Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Opinion...2009 DBS or 2010 DB9...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 08:21 AM
oo7
oo7 will become famous soon enoughoo7 will become famous soon enough
I would suggest negotiating a little harder. The clutch being replaced may be indicative of hard driving, (but maybe just a driver bad with a clutch) and would ad 15 to 20k miles to what is on the odometer and figure fair price. Unless this car is "the one", there are always cars coming to market

Old 03-25-2014, 05:08 PM
FatFrank has a spectacular aura aboutFatFrank has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Aerome
DOn't look at asking prices around the country, look at real selling prices.

How do we do that?

FF

Old 03-25-2014, 05:54 PM
4pipes will become famous soon enough4pipes will become famous soon enough
The only way I know of is to pay for access to wholesale auto auctions. Then you'll know what dealers are paying for them.

Old 03-26-2014, 03:32 AM
rscultho is on a distinguished road
Car is mine once I sign the paperwork Thursday. I've attached a pic...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	dbs1.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	351267  
Old 03-26-2014, 03:36 AM
Originally Posted by 4pipes
The only way I know of is to pay for access to wholesale auto auctions. Then you'll know what dealers are paying for them.
I thought they would only allow people with dealer licenses to do this?

Will have to look into how much it costs for a dealer license...

Old 03-26-2014, 08:04 AM
I've never done it myself. Just a response to your question, which I have always asked myself as well. I usually assume the dealer is trying to make $5-10k on a sale of a used car. More like $10-15k for an Aston.
When I trade in a car and check the prices on Truecar or KBB between buying and selling, there is usually $5-10k delta.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:51 AM
oldfool is on a distinguished road
It looks great. Have fun I think you will love it.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:13 AM
Bleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by 4pipes
I've never done it myself. Just a response to your question, which I have always asked myself as well. I usually assume the dealer is trying to make $5-10k on a sale of a used car. More like $10-15k for an Aston.
When I trade in a car and check the prices on Truecar or KBB between buying and selling, there is usually $5-10k delta.
When shopping for mine, I got a dealer down from 79k to 68k. I got another down from 75k to 68k... I was surprised how much margin there is in these.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:27 AM
Originally Posted by Bleen
When shopping for mine, I got a dealer down from 79k to 68k. I got another down from 75k to 68k... I was surprised how much margin there is in these.
When I bought mine from a well respected dealer, it was listed for $225k. It was a dealer demo with 1750 miles on it in 2012. I paid $205k after a brief negotiation. We were both happy.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:56 AM
Originally Posted by rscultho
Car is mine once I sign the paperwork Thursday. I've attached a pic...
Top Job!

I hope that you've got rid of that old XKR now that you've got a real car?

FF

Old 03-26-2014, 03:11 PM
Evoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud of
Funny, I just drove a DBS and Vantage 3 weeks ago and I too have an XKR. While I love the XKR I want a 6spd again. I came away thinking the Vantage felt more "fun". The chassis was tighter and it just felt smaller - cause it is.

My XKR felt faster and likely is faster than DBS. And my custom exhaust is silly cool. DBS is cool but just didn't seem to push me over the edge as it is ultimately the same sort of large GT as my XKR but little less torque and a bit more bespoke. The XKR is a bit of an anomaly car. It is stupid fast, sounds great, highly composed and luxurious yet snarling and gangster the next. Tough to completely best - especially if paying $50k more - unless you are going for something totally different. Like smaller, more sporty or a mid engine like R8 IMHO.

Old 03-27-2014, 03:29 AM
Originally Posted by Evoking
Funny, I just drove a DBS and Vantage 3 weeks ago and I too have an XKR. While I love the XKR I want a 6spd again. I came away thinking the Vantage felt more "fun". The chassis was tighter and it just felt smaller - cause it is.

My XKR felt faster and likely is faster than DBS. And my custom exhaust is silly cool. DBS is cool but just didn't seem to push me over the edge as it is ultimately the same sort of large GT as my XKR but little less torque and a bit more bespoke. The XKR is a bit of an anomaly car. It is stupid fast, sounds great, highly composed and luxurious yet snarling and gangster the next. Tough to completely best - especially if paying $50k more - unless you are going for something totally different. Like smaller, more sporty or a mid engine like R8 IMHO.
Faster? Before driving the two I might have agreed...(stock) I am not sure I agree now that I have driven the two, both at over 100MPH back-to-back. I will say that the sensation of speed is not as apparent in the XKR as it is in the DBS.

Yes, I adored my XKR as well. I love Jags, and I am sure I will own one again in the future. But the thing that kills the XKR is its weight. The DBS I am getting, with the 6 speed, is over 300lbs less in weight. The DBS pulls harder than my 5L XKR. I did not expect that!! I expected that with 464ft-lbs of torque (in the XKR) compared to the 420ft-lbs of the DBS, I expected the XKR to out pull the DBS. But it did not. One reason was throttle response, the other is the weight. If you had a tune done to the XKR that may perk it up and even things out.

And, while I too love Jags, we have to face the fact that a Jag is not an Aston Martin, just as a Ford Mustang is not a Jaguar XKR.

And ultimately, it comes to down to what the individual wants.

Last edited by rscultho; 03-27-2014 at 03:35 AM.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:38 AM
Originally Posted by FatFrank
Top Job!

I hope that you've got rid of that old XKR now that you've got a real car?

FF
I will always love that XKR, and I am a Jag fan. I will seriously look at the newly designed XK/R when it comes out in 2016-17.

We will see what Ian McCallum can deliver to the world! It may become a tough choice between a Vanquish and a new XKR!!

Old 03-27-2014, 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by rscultho
And, while I too love Jags, we have to face the fact that a Jag is not an Aston Martin, just as a Ford Mustang is not a Jaguar XKR

I know, if only my Aston were as fast as a GT500!

Old 03-27-2014, 05:09 PM
RS,
I have been stalking some McLarens but when you mentioned DBS for $109k I thought that sounds like a good alternative (not sure if I might lose a sh$t load on money on the Macca) but I can't find any for sale near that price!? Am I missing something?

FF

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Opinion...2009 DBS or 2010 DB9...