Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Debating buying a V8V over a 911 (991) - couple questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 07:30 AM
NYU02 is on a distinguished road
Debating buying a V8V over a 911 (991) - couple questions

I was all set to purchase a Porsche 911 C4S when I decided last minute to test drive a 2011 R8 V10 and a new V8V. I was shocked by both. The R8 was as aggressive as I thought it would be, yet easy enough to drive everyday. Then I test drove the V8V & I sorta fell in love. Its extremely elegant yet you feel like you're in a bullet being shot down the highway. The interior craftsmanship is unmatched as well. It was a true joy to drive. The only reason I didn't pull the trigger was because I didn't know enough about the car yet. I've been so obsessed with all things Porsche, that I didn't do my homework. So, I have a few questions about the V8V that I was hoping you guys could answer.

1) Are they planning on introducing a completely new body any time soon? I know the car has been around for a while with only modest changes over the years.

2) If no, I was thinking of purchasing a 2010/11 with low miles (save on depreciation). On the 2010, the only difference I'm told is the updated navigation, which I don't really care about.

3) How is it for an everyday car? If I buy it, I want to drive it. I was told I would be far better off with a V8V than R8

4) Any other info about the car I should know or do to it if I get it?

I appreciate all your help. Thanks.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:39 AM
Aston502 will become famous soon enough
I've had an 07 roadster for 4 years as a daily driver. My last Porsche was a 996. The Porsche was an easier and more comfortable daily driver. You just can't beat the grin factor of the Aston Martin. It's a much more special car and you don't see one everyday either.

Old 12-29-2013, 09:25 AM
jroback is on a distinguished road
I am pretty new to AM; I bought an 07 V8V about 2 months ago. I use it as my daily driver and I am very happy with it (although I can't compare it to the others you're considering, since I don't have any experience with those cars). The only issue I have (which is getting better as I get back in the groove with a manual transmission) is stop and go traffic; these are the only instances where I wonder if I should have gotten an automatic. But I have no regrets in buying a V8V as a daily driver.

Regarding Aston502's comment, in the time I've had the V8V I have seen an uncountable number of Mercedes/BMWs/Audis, probably a hundred Porsches, about 5 Maseratis, the same number of Bentleys, and 1 Ferrari on the road. Never another AM on the road. You definitely don't see one every day, but every day you see dozen's of people looking at your car -- it really is very special.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:43 AM
Jay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud of
There are rumors of an update to the Vantage in a couple of years, but given the AMG deal, I suspect any major change won't happen until there's a new engine to go along with it.

As far as years go, the 09 got the engine and interior upgrade, so there's no big difference after that until you get to the 2012.5 where you get the ASM2 transmission in the sports shift models (which is also in the V8VS version).

I drive my 09 just about every day, the exceptions being when its snowing or when I have to go someplace I'd rather not park it, like Yankee Stadium.

As jroback mentions, you just don't see too many of these cars. When we have local meets you'll see Ferraris, Lamborghin's, Maseratis, and more Porches than you can shake a stick at, but only once in a blue moon will there be another Aston. Most people don't see them and have no idea if its new, old, what the model is, or how long the body style has been around.

Old 12-29-2013, 12:29 PM
jcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to behold
buy both like me

Old 12-29-2013, 05:09 PM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
An Aston Vantage is very comparable to a Porsche Carrera S. Parts prices will be higher on the Aston but they are not obscene. When you examine both cars and how they are built, you will see the Aston is truly hand-made and crafted - the Porsche is a factory production car. The 991 is more technologically advanced, the Aston has more character. Having had (3) 911's, I can tell you that women are VERY much more attracted to the Aston - which can be good, or bad, depending on if you want that attention. lol

Old 12-29-2013, 05:43 PM
dlchasen is just really nicedlchasen is just really nicedlchasen is just really nicedlchasen is just really nicedlchasen is just really nice
I sold my '07 C2S and bought a "new" 2012 V8VS. I, too, try to avoid the big early depreciation hit. I don't know what transmission you're thinking of, but I had to have the SSII due to a leg injury, and I must say that in spite of the bad press it usually gets, I enjoy it very much. Much more than the PDK which is a super-automatic, IMO. The SSII is very much like a manual without the third pedal. Great fun to drive in the manual mode.

The Aston is a bit quirky, and the electronics are not the most advanced, but the fit and finish and the quality of the materials are far superior to the 991. Also, while this is purely subjective, I think the AM is the best looking car on the road. I also enjoy the exclusivity and the quiet classiness. The Aston has the added quality of constantly reminding you that you're driving a vehicle which may represent the pinnacle of auto quality even though a competitor might beat you to the finish line -- by a hair. I should also mention that I have a strong preference for front engine RWD.

Old 12-29-2013, 05:55 PM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
Well said dlchasen

Old 12-30-2013, 09:02 AM
AXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to behold
Having owned a 911 and an Audi R8 and just having had the opportunity to move onto another Make, I chose to replace my 2007 V8 Vantage with a 2013 V8 Vantage S. No regrets as the new vehicle is so much better (evolved) than the one it replaced. The car can easily be used as a daily driver. It has that certain intangible that the other makes just don't have. Its more practical too with it's rear, nicely sized trunk. As for an updated, newly styled Vantage, I just don't know & I don't really care.

Old 12-30-2013, 12:42 PM
Baker19 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by NYU02
I was all set to purchase a Porsche 911 C4S when I decided last minute to test drive a 2011 R8 V10 and a new V8V. I was shocked by both. The R8 was as aggressive as I thought it would be, yet easy enough to drive everyday. Then I test drove the V8V & I sorta fell in love. Its extremely elegant yet you feel like you're in a bullet being shot down the highway. The interior craftsmanship is unmatched as well. It was a true joy to drive. The only reason I didn't pull the trigger was because I didn't know enough about the car yet. I've been so obsessed with all things Porsche, that I didn't do my homework. So, I have a few questions about the V8V that I was hoping you guys could answer.

1) Are they planning on introducing a completely new body any time soon? I know the car has been around for a while with only modest changes over the years.

2) If no, I was thinking of purchasing a 2010/11 with low miles (save on depreciation). On the 2010, the only difference I'm told is the updated navigation, which I don't really care about.

3) How is it for an everyday car? If I buy it, I want to drive it. I was told I would be far better off with a V8V than R8

4) Any other info about the car I should know or do to it if I get it?

I appreciate all your help. Thanks.
I was considering the same alternatives as you mentioned and chose a 2009 V8V and couldn't be more pleased. Just bought it a few months ago. My observations are:
1)the sportshift is MUCH better than the SMG in my M5 I sold but can't compare to the dual clutch systems of PDK or DCT. I drive mine 99% of the time in manual / paddle shifter mode and the 2009 and up models have the softwarre upgrade for the transmission that makes the shifts smoother.
2) The 420 HP in the 2009 and up is good but it won't totally blow you away.
3) The design and lines on the car are incomparable. I keep mine covered in the garage most of the time and get it out on nice days but I find myself pulling the cover off just to look at it quite often. You won't find yourself quite as enamored with a 911 but maybe more so with an R8.
4) Be prepared for lots of attention...100% positive. I drove it Saturday and parked it way out in the parking lot of the health club. A lady in an Escalade was just parked by it staring at it when I walked over to get in. She rolled her window down and asked me what it was and she said it was the most beautiful car she had ever seen. I drove it again the next day, parked away from everyone, and same thing. How many people pull up to a Porsche 911 and just sit there and stare at it? I'm not knocking the 911 as I think it's a superior car in many aspects...technology, performance (PDK is GREAT), and frankly I think the 911 is a better car as a daily driver. I have an Escalade and a new A7 and they both are much smoother cars to drive than the AM but the AM is such a special car.
5) Final point is do a search and you will see that you can get a steal on a new one. The dealer tried to talk me into a new one but I wasn't sure about the cars since it was my first experience with AM. You can pick up a brand new V8V for around $100K if you look around - cheaper than either one of the cars you mentioned. The dealers are offering huge rebates off the sticker.

Good luck with your decision. All three cars that you are looking at are great.

P.S. - Buy the Definitive Guide to the Gaydon Era Aston Martins. Search here or getfrom Amazon. It's about $50-60 and the best money you'll ever spend. I couldn't put it down and it will help educate you about everything you could possibly want / need to know on these cars.

Old 12-30-2013, 03:25 PM
blue_skies is just really niceblue_skies is just really niceblue_skies is just really niceblue_skies is just really niceblue_skies is just really nice
I would highly suggest a Vantage S to anyone also considering a 911. I'd driven 2 base V8 Vantages for an extended period of time and wasn't entirely impressed, but the S variant sold me.

The biggest concern I'd have with buying an AM now is what will happen to the depreciation once they start rolling the new ones out with Mercedes tech/engines.

With that said, it's hard to tell. I almost pulled the trigger on a new Gallardo when considering my DB9, but since the recent announcement of the Huracan (and its major improvements), I'm glad I didn't.

Old 12-30-2013, 04:29 PM
rohnin is on a distinguished road
glad you started this thread. i'm now swayed back towards the Vantage S from C4S

Old 12-30-2013, 06:31 PM
NYU02 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for all the input guys. I couldn't agree more with the above posts. I'm sold on a V8V over the R8 or porsche - just have to find a good deal, ha. Debating new vs 2011/12 with low miles. Only update I see is extra gear and navi update. Am I missing anything?

I'll keep you guys posted as I get closer to buying. Thanks. Also, anyone install a quicksilver exhaust after market?

Old 12-31-2013, 06:49 AM
WG_moots has a spectacular aura aboutWG_moots has a spectacular aura aboutWG_moots has a spectacular aura about
There are some used V12-Vantages out there too ... the last of the manual 6-speed V12 cars. They are "wonderful, wonderful, wonderful."

Old 12-31-2013, 11:16 AM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
I had an 07 with a manual Vantage - very heavy clutch is wearing in the city... now I have an 09 with SportShift - I very much like the SportShift over the Manual once I got used to it. The 09 is considerably more powerful.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Debating buying a V8V over a 911 (991) - couple questions