Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Navigation Display on Vantage V8 MY2007

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 05:06 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
It's a fairly common problem for the nav screen gears to need replacing. I had it done by the dealership for less than US$150.

Old 11-09-2013, 12:06 PM
XWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura about
I don't want to pay 150, if the assembly can be removed without removing the dash top area. (not worth the chance that I might damage the dash piece, if it has to come out). If it can just pop out somehow, the repair looks pretty straight forward as far as replacing the gears.

Old 11-09-2013, 06:48 PM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by XWCGT
I don't want to pay 150, if the assembly can be removed without removing the dash top area. (not worth the chance that I might damage the dash piece, if it has to come out). If it can just pop out somehow, the repair looks pretty straight forward as far as replacing the gears.
The ski slope trim has to come off..then remove 4 screws that secure nav screen assembly..remove the side gear covers and swap out the gears..then reverse to refit everything..

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9
Office: (1)250-485-5126
Email: Tuning@VelocityAP.com

www.velocityap.com

Old 11-11-2013, 10:42 AM
XWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura about
Thought so
Thanks
There was a YouTube video showing a shop doing it
Looks a little risky for DIY to damage the ski slope

Old 12-08-2019, 07:48 PM
Thom Morrow is infamous around these parts
May be hijacking thread but replaced my gears today but screen still doesn’t go up properly. Down works great. Any thoughts?

Old 12-09-2019, 12:26 AM
Originally Posted by Thom Morrow
May be hijacking thread but replaced my gears today but screen still doesn’t go up properly. Down works great. Any thoughts?
that sounds strange. there might be an orientation that you might have missed for their alignment. watch the video again and see if how you replaced them was done correctly. does it make the motor noise when you push the button to open the NAV screen/

Old 12-09-2019, 04:17 AM
Originally Posted by XWCGT
that sounds strange. there might be an orientation that you might have missed for their alignment. watch the video again and see if how you replaced them was done correctly. does it make the motor noise when you push the button to open the NAV screen/

It’s is like it is trying every time but just jerky. If I help it along, it will raise. My next step would be to disassemble it and watch the gears move. Lastly is there gears on both sides? My redhat video shows only working on one side of the screen.

Thanks!

Old 12-09-2019, 12:58 PM
Today's update.
Disassembled again. FYI : Gears only on one side.
I see the motor spinning but it just struggles to go up. All teeth are in good shape and from the looks of it there are no adjustments. I added some grease but still not working.

Old 12-10-2019, 09:59 AM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
Today's update.
Disassembled again. FYI : Gears only on one side.
I see the motor spinning but it just struggles to go up. All teeth are in good shape and from the looks of it there are no adjustments. I added some grease but still not working.
Try it without attaching the ski slope door. If it opens ok then the two spring like attachments the attach the ski slope door to the Nav might be your problem

Old 12-10-2019, 10:59 AM
Finally got it working. Took it apart. Moved gears around. Looked for binding issues. Found nothing. Put back together. Bam working. Whats crazy it that it looks like it only goes together one way. So what I fixed, is beyond me. LOL feel like I am part of the A-Team... "Love it when a plan comes together."

Old 12-10-2019, 12:19 PM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
I've never used the nav display... perhaps I need to check to see if it works...

Old 12-24-2019, 09:27 AM
Like to recant my last post. It worked once then back to the motor spinning and then it trying to go up. If you help it along, it will go up. Dang it.

Old 12-29-2019, 02:33 PM
Rick F. is infamous around these parts
Like to recant my last post. It worked once then back to the motor spinning and then it trying to go up. If you help it along, it will go up. Dang it.
Thom,

I feel your pain. My gears were broken, I replaced them, reinstalled everything, and then the screen would rotate up a little ways and then just stop. I took everything back apart, checked it all, but could find nothing wrong. It worked perfectly on the bench, powering the motor directly with 12 volts. But not in the car. Eventually, I took one of the new gears back out and now I just open and close the unit by hand. Very frustrating.

A friend thinks that there's an "anti-pinch" feature built into the navigation unit, designed to stop the screen from opening if it senses too high an electrical draw from the motor. He suspects it could be fixed by changing a resistor--but he also recognizes that it could be tricky to find which one! I'll probably give him the unit one of these days to see if he can diagnose and fix it. He's extremely good at such things. (Example: He helped Lotus diagnose and fix a problem with their Evora transmission software.)

In the meantime, I have no other suggestions. If you find a fix, please let us know!

Rick F.

Old 12-30-2019, 07:13 AM
Well I will tinker with it some more, this winter. I have to fix the broken door that I discovered while taking it apart. Previous owner broke off one of the eyelets. Let us know if you find the magic resistor to swap out.

Thanks
Thom

Old 12-31-2019, 09:36 AM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
Well I will tinker with it some more, this winter. I have to fix the broken door that I discovered while taking it apart. Previous owner broke off one of the eyelets. Let us know if you find the magic resistor to swap out.

Thanks
Thom
The eyelets are weak. I used plastic epoxy to build new ones when mine broke from removal of the panel. I used a greased drill bit to ensure that the eyelets was the perfect shape and built the epoxy up around it.