Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

AM vs. AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 03:03 PM
N91K is on a distinguished road
AM vs. AMG

Hey everyone,

I've been curious recently about the difference in driving between any Aston Martin model or maybe specifically the Rapide VS the CLS63 or any other AMG model?

Please i would appreciate your input. I would love to know more about the difference in comfort, luxury, speed etc.

I am very happy with the Rapide but i am just curious on the difference between it and the CLS63.

Thank you in advance!

Old 03-24-2014, 08:00 AM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
AMG - Aston Experiences

My first AMG was a SLK 32 - quite a riot to drive, the supercharger being on an as needed basis, a ton of power for such a small car. That's the god news... the bad is that the engine had a bug where the power would evaporate, mine after about 8,000 miles. You could not even break the tires loose. AMG would not warranty 'power loss' and if it were not for my dealer, who I took the car in about once a month for about 2 years to try to fix the problem unsuccessfully, I would had sold the car at a tremendous loss. Finally frustrated I traded it in on a Chrysler 300 - another Mercedes derived product I hated. It turns out there was a bug in a component of the intercooler which would shut down the supercharger.

The point is that one buys the AMG for the power - if they don't stand behind their product what good are they?

That said, before my latest Vantage, I did buy an SLK 55 because it's not complex, no supercharger to go bad and have no warranty from AMG. The SLK 55 was very solid, or I thought - one I drove my buddies 06 Vantage, the SLK no longer felt as solid. I did try a SL 55 AMG and it was surprisingly loose, I was not expecting that ... kinda like an old mans hot rod, and not to sprightly.

The SLK 55 is like an American engine, a low revving, but powerful car, but with an irritating lag, which if I did not move up to my 09 Vantage I would have added a Kleeman supercharger.

I think if AMG put the wrong engine with power low - low revving wit low redline, vs more of a Ferrari type high revving engine, it might move Aston lovers away, but attract Viper lovers. If they could make an engine like that in the SLK 32 without bugs it would be cool.

If AMG does not stand behind their 'power' abilities, that's a bigger problem.

Old 03-24-2014, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the input, i'm glad you moved to a car that you love now and doesn't have problems. The reason i'm asking is just because i liked the C63 a small car with big engine but it doesn't compete with the Vantage whatsoever.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:02 PM
riverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by N91K
Thanks for the input, i'm glad you moved to a car that you love now and doesn't have problems. The reason i'm asking is just because i liked the C63 a small car with big engine but it doesn't compete with the Vantage whatsoever.
I had a C63 AMG with the performance package and special paint. I kept it about 2 weeks. Very fast, great interior but totally lacking in soul and feedback.
Just my .02

Old 03-26-2014, 04:03 AM
Can you tell me more about how it lacks in soul and feedback, i would love to know more! It's hard to find more information comparing the two, because people that own C63s usually don't own a Vantage, so i am glad i found someone that does!
Thank you for your time.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:40 AM
RossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by riverflyer
I had a C63 AMG with the performance package and special paint. I kept it about 2 weeks. Very fast, great interior but totally lacking in soul and feedback.
Just my .02
I almost bought a car with the same spec a few years ago and passed because it was way too stiff for normal road driving. I also didn't like the sound or the automatic. The car was ridiculously fast though!

Old 03-26-2014, 12:28 PM
It is damn fast but i agree about the sound, it doesn't come close to an Aston Martin exhaust note!

Old 03-31-2014, 01:18 AM
riverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by N91K
Can you tell me more about how it lacks in soul and feedback, i would love to know more! It's hard to find more information comparing the two, because people that own C63s usually don't own a Vantage, so i am glad i found someone that does!
Thank you for your time.
Sure. The car just did not excite me or make me want to take a drive just for the driving sake. Would be a great commuter car, but I don't. I also like cars that feel small even if they aren't. This car felt big even though it was not a big car by most standards, just felt that way and communicated with the driver that way.

Old 03-31-2014, 03:31 AM
Thanks for talking more about it, when i tested the C63 i didn't have a chance to have fun because i wasn't alone but what i noticed is the interior of the car wasn't great, no leather smell. Also, the exhaust note wasn't that loud as I'm used to in the Aston.