Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Carbon Ceramic Squeaking

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 01:25 AM
blue_skies is just really niceblue_skies is just really niceblue_skies is just really niceblue_skies is just really niceblue_skies is just really nice
Carbon Ceramic Squeaking

I picked up a '14 DB9 and recently the brakes tend to squeak pretty bad, but only when they're warmed up. This is contrary to my usual experience with CCB's that only squeak when they're cold. I had the pads treated but that didn't seem to do much.

Anyone have any insight/clues on how to dampen it?

I think the village folk are starting to wonder why I'm murdering a herd of small kittens every time I brake.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:34 AM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
That's unusual for pads to squeal when warmed up, usually that's a cold function. Pad squeal is caused by high-speed vibration of the pad in the caliper reacting to the surface of the rotor. Since your car is under warranty, I'd have the dealer take care of that one. My guess is you may have some kind of glazing on the rotor itself or poorly fit pads in the caliper. They may wind up replacing several components to fix.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:57 AM
dan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to all
I know on my 2005 DB9 that if the "anit-rattle shims" are not installed they do exactly what you describe. I wonder if AM has come out with a similar kit for your 14' DB9?

Old 07-17-2013, 08:34 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
My CC brakes squeak a little bit in warm weather, but not bad. In cooler weather they are silent.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:34 AM
DoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of light
My CCM brakes will very very faintly squeak (luckily not squeal) after driving. However, if I get on the brakes nice and hard they don't squeak at all.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:21 AM
No32 is a glorious beacon of lightNo32 is a glorious beacon of lightNo32 is a glorious beacon of lightNo32 is a glorious beacon of lightNo32 is a glorious beacon of lightNo32 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by DoubleLow7
My CCM brakes will very very faintly squeak (luckily not squeal) after driving. However, if I get on the brakes nice and hard they don't squeak at all.
Same here , wish I could get it quieter

Old 07-17-2013, 05:31 PM
blue_skies is just really niceblue_skies is just really niceblue_skies is just really niceblue_skies is just really niceblue_skies is just really nice
Thanks for the replies.

I will ask about the shims when I take it in tomorrow. The impression I got from the service manager is that they needed to be bedded properly.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:23 PM
JuanP is on a distinguished road
You might try hosing off the wheels/brakes. I find that my brakes will begin to squeal/squeak when braking about a week or so after washing the car if I am only driving around town (brakes never really get heated up then).

Old 07-17-2013, 07:26 PM
DoctorWill is on a distinguished road
I thought the squeaking is normal in Carbonceramic brakes? I've had the squeaking in all my cars with Carbonceramic. It's the trade off for no brake dust.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:58 PM
groutguy has a spectacular aura aboutgroutguy has a spectacular aura aboutgroutguy has a spectacular aura about
My Carbon ceramics have a faint squeak as well.
The ZR1's that I had test driven also had a faint squeak, and so did the Bentley SS GT; although it was hardly noticeable in the big GT.
I'm pretty sure that all the CCM brake setups, just like any performance race brakes will have some squeaking.
I would only worry if there was squealing or odd surface wear.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:43 PM
The ceramics on my California squeak consistently and at the same pitch but it's nothing unbearable. The DB9 starts off perfectly silent and gets progressively louder until they sound like I'm parking a big rig. They quiet down completely after they've cooled down for about an hour. Seems a bit odd to me.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:40 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
My brakes are totally silent all the time.

Old 07-29-2013, 06:58 PM
CW8YUP is on a distinguished road
Make sure you (or anybody you let wash your car) never spray any type of chemical on your CCM brakes(ex: wheel cleaning solvents) Because they are so porous they will absorb this and transfer it to the pad and this can cause a brake squeal that is very tough to get rid of. Take it to your dealer and let them de-glaze the pads. Should definitely help with your squeal.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:35 PM
The dealer ended up replacing the front brake pads and they've been completely silent thus far. They did mention not to use any brake cleaner (which I'd never used anyway) and even to avoid getting them wet in general.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:43 PM
CW8YUP is on a distinguished road
That's the way to go but normally has to be done after a de-glaze has been performed before they can do it. And getting them wet won't be too much of an issue other than make them squeal until they dry out. The cleaners are what will kill it. Good to hear that they got it sorted for you

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Carbon Ceramic Squeaking