Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Windscreen shock!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2019, 12:51 AM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
Windscreen shock!

Guys I have to have a new front screen, my insurance says 25% of claim value if window is not local supply ( then it would not have any excess) so Aston not local supply option the window is R76127.00 fitted.
with my contribution at around R20000.00.

I cant believe the screen is 6000 USD in real money and in SA one can purchase a small car for that amount of cash, now I'm looking closer at my insurance policy as I could have negotiated a better deal, so just check your cover as this is is a very unesassary expense.

in contrast I had a screen fitted in my mustang GT a few months ago total cost was under 1000 USD .....yet Aston is right over the top!
to say the least I'm a little unhappy

Old 05-25-2019, 06:38 AM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by captain Greg
Guys I have to have a new front screen, my insurance says 25% of claim value if window is not local supply ( then it would not have any excess) so Aston not local supply option the window is R76127.00 fitted.
with my contribution at around R20000.00.

I cant believe the screen is 6000 USD in real money and in SA one can purchase a small car for that amount of cash, now I'm looking closer at my insurance policy as I could have negotiated a better deal, so just check your cover as this is is a very unesassary expense.

in contrast I had a screen fitted in my mustang GT a few months ago total cost was under 1000 USD .....yet Aston is right over the top!
to say the least I'm a little unhappy
This insane windshield pricing from Aston has been discussed before. I believe I was quoted $8K for a heated windshield. I almost thought about going to England and and buying the dam thing ang bringing it back .

Old 05-25-2019, 07:38 AM
bobdisp will become famous soon enough
The rear glass replacement in my DB9 was $3,000 4 months ago at my AM dealership. I was $700 out of pocket with my deductible and delivery (enclosed carrier) charge. I was lucky the glass was in the US. I was 3 weeks without my AM.

Old 05-28-2019, 08:10 AM
RolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura about
Vantage heated windshield was $3200 and $600 for install here in FL (about 2yrs ago.) There is no aftermarket... you have to go to the dealer. And no other shop wants to even touch it anyway.. FL has free windshield replacement no deductible if yours is cracked and can't be repaired. (generally a crack bigger than a dollar bill is the metric for being able to epoxy or not.) Insurance company balked, but ultimately the handed me a check for $3800.

They damaged THREE in shipping from England. I finally got a good one the 4th. (yes, they scrapped $10k in windshields! and I waited months.)

A little staggering the windshield is 10% the current value of the car!

Old 05-29-2019, 07:38 AM
boxercupdave has a spectacular aura aboutboxercupdave has a spectacular aura about
I try to keep my car somewhat original and if I ever need a windshield I would prefer to have the Aston one but not at that cost. Need to find a bigger shield with similar profile (maybe a truck) that one of the creative folks could cut down. There is a business where craftsman take a shield from another vehicle but with a similar profile and them cut them to the correct dimensions. If this could be done for our cars I might buy a couple for spares.

A video of someone performing the process below.

Old 05-30-2019, 09:45 PM
Ksa
Ksa is an unknown quantity at this point
Wow had no idea the windshield's are so expensive! Hell I am never tailgating anyone ever again lol. Also, it helps having a protector film on the windshield as I see some chips on that bit not the windshield itself. *knock on wood*

Old 06-01-2019, 03:14 AM
irvineboy is on a distinguished road
Is the front windshield all heated? I had no idea that it came as heated.

Old 06-01-2019, 06:13 AM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by irvineboy
Is the front windshield all heated? I had no idea that it came as heated.
I believe the heated windshield is an option.

Old 06-02-2019, 11:33 AM
FatFrank has a spectacular aura aboutFatFrank has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by RolexDaytona1
Vantage heated windshield was $3200 and $600 for install here in FL (about 2yrs ago.) There is no aftermarket... you have to go to the dealer. And no other shop wants to even touch it anyway.. FL has free windshield replacement no deductible if yours is cracked and can't be repaired. (generally a crack bigger than a dollar bill is the metric for being able to epoxy or not.) Insurance company balked, but ultimately the handed me a check for $3800.

They damaged THREE in shipping from England. I finally got a good one the 4th. (yes, they scrapped $10k in windshields! and I waited months.)

A little staggering the windshield is 10% the current value of the car!
Don’t think Aston owners are alone with this pain. My Tesla MS windshield was cracked and claim submitted in August, finally sourced and replaced in March....ugh

Old 06-03-2019, 12:14 AM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
I just switched from Liberty Mutual back to State Farm, and when I switched to Liberty they made a point of saying all windshield replacements are free. I told the SF rep that and she checked and it's also free under SF under a different provision. I told them both evidently they've never had to pay for one because that's going to run them 5k.

Capt., what happened?

Old 06-03-2019, 11:36 AM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by HabitualOffender
I just switched from Liberty Mutual back to State Farm, and when I switched to Liberty they made a point of saying all windshield replacements are free. I told the SF rep that and she checked and it's also free under SF under a different provision. I told them both evidently they've never had to pay for one because that's going to run them 5k.

Capt., what happened?

Small stone schip went to have it resin filled in the hope it would prevent further cracking have had this done before with great results
when they pumped the resin in it cracked

anyway screen is already in Cape Town and I arrive back on Wednesday so taking it in on Thursday and will have it back on the weekend

insurance paid me out 57 of the 76 so I paid 25% of the claim value , still a tuff pill ..