Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

is there and end all be all solution to having a school bus aston?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 12:01 PM
XWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura about
you guys are funny.

100mph to 60, ride the brakes if you can. 5 times. that will bed the brakes. Or if you are not so bold, 80 to 40mph. really hard stops!

if that doesn't work, there is a spray that you can put on the back of the pads, and if that doesn't work. try some new pads. chamfering them wont work. its the bedding process and type of the pad material you are dealing with.

Old 11-09-2013, 04:38 PM
wa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by XWCGT
you guys are funny.

100mph to 60, ride the brakes if you can. 5 times. that will bed the brakes. Or if you are not so bold, 80 to 40mph. really hard stops!

if that doesn't work, there is a spray that you can put on the back of the pads, and if that doesn't work. try some new pads. chamfering them wont work. its the bedding process and type of the pad material you are dealing with.
tried bedding them, did some severe stops.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:42 AM
rbobby is on a distinguished road
When I first got mine, car had 8k miles on it and had the same exact squeak, 5 mph to stop when approaching stop light. Stock everything I believe. Dealer did something to them but came back after a few weeks. A technician said I need to use the brakes hard periodically to clean it. I try to exercise the brakes whenever it's safe to do so. Gradually it did go away. I feel like if I don't drive it at least once a week, squeak tends to come back a bit and after a spirited run, no issues.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:52 AM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
On the other post I said that my 07 squealed - my 09 does not. I bought it used, so I have no idea of 09 and later are silent or if I have nonstandard pads.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:44 PM
XWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by wa1l1in
tried bedding them, did some severe stops.
sever stops wont do it. you really need to get the pads and rotors very hot.
80 to 40 , repeated stops, right to the point where you have sever brake fade. you can moniter this with two foot brake and gas operation. floor it, and apply brake with clutch foot. they will heat up rapidly and allow for a good bed'in for the pads. this is much easier to do with new pads and rotors. But if you have squeeling, its imperfections and you need to wear the surfaces together, and this is how you do it. OR the bandaid is backing plate s and anti vibration spray (sticky spray on the back of the pad)

Old 11-13-2013, 07:53 AM
oo7
oo7 will become famous soon enoughoo7 will become famous soon enough
I too am at my wits end. A pad maker recommended highly on this forum is who I went with to replace the originals. I replaced only the backs. I am now on my second set from the maker and have done everything imaginable to stop the squeal to no avail, and I mean everything, resurfaced rotors, AM rubber backed shims grease, blue stuff, three different kinds of permatex type material applied by an expert and have probably spent more overall break life bedding than a normal year of driving and have ear priercing noise from around twenty mph to zero growing louder the slower the car goes. Most pronounced under light breaking. If driven 9/10ths continual the noise is slight approaching zero, but that is not how one drives on public roads. BTW, I have had many hours on the track and there i would not care about brake noise at all. I hope the people at the place I purchased will be so kind as to return my money. If not I will have a set for the rear of a V8V I will being giving away. If anyone has any other ideas please post. The breaks pads do have excellent stopping power, in my attempts to bed the breaks and get the pad and rotors acclimated, i was surprised at how strong and how long they took to fade in the powerband of third with breaks applied. I have a set of new rotors to put on the car, but am fearful I will have the same problem, as resurfaced rotors are "new" as far as the pads know. Does anyone know if it is possible the noise is from the pins holding the pads? This is the only thing I can think of that was treated, but could be addressed more aggressively.

Old 11-13-2013, 12:51 PM
chirag is a jewel in the roughchirag is a jewel in the roughchirag is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by 007 Vantage
Carbotech 1521 pads front & rear will cure all your problems. No shims necessary no nonsense. It will also eliminate dust as well.
I had carbotechs on my v8v. when they were first installed they squeaked like nothing ive heard before...but after driving a little all the noise went away. perhaps it was bc I kept the oem shim on as well....

Old 11-14-2013, 01:49 AM
Originally Posted by oo7
I too am at my wits end. A pad maker recommended highly on this forum is who I went with to replace the originals. I replaced only the backs. I am now on my second set from the maker and have done everything imaginable to stop the squeal to no avail, and I mean everything, resurfaced rotors, AM rubber backed shims grease, blue stuff, three different kinds of permatex type material applied by an expert and have probably spent more overall break life bedding than a normal year of driving and have ear priercing noise from around twenty mph to zero growing louder the slower the car goes. Most pronounced under light breaking. If driven 9/10ths continual the noise is slight approaching zero, but that is not how one drives on public roads. BTW, I have had many hours on the track and there i would not care about brake noise at all. I hope the people at the place I purchased will be so kind as to return my money. If not I will have a set for the rear of a V8V I will being giving away. If anyone has any other ideas please post. The breaks pads do have excellent stopping power, in my attempts to bed the breaks and get the pad and rotors acclimated, i was surprised at how strong and how long they took to fade in the powerband of third with breaks applied. I have a set of new rotors to put on the car, but am fearful I will have the same problem, as resurfaced rotors are "new" as far as the pads know. Does anyone know if it is possible the noise is from the pins holding the pads? This is the only thing I can think of that was treated, but could be addressed more aggressively.
rears are almost impossible to bed due to the break bias of the car, and the tremendous front rotor size and capability of the front brakes. it sounds like its a pad problem. ive only seen this with race pads and this is especially true on the rear pads with dual duty cars. (track/street). pagid back racing pads will do this (RS14) but the oranges will not, but will squeal a little if not bedded properly. best to go with a less aggressive street pad, especially in the rear. Fronts, if bedded correctly on flat no grooved rotors, will not squeal as long as you are not using a race pad.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:46 AM
aacstyle is on a distinguished road
Not having issues with the brakes squeaking but rather the e-brake squeaking at low speeds (stop-and-go traffic). If I pull up on the handle just slightly while it is squeaking it goes right away. Anyone experience this?

Old 11-14-2013, 11:12 AM
Originally Posted by aacstyle
Not having issues with the brakes squeaking but rather the e-brake squeaking at low speeds (stop-and-go traffic). If I pull up on the handle just slightly while it is squeaking it goes right away. Anyone experience this?
its a separate caliper, so you can maybe sand the pads down to fix it. if they are not fully releasing, it could be a problem in the hydraulics of the circuit.

see if the rotors are hot after a long straight (mile or two on the hyway) with out using the brakes, coasting to a stop.. if they are, you could have an issue there.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:58 AM
aacstyle is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by XWCGT
its a separate caliper, so you can maybe sand the pads down to fix it. if they are not fully releasing, it could be a problem in the hydraulics of the circuit.

see if the rotors are hot after a long straight (mile or two on the hyway) with out using the brakes, coasting to a stop.. if they are, you could have an issue there.
Its an intermittent squeak, like the pad only contacts the rotor at a certain point. Not sure if that makes sense... the slower you go the slower the squeak is.

I think it is releasing fully because the car will coast from a slow roll, I don't necessarily feel any drag.

Does seem to get louder with use, had it on the track for a track day and it was very loud afterwards.

Old 12-08-2013, 03:18 PM
Wildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of lightWildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of lightWildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of lightWildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of lightWildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by oo7
Which pads are you talking about?

Old 12-11-2013, 03:43 PM
wa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of light
took everything apart, i guess it was the rears the entire time... fronts are new.. rears are paperthin and gone.... insane. the brake bias must be towards the backs.

Old 12-15-2013, 02:19 PM
MichaelD will become famous soon enough
Excessive wear on the rears is usually caused by the traction control, that puts the rear brakes on to limit wheelspin.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:58 PM
Wildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of lightWildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of lightWildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of lightWildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of lightWildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by 007 Vantage
Carbotech 1521 pads front & rear will cure all your problems. No shims necessary no nonsense. It will also eliminate dust as well.
I want to confirm above. I replaced my pagid brake pads from my school bus aston Martin with carbotech 1521 (had to send in old pads as they don't have metal plates for brake pads). I was bit skeptical about not putting in shims buy oo7 vantage is right.

After I replaced my DB9 will occasionally squeak but after driving may be 100 miles all noise is COMPLETELY GONE ( I did the bedding ritual). I am so so so happy, $500 for custom pads well worth it.

Brake performance is also very good, I don't race, routine drive.

There is little bit of dust but probably 90-95% less than OEM.

Thank you 007 vantage for suggesting carbotech 1521