Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

is there and end all be all solution to having a school bus aston?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 10:27 AM
wa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of light
is there and end all be all solution to having a school bus aston?

my brakes squeal like a school bus,

i tried bedding them in, stopped it for short term but it came back

removed pads and beveled the edges 30degree's, still squeals,

i bought the aston martin squeal shims from dealer, installed and still squeals.

car has factory pagid's, and had factory pagid prior to that.

my next thought is 200grit the rotors w/ an orbital sander and the pads, and clean with brake cleaner and hope for the best..

i also have rear ebrake squeal when turning (turning left is left side, turning right is right side).

i basically drive an Aston school bus :-/

any help is appreciated. pads are brand new and installed by dealer.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:33 AM
sonnyd is a jewel in the roughsonnyd is a jewel in the roughsonnyd is a jewel in the rough
I'm using StopTech street performance pads. Less dust, no squeeeeek.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:41 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Have you tried getting some decent speed in reverse and then stopping using the e-brake? That can help clean the rears up again to eliminate the squeal. It works for me, at least. Then do it with the main brakes. That might clean the front. (Of course you should do this in a safe area.)

Old 11-08-2013, 10:49 AM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
Have the rotors turned on a brake lathe, that's the last stop before buying new ones.

Old 11-08-2013, 12:59 PM
wa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by sonnyd
I'm using StopTech street performance pads. Less dust, no squeeeeek.
where did you get them?

Originally Posted by drcollie
Have the rotors turned on a brake lathe, that's the last stop before buying new ones.
should i ask for the pads to be resurfaced as well or sanded to get to a clean face? i assume theirs material on pad and rotor that's causing it?

Old 11-08-2013, 02:44 PM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
Squealing is caused by ultra high speed vibration of the pad upon the rotor or in the caliper brackets. So you have to find the source of that vibration and eliminate it. Most of the time its either the pads not getting a good, smooth, clean bite on the rotors and/or the pad moving against the caliper. Since you have tried everything else, I'd say turn the rotors if they still have lots of material left to be in spec. You can change to some other pads, but that's another three hundred bucks or so to experiment with. It's pretty rare for any brakes to squeal on a fresh rotor surface if you have the anti-squeal shims installed. Good luck!

Old 11-08-2013, 04:54 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Carbotech 1521 pads front & rear will cure all your problems. No shims necessary no nonsense. It will also eliminate dust as well.

Old 11-08-2013, 04:54 PM
Originally Posted by drcollie
Squealing is caused by ultra high speed vibration of the pad upon the rotor or in the caliper brackets. So you have to find the source of that vibration and eliminate it. Most of the time its either the pads not getting a good, smooth, clean bite on the rotors and/or the pad moving against the caliper. Since you have tried everything else, I'd say turn the rotors if they still have lots of material left to be in spec. You can change to some other pads, but that's another three hundred bucks or so to experiment with. It's pretty rare for any brakes to squeal on a fresh rotor surface if you have the anti-squeal shims installed. Good luck!
it's only slow speeds.. 5-1mph.. then stops..

i'll do what i can and clean everything up and check the pads... they slid in good and are held pretty tight.. but might be missing something..

Old 11-08-2013, 05:14 PM
62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by wa1l1in
it's only slow speeds.. 5-1mph.. then stops..
Me too.

Old 11-08-2013, 05:46 PM
Originally Posted by 62Jeff
Me too.
i will figure it out this week.... most embarrassing car ever, my carbon ceramics didn't even squeal this much....

Old 11-08-2013, 06:43 PM
FatFrank has a spectacular aura aboutFatFrank has a spectacular aura about
i will figure it out this week.... most embarrassing car ever, my carbon ceramics didn't even squeal this much....
Did you fit copper grease behind the pads, and on the piston contact area in addition to the new anti squeal shims? I noticed after I had new pads and discs fitted at the dealer last year that I could see the copper grease squeezing out somewhat behind the pads, and that my squeaking had gone.

Squeaking stayed away until recently when I accidently drove away with the handbrake on, and now they seem to squeak a little again. Makes me think that there might be something in what telum01 says above.....

FF

Old 11-08-2013, 10:59 PM
tko211 is a jewel in the roughtko211 is a jewel in the roughtko211 is a jewel in the rough
9 months ago I bought my AMV8 used. It needed all new rotors and all new pads. Bought all factory OEM stuff and mine squeaked sooooo bad. Had them looked at by 3 different mechanics. no change... Dorve on them for 3k miles... no real change. Did 70-0mph hard stops 2 dozen times. Helped a tiny bit...
Got really pissed off, drove down to Vegas just to see an Aston dealer about it. They turned my rotors and blessed the Vantage with holy water or whatever the hell... Helped for 2 weeks. Finally they slowly and eventually stopped making the noise. By that time I had to have put 5k miles on the car.

I'm REALLY looking forward to the next time I have to replace those parts... -said nobody EVER!

Old 11-09-2013, 03:56 AM
MichaelD will become famous soon enough
There is some blue stuff the dealers use behind the pads now, an update on coppa-slip, that seems to have a 100% success rate. You'll probably have an equivalent over there

Old 11-09-2013, 08:41 AM
Originally Posted by MichaelD
There is some blue stuff the dealers use behind the pads now, an update on coppa-slip, that seems to have a 100% success rate. You'll probably have an equivalent over there
already tried the blue spray... no help.

right now i have brake pad (it has a rubbery backing, then the metal shim, then the anti squeal shims from aston (rubber self stick piece).. and then blue spray.

i'm thinking maybe it's because of the overkill it squeals?

i'm getting my snow tires on soon and when all wheels off i'll have em refinish my rotors.. and use copious amounts of brake cleaner.

Old 11-09-2013, 11:03 AM
FatFrank has a spectacular aura aboutFatFrank has a spectacular aura about
already tried the blue spray... no help.

right now i have brake pad (it has a rubbery backing, then the metal shim, then the anti squeal shims from aston (rubber self stick piece).. and then blue spray.

i'm thinking maybe it's because of the overkill it squeals?

i'm getting my snow tires on soon and when all wheels off i'll have em refinish my rotors.. and use copious amounts of brake cleaner.
Copper grease (or blue spray if it's the same thing?) needs to be carefully applied to all contact areas of the pad, including the locating areas, not just the piston face.

As Pro mentions there is also a proper new break bedding in procedure that needs to be followed (one of the techs on here could probably enlighten us but I definitely remember my dealer tech telling me how important it was)

In my experience with many Brembo calipered cars a good dose of brake cleaner will be sure to clean out absolutely every lubricant and induce squeal......

FF

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: is there and end all be all solution to having a school bus aston?