Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Red calipers for vantage ('06)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 01:21 PM
XWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura about
Red calipers for vantage ('06)

so, i give up. what are you guys doing to get the red calipers. painting them or trading for red versions of the brembos?

what does it cost for a pair of red front calipers only?

Old 12-12-2013, 01:26 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Paint them, don't buy new ones. I have a thread somewhere about sourcing decals with the correct font for the "Aston Martin" on the calipers.

Old 12-12-2013, 01:30 PM
IbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant future
They came from the factory that way.

Don't know why more of the dark paint spec'd cars didn't also get red brakes. Wouldn't love looking at my car as much without them.

Old 12-12-2013, 01:32 PM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by XWCGT
so, i give up. what are you guys doing to get the red calipers. painting them or trading for red versions of the brembos?

what does it cost for a pair of red front calipers only?
What color are yours?

I've never been really keen on the red ones on my car....they're a little to much on the blue, I think.....they were an extra cost option on my car according to the window sticker.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	HRE12_zpsd0795747.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	310824  
Old 12-12-2013, 03:43 PM
frankgtb is on a distinguished road
i know brightly colored calipers are very popular today but does anyone else besides me think they look too trendy and wont stand the test of time?

Old 12-12-2013, 05:40 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Unhappy

I don't know if they'll look dated. They've been around for a long time now, so it's not like they're a flash-in-the-pan fad. That said, I think that bright calipers look best on true sports cars and less good on more "refined" GT-type cars like Astons.

Edit: not sure why the frowny face appeared. Must be a touch screen error.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:46 PM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
I think that Porsche was the first to put them on the production 911 Turbos back in either The 70's or the 80's as the famous "Big Reds", renowned for their stopping power. Not positive on the but certainly they've been around with no end in sight. Even Tesla will put them on your new electric car for a small up charge!

Old 12-12-2013, 10:06 PM
Originally Posted by Racer_X
I don't know if they'll look dated. They've been around for a long time now, so it's not like they're a flash-in-the-pan fad. That said, I think that bright calipers look best on true sports cars and less good on more "refined" GT-type cars like Astons.

Edit: not sure why the frowny face appeared. Must be a touch screen error.
good point yes i think u r right they look even more out of place on "refined" classic designs....only time will tell....maybe ill just buy stock in vht paint and they,ll probably start looking better to me

Old 12-12-2013, 10:10 PM
Originally Posted by drcollie
I think that Porsche was the first to put them on the production 911 Turbos back in either The 70's or the 80's as the famous "Big Reds", renowned for their stopping power. Not positive on the but certainly they've been around with no end in sight. Even Tesla will put them on your new electric car for a small up charge!
dont remember 911s oem with those from factory.....always thought big reds were aftermarket brembos.....earliest ones i remember r the impreza wrx sti with the oem gold brembos

Old 12-13-2013, 12:34 AM
XWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by frankgtb
dont remember 911s oem with those from factory.....always thought big reds were aftermarket brembos.....earliest ones i remember r the impreza wrx sti with the oem gold brembos
oh yes, they were OEM on the Porsche turbos!

Old 12-13-2013, 05:07 AM
I had them stock from Porsche on my 1996 C4S for sure, and I think my pal John has them on his '86 Turbo that he bought brand new. I'll have to call him and ask him now, because I'm curious.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:01 AM
AH so porsche is to blame lol. I was always impressed with am that they didnt jump on the crossed drilled rotor(mostly cosmetic, crack like crazy) bandwagon like everybody else did

Old 12-13-2013, 09:21 AM
IbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant future
As with many other cosmetic choices, high contrast calipers are a "right place, right application" issue.

On my Tungsten body with Anthracite wheels, I feel that they are a brilliant highlight. Just the right amount of warm visual pop that ties into the accent of the tail lights and side markers. The theme carries to the interior Phantom Grey with coarse red stitch. It works because of the judicious use of the red as a small accent in a neutral field.

One can't just go slapping bright colored calipers into the wheel wells of any colored body with any old wheel. I find body color matched calipers (when the color is bright) garish and juvenile looking. Let's all take a moment to bask in the embarrassing memories of the 80s white out look, eh?

Just as with wheel designs and footwear choices, context is everything. As a painting teacher once told me, "there are no ugly colors, only ugly uses of colors". So I don't think there is a caliper color that is inherently wrong, only poor choices of caliper color for a given vehicle.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:02 AM
Originally Posted by frankgtb
AH so porsche is to blame lol. I was always impressed with am that they didnt jump on the crossed drilled rotor(mostly cosmetic, crack like crazy) bandwagon like everybody else did
Actually, Porsche was the first to come in with 'drilled rotors' on a factory production car as well - but they were aware of the cracking issue and their rotors were cast with the holes, not drilled. That's why you don't see factory Porsche rotors all 'cracked out' like the imports. The slotted is OK on the AM (I refer to them as 'cheese graters'0 but they don't do that much. When your brakes get really - really - really hot you have to go 2-piece rotors and then duct them to get some air. But those ducts don't work so good on the street as you're always tearing off the inlet hoses on some driveway apron.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:04 PM
interesting ...i track cars quite abit and have seen/changed many 911s with rotors that look like they are about to shatter they have so many cracks but they never shatter.....i heard the slots are suppost to release gases ....new 2014 corvette no longer has cross drilled and NOW has slots and brembos

Last edited by frankgtb; 12-13-2013 at 07:11 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Red calipers for vantage ('06)