Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

So what realistic car would get you out of your Aston?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 08:25 PM
RPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by RossL
I've owned 2 Aston's and was going to buy a DBS or 2013+ DB9 till I drove a Ferrari F430. After that I was sold. I wound up buying the Scud for all of the reasons plastique999 mentioned. The adrenaline rush you get with the car is amazing! I'll eventually get another Aston but for now Ferrari.
+1 similar story here, except mine is just a f430.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:58 PM
black penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant future
Wow, what do I replace my V12 Vantage with.

I just wrote the letter of the month in EVO talking about how much I love my V12 Vantage. For me the trump card for Aston isn't just the looks, its their attention to the total experience. The only cars that could compete is another car as committed to the experience of driving. I can see why so many seem to like the 430 Scud, that car is an experience. One that goes beyond the numbers.

For me, I would go the other way. Something like a Lola T70 spyder. Every second in that car would be an experience unlike any modern car.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:31 AM
RossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by black penguin
Wow, what do I replace my V12 Vantage with.

I just wrote the letter of the month in EVO talking about how much I love my V12 Vantage. For me the trump card for Aston isn't just the looks, its their attention to the total experience. The only cars that could compete is another car as committed to the experience of driving. I can see why so many seem to like the 430 Scud, that car is an experience. One that goes beyond the numbers.

For me, I would go the other way. Something like a Lola T70 spyder. Every second in that car would be an experience unlike any modern car.
That would be an awesome car to own and drive on special occasions! The rawest car I have owned was the Noble M400. It was definitely an adrenaline rush but so impractical that I barely drove it in comparison to my Lotus or Ferrari. I want a car I can drive and enjoy. The Scud is perfect for my taste. It's raw, adrenaline pumping, surprisingly comfortable, and practical enough to take to dinner, the track, or to the grocery store (for small trips ). I buy my cars to drive and if it's not raining, I drive it pretty much everywhere.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:42 AM
black penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant future
I hear you about driving them. That's my biggest issue with my C12 Vantage, I don't drive it enough. I have put4 times the mileage on my track car, than the Vantage this past year.

I live right in the city, so I take the subway to work and use a Range Rover for family duties. Free tine free gets used up at the track or mountain bike trails. That doesn't leave a lot of time for the Vantage.

I think I would need a car that could be track and cruise (Lola T70),or perhaps the Aston CC100. A car so raw and special, that nothing could compete with it on experience

That would be a car you waited all week for, just dreaming of that weekend drive.

Last edited by black penguin; 08-07-2013 at 07:44 AM.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:10 AM
GR8Ride is on a distinguished road
I hear you about driving them. That's my biggest issue with my C12 Vantage, I don't drive it enough. I have put4 times the mileage on my track car, than the Vantage this past year.

I live right in the city, so I take the subway to work and use a Range Rover for family duties. Free tine free gets used up at the track or mountain bike trails. That doesn't leave a lot of time for the Vantage.

I think I would need a car that could be track and cruise (Lola T70),or perhaps the Aston CC100. A car so raw and special, that nothing could compete with it on experience

That would be a car you waited all week for, just dreaming of that weekend drive.

For me, it would be an AC Cobra. It's a raw driving experience if there ever was one. Even a kit car (since originals are priced well outside of my range now...), properly built, would suit me.

I'd make the switch from V8 Vantage to V12 Vantage....but that's not pulling me "out" of an Aston Martin. Otherwise, nothing really entices me. With unlimited budget (or at least a much higher budget than I currently have....), I could probably convince myself to add to the stable. But I couldn't see replacing a Vantage with another marque.

I'd love a 458 Italia, but I just couldn't see myself driving it on a daily basis. Same goes for McLaren, or an Aventador, though honestly both of those are out of my budget as well. Even if I could afford them, they'd supplement the Aston Martin, and not supplant it.

Even for practical reasons I couldn't see myself swapping out for an AC Cobra. It's a completely sunny day only car.

I do feel the need to go for a drive now though.

Patrick

Old 08-09-2013, 11:46 AM
RossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond repute

I was considering a Morgan 3 to fit this

Old 08-09-2013, 12:58 PM
IbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant future
The right color combination of a very gently used Vantage S (and someone buying my current Vantage for a fair price). Perhaps the right DB9 or if someone really wants to unload a Virage...we did say "realistic" and I keep my car spending reigned in...for now.

That's really it. While I like and respect the 430/Scud, the M3, even a MB or two, none would get me out of a Vantage.

Nothing else either.

Old 08-09-2013, 01:33 PM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
I personally like the look of the vantage.... think all the other sports cars are a bit brash.

That being said i would love to have Chip Foose lose on it with an open cheque book!!

I have written to Foose designs but they have not responded ??? maybe the yanks can only work with metal and body filla...?

with respect guys, american cars are just ugly some of Fooses work is fantastic and seeing what he could do to a Vantage will be awesome!!! because i have seen what he does with basic american cars

Old 08-09-2013, 01:48 PM
IbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by captain Greg
I personally like the look of the vantage.... think all the other sports cars are a bit brash.

That being said i would love to have Chip Foose lose on it with an open cheque book!!

I have written to Foose designs but they have not responded ??? maybe the yanks can only work with metal and body filla...?

with respect guys, american cars are just ugly some of Fooses work is fantastic and seeing what he could do to a Vantage will be awesome!!! because i have seen what he does with basic american cars
I agree with your first statement but not with the rest.
What makes the Vantage is the very British non styling of it. Like all great British designs, it just looks right, as if it just happened.

Foose, while relatively restrained for an American (designer), is all about slabs and sleds. I'd like to see what he'd do to an Aston Martin only to confirm my suspicions about the (lack of) depth of his talent. Other than paint, and I hate Foose's paint, I don't believe much can be done to improve on the Vantage form.

Old 08-10-2013, 02:37 AM
phun-ky is on a distinguished road
Foose would touch my car only over my dead body! His style might be fine for hot rods but it's utterly incompatible with AM elegance IMO.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:15 AM
rotary rocket has a spectacular aura aboutrotary rocket has a spectacular aura about
I just got into my AM V8V, so not leaving it anytime soon. The next car on the list is a Gallardo.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:47 AM
millsjq has a spectacular aura aboutmillsjq has a spectacular aura about
Foose did Adam Carolla's DB9! Removed the front marker light an added a hood scoop. This may sound sacrilegious but the hood scoop look like a DB6, and looked like it should have come with the car. Even the original Aston designer of the DB9 and vantage liked it.

Old 08-10-2013, 03:11 PM
plastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by millsjq
Foose did Adam Carolla's DB9! Removed the front marker light an added a hood scoop. This may sound sacrilegious but the hood scoop look like a DB6, and looked like it should have come with the car. Even the original Aston designer of the DB9 and vantage liked it.
pics?

Old 08-10-2013, 03:40 PM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by plastique999
pics?
Video!

Old 08-10-2013, 04:09 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Am I the only one who can't stand Adam Carolla?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: So what realistic car would get you out of your Aston?