Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Could Use Some Advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 12:07 PM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
The Aston seduces you every time you walk up to it, it will never perform like a Porsche.
i love my Aston hands down but I can't drive it every day, my mate has a Porsche or two, not sure what they are apparently both very diffrent yet to me they just look the same both 911 type

Sometimes I need more power than the aston can deliver and suddenly in a mans world 400 Hp in a heavy car can be a bit frustrating and I then take a diffrent car - that said nothing will ever be as special as an Aston I don't own one for wanting looks or to start conversation at a filling station with people who I don't know or nor do I consider their opinion, too many times a guy in an R8 or little Porsche need to approach me to ask about why I drive Aston and not other?
why? Do Aston owners ever approach guys in Italian cars or R8's to ask there opinion, no we simply don't care.

Last edited by captain Greg; 05-12-2019 at 01:08 PM.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:19 AM
Gene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond repute
When the members of our Porsche club heard that I had an Aston Martin they wanted me to bring it to our next drive and dine. Every single one of them loved the Aston and had to take pictures of it. I have now had three Astons and my 2008 V8Vantage with its 4.3 engine and a proper 6 speed manual is a keeper. Something about it that I never experienced in my Porsche.

Old 05-15-2019, 11:55 AM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Gene G
When the members of our Porsche club heard that I had an Aston Martin they wanted me to bring it to our next drive and dine. e.
Gene G that is very brave hard to believe that none of them went on to explain just how much better the Porsche is?

I learnt early ....at the lights I will tackle a Porsche, any road witch a hint of corners my advise is just leave them Porsche types alone, while I love my Aston it is no match for a Porsche, that said even if I win a Porsche I will never add it to my collection like BMW motorcycles brilliant in every way just so boring so predictable so perfect,..... no personality.

im on the aston Forums Mods so please don't ban me for not resonating with the car that requires hairdryers under the bonnet to make the Hp

Old 05-15-2019, 12:34 PM
Zettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of light
Something must be wrong with my 997s or my Aston had a special q training.

My Aston beats my 997 is most disciplines.
Power -> Aston
Special feel -> Aston
Sound -> Aston
Quality -> Aston

Corner speed -> Quicker in the Porsche (same new Ps4s tires) since Aston DSC playing nanny if enabled. DSC off -> close call.
Brake feel and power -> equal.
Steering feel -> equal Both have nice mechanical feel while the porsche feels better driving hard.
Shifting/ clutch feel -> Porsche hands down!!!! The heel toe machine vs hanging pedal. clunky clutch.
Reliability - Aston

In the end, both cars have their purpose and i love them. The Porsche is my daily driver and family (4seater) weekend sports car while the Aston is the most beautiful car ever built.
Very special to drive and my sole pleasure drive machine.

Old 05-15-2019, 01:24 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
Coming from a Vantage - every time I sit in a new Porsche (any of their sports cars - the dealer is within walking distance of my office) there is just something 'cheap' about them - but they are far pricier used. A few months ago, I thought, maybe there's something wrong with me because the love they get is impressive, and the resale even more. I drove an upper end 911 with the 'sports exhaust' option, and just can't appreciate the sound at all, and the car just in every way does not feel as special. I just don't get it.

Old 05-16-2019, 12:33 AM
V12Vin is on a distinguished road
You will appreciate the sound of the GT3. Intoxcating. Revs to 9k rpm and it's natural aspirated. In fact the RSR (variant of the GT3) is the best sounding race car right now. YouTube it.

Sadly, I can't bash on Porsches anymore cos I got one. It's that good.

Old 05-16-2019, 06:14 AM
Originally Posted by V12Vin
You will appreciate the sound of the GT3. Intoxcating. Revs to 9k rpm and it's natural aspirated. In fact the RSR (variant of the GT3) is the best sounding race car right now. YouTube it.

Sadly, I can't bash on Porsches anymore cos I got one. It's that good.
I agree I have driven (not mucked about so people could see me) a GT3 Rs 2019 model.....I love my Aston but this GT 3 Rs will kick its AAAAS out of the game in every scenario! Sound wise we are on the fence, but handling and sharpness in road handling beats the Aston hands down and with respect Im not talking about driving to the shopping mall and back I talking mountain pass on a Sunday when I have been asked if I could bring it back with no rubber left.

I dont think any Aston would stay on its tail in corners? this coming from a Aston fanatic is hard to admit ....looks wise a 10 year old Aston still breaks knicker elastic at 50 paces no Porsche does this IMO, Cayman S and 911 are so close in looks it takes a keen eye to see the difference (one is supposed to be more muscular) this is subjective of course as its like trying to find the most muscular man at a Pride perade if you know what I mean? In contrast the Aston leaves no doubt its a muscular vehicle with a touch of bolar hat finesse.

The PDK box well who needs a Manual when you have that? has god ever built a faster smoother shifting box in anything....do I want to won a GT3 Rs?....hell no I like my fried eggs for breakfast not on the place where sexy head lights are to be fitted.

Old 05-18-2019, 08:56 PM
AFX
AFX is an unknown quantity at this point
I had a 991 911 C-2 MT and put 25,000 miles on the clock while figuring out what would the (for me) best 911 look like:
Ordered a factory 991.1 911GTS C-2 MT and drove it for another 25,000 miles and it was perfection
Medical problems arrived unannounced and I lost my enthusiasm trading it for a Macan.
7 months passed and the Macan while being a very nice vehicle lacked that special feel & I was listening to the radio!
Not a fan of the tt 911's even if they are better, faster etc. than the N/A 991.1's.
Then I drove a stunning red 2014 V8 Vantage and fell in love again.
The GTS and the Vantage are about the same length and width, the Vantage is just under 1" lower and has a longer wheelbase.
GTS has 430 HP & the Vantage 420 HP but more torque and is 300 Lbs. plus heavier.
I find the Vantage easier to corner given its 52/48 weight distribution - more like a Cayman.
It has a 6S MT (better than the 7 speed Porsche MT) heavier clutch but hydraulic steering.

I no longer look at 911's, even the GT3 Touring does not have the same allure anymore.

The Vantage is a daily driver and that part of my life is very rewarding.

Old 05-19-2019, 08:47 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
I gave a Porsche driving instructor a ride in my Vantage. It was the first Aston he'd ever been in. After our drive, he's thinking of selling his track GT2 and going with an track prepped Vantage... He was blown away and didn't realize how well it handled and felt. The James Bond sensation you get from the car is real. Many under estimate the capabilities of an Aston due to posh interior and fine touches.

You mentioned a manual is out of the picture due to medical necessity. Have you considered a DB9? The handling and excitement is more the magazines make it out to be. You can go around a corner mighty fast in a DB9 and I really like how the ZF transaxles are set up. It may be "slower" than the PDK, but the rev matching, sounds and "drama" with gear shift (up or down) is more enjoyable than the PDK. It's plenty fast enough for setting up any corner on public roads or non-racing on track.

Old 05-19-2019, 10:19 AM
Mathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Mathman85
... holy old thread. The OP may be dead by now... hasn't been on this site in nearly five years.
Just want to remind everyone that this is a zombie thread from 2013.

But since it has spawned a live 911 vs Vantage discussion, I'll add my take.

The more I do track days, the more I realize that a 911, out of the box, is a better track car. That is not to diminish the capabilities of the Vantage--it is a HUGELY capable track car--it's just that the 911 has become that good on a track. (I suspect it's German stubbornness... rather than admit they put the engine in the wrong place, they just found a way to make it fantastic.) I joke that the hardest part of buying a Vantage is not buying a similar-cost 911, because the 911 would be faster around a track. (Timely anecdote: I spent last Saturday at the track... it was wet all day, but I spent the majority of it passing people. Until the last lap of the day, when the track was nearly dry, and I had to let two 911s by on sequential straights because, despite having more acceleration on the straights, they just didn't have to slow down as much as I did in the turns, and I was going to hold them up if I didn't.)

However, the thing every driver must decide is how to weight track performance against all the other driving experiences: looks, sound, feel, etc. The 911 might make me happier the few times I look at my lap timer... the Vantage will make me happier every other time (and that includes when I just walk into my garage to get a tool and see it there). So I bought the Vantage. If lap times are that much more important to you, and you spend a lot of time on the track, the 911 might just be the better choice.

Originally Posted by Robin Warner of Road and Track
The GT may take a few extra tenths (of-a-second) to get somewhere, but evokes pure joy during the journey. Every blat of the V-8 echoes right through your temples. Each gear shift feels like an award for a velocity-stacking job-well-done. Maybe this little Aston isn't quite as fast as the competition, but you sense the speed: sensation is good.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...-than-numbers/

Last edited by Mathman85; 05-19-2019 at 10:22 AM.
Old 05-29-2019, 07:30 PM
dcarrer0 has much to be proud ofdcarrer0 has much to be proud ofdcarrer0 has much to be proud ofdcarrer0 has much to be proud ofdcarrer0 has much to be proud ofdcarrer0 has much to be proud ofdcarrer0 has much to be proud ofdcarrer0 has much to be proud of
First time owner for 4 weeks now. 2014 V8V. 5yr/100,000 mile extended warranty for $6k. Thought it would be worth it.

Old 05-30-2019, 06:36 AM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
Aston Martin Warranties are sold in one or two years I thought about $7,500 for two years - no mile limits. Is your warranty a third party or if an Aston Warranty was a fantastic deal.

Old 06-03-2019, 08:43 AM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
Love the color of your Vantage. What is it? Need more info on your car, Interior,options,ect.

Ron

Old 06-03-2019, 09:11 AM
dcarrer0 has much to be proud ofdcarrer0 has much to be proud ofdcarrer0 has much to be proud ofdcarrer0 has much to be proud ofdcarrer0 has much to be proud ofdcarrer0 has much to be proud ofdcarrer0 has much to be proud ofdcarrer0 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Ron Avery
Love the color of your Vantage. What is it? Need more info on your car, Interior,options,ect.

Ron
Thanks Ron. I'll post some pics. The color is Bull Grey. Definitely unique and love it as well. Can look grey, can look brown.
Not sure what more options you can get on this car besides the S or GT version but it has the 7- speed sport shift transmission, 700watt premium stereo which I think is made by Alpine, Sport suspension, front & rear parking sensors with review camera, black textured tailpipe finisher, wind deflector, clear rear lamps, black sports grill, glass buttons, black interior with red stitching, black piano facing, heated seats, sports steering wheel, uxe package, I think that maybe it. I would hope most of these cars come pretty loaded.

Old 06-03-2019, 09:19 AM
Originally Posted by Prefurbia
Aston Martin Warranties are sold in one or two years I thought about $7,500 for two years - no mile limits. Is your warranty a third party or if an Aston Warranty was a fantastic deal.
Hi, yes the warranty is through a third party. Integrity Warranty LLC. 5yr or 100,000 miles, $0 deductible for $6,179. I figured it was worth it. I definitely debated it.