Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Tasteful ways to lighten a V8 Vantage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 02:23 PM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
You mean parallel, don't you?

Old 07-25-2013, 03:22 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by TurboDragon
The system does self test so as long as it thinks it is all there then it will send a signal to the others to deploy if needed. It is a computer not rocket science.

Could there be a issue, possibly but with anything nothing is 100$ even if left alone.
No, not rocket science, but the consequences for f-ing it up could be huge. Sure, the stock system could have an issue even if you left it alone, but it's much more likely to have an issue if you mess with it. Personally, I would not go there.

Old 07-25-2013, 04:52 PM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by yvr
You mean parallel, don't you?
Yes I did.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
Office: (1)250-485-5126
www.velocityap.com
Old 07-27-2013, 04:54 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Been thinking about the lightweight battery. One concern I have is the battery going dead. I sometimes don't drive my car for a couple of weeks or more and don't have the ability to run a trickle charger. In a "typical" car, you just lose your radio presets when the battery goes dead. Anyone know if the consequences are more significant for an Aston?

Old 07-28-2013, 01:52 PM
Vergis has a spectacular aura aboutVergis has a spectacular aura aboutVergis has a spectacular aura about
I like the look of the PC680 battery but wouldnt that engage the alternator more often and hence taking precious bhp to keep charged?

Old 07-28-2013, 01:56 PM
TurboDragon will become famous soon enoughTurboDragon will become famous soon enough
On the battery topic, has anyone looked into under-drive pullies to lighten the load on the motor and alternator? If it is going to be running more, no need to make it work 100% all the time.

Before you reply with a WHY, it is because reduced load will keep the parts healthy longer and still supply the same power.

Example Water Pump and Alternator don't need to run at 100%.

Old 07-28-2013, 03:28 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by telum01
In temps that cold, I usually don't drive my V8V anyway, so it'd be on a trickle charger. I think that'd solve the problem, right?

Yes, trickle charger solves all those problems correct

Old 07-28-2013, 03:30 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Racer_X
Been thinking about the lightweight battery. One concern I have is the battery going dead. I sometimes don't drive my car for a couple of weeks or more and don't have the ability to run a trickle charger. In a "typical" car, you just lose your radio presets when the battery goes dead. Anyone know if the consequences are more significant for an Aston?
just an educated guess, but: shouldn't it be no different than any other car? step one of any automotive job is "disconnect the battery" for safety reasons. same goes for an AM.

Old 07-28-2013, 03:30 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by TurboDragon
On the battery topic, has anyone looked into under-drive pullies to lighten the load on the motor and alternator? If it is going to be running more, no need to make it work 100% all the time.

Before you reply with a WHY, it is because reduced load will keep the parts healthy longer and still supply the same power.

Example Water Pump and Alternator don't need to run at 100%.
It does the opposite, it places higher strain on battery because you are charging the systems less. Yes parasitic loss (drag) on crank is less, but it does at by sacrificing less power being generated. It is not recommended and can have long term negative effect on electrical systems sometimes

Old 07-28-2013, 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by Vergis
I like the look of the PC680 battery but wouldnt that engage the alternator more often and hence taking precious bhp to keep charged?
No effect whatsoever, when alternator is running its all the same.

Although the specs don't state it, the battery always felt stronger than stated bc it's hard to compare a solid state battery to a fluid filled battery. It always fired motor up faster than the larger conventional battery, and could been down and recharged endlessly where as a conventional battery would be toast after 1-2 drawdowns.

I could go up to 2 weeks without starting my BMW M3 with almost no issues. It may take extra crank rotation or two to get started if left idle for 2 weeks, but it always fired up no matter what. I may have even been able to go 3 weeks if I pushed it

Last edited by 007 Vantage; 07-28-2013 at 03:36 PM.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:19 PM
Vergis has a spectacular aura aboutVergis has a spectacular aura aboutVergis has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by 007 Vantage
No effect whatsoever, when alternator is running its all the same.

Although the specs don't state it, the battery always felt stronger than stated bc it's hard to compare a solid state battery to a fluid filled battery. It always fired motor up faster than the larger conventional battery, and could been down and recharged endlessly where as a conventional battery would be toast after 1-2 drawdowns.

I could go up to 2 weeks without starting my BMW M3 with almost no issues. It may take extra crank rotation or two to get started if left idle for 2 weeks, but it always fired up no matter what. I may have even been able to go 3 weeks if I pushed it
I think im sold. will probably look to buy one. The weight saving is considerable.

Old 03-20-2018, 08:28 AM
Maximilian is an unknown quantity at this point
Any updates since 2013 on weight reductions?