Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Retro-Fit Cruise Control on a Vantage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 01:47 AM
Vergis has a spectacular aura aboutVergis has a spectacular aura aboutVergis has a spectacular aura about
Retro-Fit Cruise Control on a Vantage

I am going to Nurburgrig in Germany in a few months time and the journey will probably render my right foot numb.

I really need cruise control. Does anyone here know if its a matter of plugging in a seperate module, loom connection and control panel on steering wheel?

Looking at a picture of the cruise control connections it seems to be 2 wires that connect to the CAN Bus :

I had an Audi TT many years ago. The loom was already in place and even the coding in the ECU to make it work. All you needed to do was install the control panel.

I know some tuners offer this install but I am tempted to make this a project.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	$_12.JPG
Views:	1438
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	359194  

Last edited by Vergis; 04-13-2014 at 02:15 AM.
Old 04-13-2014, 01:10 PM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
You can't get the loom, loom comes with the steering wheel...so you will have to get a steering wheel with cruise control, then have the PCM flashed by the dealer to activate the cruise option...I've done it a few times

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9
Office: (1)250-485-5126
Email: Tuning@VelocityAP.com

www.velocityap.com

Old 04-13-2014, 07:18 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Yes, buying the switch pack by itself won't help and the wiring is not sold separately. There is a different kind of wiring for every combination of switch packs. The wiring has the logic to communicate to the CAN bus built in, so it's not a matter of simply making your own wiring either.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:47 PM
TGED is on a distinguished road
So a 2005 Vantage does not come with cruise control, many cars which cost 1/5 or less than the Astons have cruise control as standard equipment, this is absurd.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:39 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
All the newer models include cruise control but, yes, an 05MY which is almost 10 years old now did not come with it standard. It was a way to have a lower base price and charge for every option. It allowed them to gradually increase the number of included features as the model years progressed. It also helped differentiate the sports car in the range from the more GT car (DB9) which came with cruise. Other exotics such as Ferrari and Lambo and as well as more common cars such as Porsche, Mercedes, or Audi aren't really any different; have you seen how many things are considered optional on those cars as well?

Last edited by karlfranz; 04-13-2014 at 08:44 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:17 AM
Ben348 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by irish07
You can't get the loom, loom comes with the steering wheel..

Yes you can! You can order the wiringloom at AM factory for £154,60
I made them confirm it is the wiringloom inside the steeringwheel, the one with the 3 horn-buttons and CC-connector.

I too wandered down this road. My cable is in the mail, as we speak...

Regards. Ben

Last edited by Ben348; 04-14-2014 at 10:22 AM.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:29 AM
Irish was referring to the wiring inside the steering week itself. To my knowledge, this is not available for sale as a separate item. Are you claiming that you were able to get it separately? Please clarify. Here is a picture I took of the wiring in question along with the switch packs and horn switches:

Old 04-14-2014, 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by karlfranz
Irish was referring to the wiring inside the steering week itself. To my knowledge, this is not available for sale as a separate item. Are you claiming that you were able to get it separately? Please clarify.

Yup, the factory is sending me the wiringloom from within the steeringwheel; 3horn-button connectors and the CCconnector.

I was very surprised to learn it IS possible the obtain the loom seperately from the steeringwheel, since everyone is sure that you can't (incl. my dealer)....
Let's hope i get the correct wiringloom.

As soon as the mailman rings, I will reply

Regards. Ben

Old 04-25-2014, 06:57 AM
Vergis has a spectacular aura aboutVergis has a spectacular aura aboutVergis has a spectacular aura about
Any luck with the wiring loom?

Old 04-25-2014, 10:24 AM
Here's where I ordered the spaghetti;
parts@britishracinggroup.com
They did not give me a partnumber but told me it is no problem getting the loom.
It should be here any day now!

Regards. Ben

Old 04-25-2014, 10:31 AM
Here's a selection of the email exchange.
I made my doubts very clear, but they convinced me it is al good....
We will see.

Sabrina,

I'm not trying to be smart here, but the dutch AM dealer told me the wiringloom is not sold seperately from the steeringwheel...

Regards. Ben

Ben,

They must be incorrect because we contacted AM with the part number and they confirm availability and pricing with us within 5 minutes. *

SInce we simply provided them the info you supplied us, we have no picture of the part unfortunately.

Sabrina

British Racing Group and Lotus Garage- Aftersales/ Parts Department
Supporting: AC, Aston Martin, Bentley, Ferrari, Ginetta, Lotus, Mastretta and Premium Sports Cars
Tele. (855) BRG-5000 ext 705
Worldwide +01 (215) 915-9129*
www.shop.britishracinggroup.com
www.LotusGarage.com

Old 05-25-2014, 09:37 AM
Ben, it's been a long while now. Did you ever get the wiring loom you ordered and, if so, was it the right one?

Old 05-28-2014, 08:48 AM
Update

Well it has been a bumpy road...
The wiring-loom from AML did not arrive. After a few weeks they told me some thing has gone wrong with the shipping.
In the meanwhile I bought a used steeringwheel with the cable, CC & telephone switches.
The AMdealer informed me the telefoon switches can be used in combination with the non-bluetooth phone unit.
This made me decide to cancel the not yet delivered new wiringloom and fit the (cheaper) compleet wheel from a second-hand-dealer....
Ofcourse this wheel also did not arrive.
The second-hand dealer told me some thing went wrong in shipping.
Come on guys, holland is only on the other side of the blue-stuff! No biggy?!
Since I allready payed for the used wheel I'll stick too that route, untill the boat sinks. Maybe than I'll give http://www.shop.britishracinggroup.com/ a second go...

Sorry for no news or to clearify the yes/no obtainability of the spaghetti inside a steeringwheel.

Regards. Ben.