Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

60K miles report

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 04:23 PM
oo7
oo7 will become famous soon enoughoo7 will become famous soon enough
The trick doesn't always work. I have already put different oil in trans and it helps a little but not close to a cure. I 'm not a big fan of forcing things, especially expensive transmissions, and don't believe I would do anything to get more leverage. When you know your car well, you can move it out of gear with out forcing it in an easy relaxed way, (if you time it poorly it will not be good for the speed gears or linkage) and will be in neutral, (or you can double clutch which is safer but more cumbersome), then depress the clutch and engage upshift slowly with minimal force. I have found with the right pressure it shifts like the car has been run for hours, i.e. very easily. Other times if I miss that magic point, I can try again with just a little less pressure immediately and it will shift easy. Other times I can not get it to shift easy regardless, but I have used this technique successfully at 15F degrees. Just guessing, I would approximate it works nearly half the time first attempt and about a third of the time if I have retry. To me this hard shift seems to be more than just thick oil, however the cold oil plays a role in why it does it. What I find inexplicable is how easy it shifts stone cold when the "trick" works. To me it almost feels blocked by something. I would love for irish07 to try on several different cars when he has the opportunity to see his success rates and determine if there is much variance from car to car.

Old 01-27-2014, 07:05 PM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
The 1-2 gate does not line up correctly and the thick oil aids at this by not allowing the synchro to line up correctly neither..the thinner oil solves the synchro concern and the mod to the shifter surround and longer arm gives enough leverage to get the engaging fork to the correct gate...btw I'm not saying leverage as in to force into gear harder, the new arm gives longer stroke range horizontally and the surround mod gives more range vertically

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9
Office: (1)250-485-5126
Email: Tuning@VelocityAP.com

www.velocityap.com

Old 01-27-2014, 08:01 PM
black penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by oo7
Push accelerator pedal to the floor and hit the start button. The engine will turn over but not start. Start button is held until oil light extinguishes, then stop, and start as normal. This allows the engine to be lubricated before starting.
rep points for that!!

Also, just go 1st to 3rd until the tranny is warm.

Old 01-28-2014, 04:15 AM
oo7
irish07, That makes sense. I think that when it does shift correctly in the cold, it somehow achieves proper alignment. Is the mod to the shifter surround difficult? Anpics of before and after?

Old 01-28-2014, 05:21 AM
flinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to behold
A do-it-yourself improvement?

Irish 07, What has to be done to modify the shifter surround? Sounds like "more range vertically" (from your earlier post) is accomplished by removing material.

Is this something that could be addressed with a Dremel tool or a file? Is the interference point obvious, maybe a witness mark or removed paint?

Old 01-28-2014, 10:01 AM
cret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond repute
The mod is SB0236, which includes updated transmission oil and the gearshift lever. Gearshift Lever part # is 6G33-7C270-AA.

Here's a poor shot of old and new levers
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1513.jpeg
Views:	71
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	326330

Old 01-28-2014, 10:07 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cret
The mod is SB0236, which includes updated transmission oil and the gearshift lever. Gearshift Lever part # is 6G33-7C270-AA.

Attachment 326330
Awesome, thanks!

Old 01-28-2014, 10:39 AM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !

Attachment 326330
I had this service bulletin done to my car under warranty when new and it definitely made a difference.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:55 AM
oo7
[QUOTE=cret;4034106]The mod is SB0236, which includes updated transmission oil and the gearshift lever. Gearshift Lever part # is 6G33-7C270-AA.

Thanks !

Old 01-29-2014, 08:30 AM
cret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond repute
guys, credits to Irish07 please!

Originally Posted by karlfranz
I had this service bulletin done to my car under warranty when new and it definitely made a difference.
I had this done a few months ago too except it's out of pocket. It never occurred during past winter seasons. The hard shifting started right after clutch/flywheel replacement. Though my symptoms includes reserve gear in addition to the first and second while operating in the temp between 40-50. The service bulletin definitely helped!

Old 01-29-2014, 09:30 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
guys, credits to Irish07 please!
The forum only allows me to give him so many rep points. It keeps saying to spread them around