Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Automatic or Manual V8 Vantage? Manual any fun?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 10:56 AM
MrNurse has a spectacular aura aboutMrNurse has a spectacular aura about
Automatic or Manual V8 Vantage? Manual any fun?

I'm considering getting an 07/08 V8V as my next car to replace my manual Boxster S

A little background:
I've always had a manual car. My first was an Acura RSX-S.
I currently DD a Boxster-S with a few mods. I love to Auto-X and HPDE at least 4x a year.

I always told myself I will have a manual. I love downshifting, heel-toeing, the sound, and the control of having a stick. I live in Manhattan but I've never regretting having a manual. The only time I regret it is when I have to let go of my woman's hand when I shift- which is frequently.
I've driven a few PDK Porsches and found it uninspiring and boring in comparison.
The other cars I've considered is a 360 Modena, a Gallardo, or a 911 Turbo which I would NEVER get in auto.

My dilemma:
Because the V8V is more of a GT car, I feel like it's meant to be an automatic- driving down the city at night, relaxing, listening to Jazz, and feeling like James Bond while cruising down the streets of Manhattan.

I initially intended on getting a manual V8V but is it still fun and inspiring? Does it feel natural to drive a manual V8V or would it feel unnecessary; like driving a manual mid-sized family sedan?

Thank you!
-BJ

Old 11-20-2013, 11:07 AM
AXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to behold
The 6sp manual V8 Vantage is a delight to drive. I've owned an 07 and now a Vantage S 13. I never considered the automatic. I drive my car into the "city" a lot (tonight even). I also don't think of my car as more of a GT car… Perhaps the DB9 is more of a GT cars but then again, I'd order that with a stick (if I could) as it doesn't have the option of a manual.

Last edited by AXARUNNER; 11-20-2013 at 11:09 AM.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:48 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Go manual. You'll have no regrets. The automated manuals use a bit dated technology.

Old 11-20-2013, 11:51 AM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Based on what you just posted, I would say get a manual, 100%.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
Office: (1)250-485-5126
www.velocityap.com
Old 11-20-2013, 01:34 PM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
I came from a manual Boxster S 987 (with A-X and track day backgrounds) into a Vantage with a manual trans. The Aston is WAY-WAY more fun that the auto-shift and has a very nice gearbox in it for cable operated like the Porsche.

My other car is a BMW with Dual Clutch Trans. It's trick and more sophisticated than the Aston aut0-shift, but its a bore and soon you drive it as you would any other automatic.

Old 11-20-2013, 01:56 PM
IbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by MrNurse
I'm considering getting an 07/08 V8V as my next car to replace my manual Boxster S
Great direction you are heading.

...The only time I regret it is when I have to let go of my woman's hand when I shift- which is frequently.
Try holding her hand on the top of the shifter, yours over top of hers, shift normally. Drive aggressively. She will very quickly demand that you find a place to...you know...trust me on this

My dilemma:
Because the V8V is more of a GT car, I feel like it's meant to be an automatic- driving down the city at night, relaxing, listening to Jazz, and feeling like James Bond while cruising down the streets of Manhattan.
Nope. The Vantage is a lux sports car, not a GT. What's great about it is that it's a sports car when you want it to be AND it's a great boulevard cruiser. I love jazz in mine.

I initially intended on getting a manual V8V but is it still fun and inspiring? Does it feel natural to drive a manual V8V or would it feel unnecessary; like driving a manual mid-sized family sedan?[/I][/SIZE]
NOTHING like a manual sedan. NOTHING.
Drivers like you are the reason Aston Martin keeps making manuals available and why they keep selling. A manual Vantage is exactly what you are after.

Old 11-20-2013, 02:31 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Is that even a serious question?! .

Exponentially more fun than automatic speed shift

Old 11-20-2013, 03:09 PM
TripleNet has a spectacular aura aboutTripleNet has a spectacular aura about
I cant see driving in Manhattan in a Vantage at all.... Manual or auto ....

Take a cab ..... .... :-)

Old 11-20-2013, 03:28 PM
RossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by drcollie
My other car is a BMW with Dual Clutch Trans. It's trick and more sophisticated than the Aston aut0-shift, but its a bore and soon you drive it as you would any other automatic.
This is the truth! I owned an M3 for 3 months and sold because the DCT was too good. It was boring to drive in manual mode and owning an automatic in a sports car is boring.

Regarding the Vantage's Sportshift. It's far from boring. You will always be in manual mode and will need to fluctuate the gas with shifts to smooth it out. I enjoyed doing this when I owned one. However Aston has nothing that beats their manual. I highly recommend the manual over the Sportshift.

Old 11-20-2013, 04:43 PM
Texas F1 will become famous soon enough
When I started searching for a 07/08 Vantage earlier this year, the manual gearbox was the one feature I insisted on. Seemed like the 6 speeds were more difficult to find in the market place, but I'm glad I waited for the right car. You won't regret getting the manual.

Old 11-20-2013, 05:14 PM
jroback is on a distinguished road
I drove both before I bought my manual V8V. It was the right choice for me -- its just a lot more fun.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:19 PM
MrNurse has a spectacular aura aboutMrNurse has a spectacular aura about
Thanks for your opinions everyone. Looks like you all recommend the manual which I believe is what I'll be going for.
In relation to all my other options as I have stated above, the V8V was the most GT-ish. I was almost thinking of it as something like a Bentley Continental GT (would I would get in auto).

Originally Posted by drcollie
I came from a manual Boxster S 987 (with A-X
and track day backgrounds) into a Vantage with a manual trans. The Aston is WAY-WAY more fun that the auto-shift and has a very nice gearbox in it for cable operated like the Porsche.

You're the perfect person to ask then
How does the Aston Martin compare to the 987S in terms of the transmission and everything else.
I'm also very curious about acceleration-wise as the test figures show that it's not that much quicker than the 987S. I would like my next car to have noticeably more thrust because the 987S is lacking in that department.

Originally Posted by IbisRider
Great direction you are heading.

Try holding her hand on the top of the shifter, yours over top of hers, shift normally. Drive aggressively. She will very quickly demand that you find a place to...you know...trust me on this

Nope. The Vantage is a lux sports car, not a GT. What's great about it is that it's a sports car when you want it to be AND it's a great boulevard cruiser. I love jazz in mine.

NOTHING like a manual sedan. NOTHING.
Drivers like you are the reason Aston Martin keeps making manuals available and why they keep selling. A manual Vantage is exactly what you are after.
Haha, I've had her hand on top of mine, but will see if it makes a difference the other way around And I don't think it was the driving that did it for her, it was probably the wine..and maybe a little bit of the driving

I'd definitely like to explore the sporty side of Aston. I'll have to schedule a test drive when I'm getting closer to making my purchase.

Originally Posted by TripleNet
I cant see driving in Manhattan in a Vantage at all.... Manual or auto ....

Take a cab ..... .... :-)
Why not? In the public garage, I park next to a 575M, Audi R8, Aston Martin V8V, 1973 Porsche and another classic Ferrari.
Where my woman lives, there's an Aston Martin I always see parked on the street.

Old 11-22-2013, 05:30 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
. . . I was almost thinking of it as something like a Bentley Continental GT . . . .
Not nearly that big/heavy of a car. I think the Vantage is actually shorter than a 911. While you can call the Vantage a GT, it really sits somewhere between GT and sports car, sports GT if you like.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:18 AM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
You're the perfect person to ask then
How does the Aston Martin compare to the 987S in terms of the transmission and everything else.I'm also very curious about acceleration-wise as the test figures show that it's not that much quicker than the 987S. I would like my next car to have noticeably more thrust because the 987S is lacking in that department.
I had a Design Edition 2, 2008 Boxster S, which had a slightly tweaked factory engine with an extra 8 HP than the standard 987 production car. The Aston Vantage I have (2007) has 380HP and weighs about 300 lb more then the Boxster S to the 75HP extra easily makes up for that. The Vantage has considerably more torque and low end grunt, that makes the Porsche 987S seem anemic in comparison. Its not that the Porsche is slow, because its not - but you have to wind the 987 engine to 4,200 rpm before it gets on the pipe and starts going. The Aston starts picking up much lower than that, about 3,000 rpm. The Aston gearbox is nicer as the Porsche feels like a bowl of noodles unless you installed the factory short shift kit (which I had in mine). The newer Vantages, 2009 and up have 430 HP, so if you can afford that upgrade and want more power, target an 09 model year.

The Vantage is not a GT car, Its a sports car that is on par with a 911S of its same era. Its also not nearly as large as it looks, it has the exact same length and width dimensions of my BMW 135i and that amazes people when they see it side by side. What the Vantage really reminds me of is a BMW E36 M3 from 1995 with another 120 HP added. It's an exceptionally delightful car to drive quickly on the track (like that BMW) and is very forgiving and easy to toss about. It's not the smoothest riding car out there - but no more harsh than a 987 Boxster.

Overall, its worlds apart from the Porsche in the Art of the Car. Don't buy it for performance, because there are faster cars out there - but for spectacular paint, interior craftsmanship and all over component build it makes you realize how factory-made Porsches really are.

Old 11-23-2013, 12:48 PM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
my vantage is a 6 speed manual when its cold its clunky in first / second , I would not change it for an auto, most aston owners have more than one car i use my auto wen i need to do humdrum stuf like go to the city now and again and then in bumber to bumer an auto (with power is the SH(**(*TE but I would not have the vantage with an auto change ever...I would rather gargle with bees

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Automatic or Manual V8 Vantage? Manual any fun?