fix both issues maybe.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:57 PM
I hope it's the sensor.

Maybe if I hold a cold bottle next to the sensor, temp will drop and let me close the roof.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:55 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
If the ambient temp is to high or too low..it will seize the top from working..too cold -45C pump fluid can freeze and damage internals so CEM will not all the CRM to control top function...if to hot, +60C top will not work for interior electronics can start to melt and CEM will not send the correct CAN voltages for HS and LS..thus this affects safety of the SRS, so top will not work when too hot...

On some cars like the DB9, the alt will not even charge over 12.5V, goes into a safety mode and thinks the battery might be to hot so charging over 12.5V is restricted...

If you reading +85C on the display..change your ambient temp, dealer will need your VIN for there are 2 versions dependant on VIN..will take you 10mins to change yourself

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9
Office: (1)250-485-5126
Email: Tuning@VelocityAP.com

www.velocityap.com

Old 06-25-2013, 11:34 AM
Thank you very much! I will order the ambient temp sensor.

Since I'm stuck with my top is down, is there a way to by-pass this ambient temp sensor and get the roof working, or is putting the roof up manually the only option for me right now?

Old 06-25-2013, 12:51 PM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
If the sensor is reading to hot..take it off and put it in a freezer, don't think a regular freezer will do the job, regular freezer is only around -4C..but say it's +30C outside and your reading +89C it might work, if you can get the sensor reading around 50C, it should work..hehe if it's only +10C and reading +89C, don't think a regular freezer will work, might need a deep freezer..

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9
Office: (1)250-485-5126
Email: Tuning@VelocityAP.com

www.velocityap.com

Old 06-25-2013, 01:58 PM
Actually now, there is no longer temperature displayed, I guess it's fully broken now. I'll still take it our and try the freezer! hahaha

I ended up putting the roof up manually. Here are the steps I used.

Manual Roof Procedure from Manual

1) Remove wind deflector
2) Remove allen key from tool kit (required to lock roof in position)
3) Remove key and leave hydraulics relax (it will still require considerable effort to move manually)
4) Remove battery cover and foam insert (behind passenger seat)
5) Locate two roof lidmanual release cables and pull to release while applying slight downward pressure to painted section between humps
6) With one person either side manually lift roof lid cover to full extent
7) Again one person each side, support the roof lid one hand under the rear of roof and one on front edge lift whole roof up and forward
Cool Once roof is clear allow roof lid to drop back in to positon (it will not lock in postion)
9) Lower front and back of roof in to their closed positions
10) Remove plug in lining above rear view mirror
11) One person in each sides down pull down the front edge of roof & ensure lock arms meet the catches, no need to pushdown hard.
12) Use allen key in plug above review mirror to tighten and lock down the roof. clockwise. It will start catching, continue tightening for a while. If you start the car and roof says, operation complete, it's done, else it will say roof failure and beep for a while.