Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

10W-60 full synthetic what brand?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 01:25 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by karlfranz
This is how I buy Castrol too. If you ask the guy at the BMW parts counter nicely, you can get it for $13.50 all the time.
Originally Posted by yankee04
I don't have a buddy but that's also the price I pay.
I have a feeling there's some shenanigans being had here... I might need to have a chat with my friend

Still, better than the $18+ I've been charged by the AM dealer that used to do my service before I moved to VA.

Old 05-05-2014, 01:55 PM
zvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nice
Nope I just wanted to have some on hand to top it up. It actually had all fluids replaced late Dec 13 including oil change, so I'm good to go for awhile, but I know that they tend to use a bit of oil.

Originally Posted by karlfranz
Glad to be of service. But didn't you just get your car this weekend? Do you need an oil change already? I would've thought the dealer did this for you—unless you drove 10,000 miles this weekend, of course.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:06 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
I think telum's "buddy" has been using the ol' car salesman line "Because it's you, the price will be…".

Old 05-05-2014, 04:56 PM
oo7
oo7 will become famous soon enoughoo7 will become famous soon enough
I change oil every 3 to 5k miles. Have done this for thirty years. Old habits die hard. When i see (or think I see) the oil change color at all, I change it. With as rich as the 07 v8v runs, the oil could possibly be getting contaminated. i prefer to maybe err on the side of caution. As far as breaking down, one of our former engine builders would only allow oils a specific time duration and/or heat cycles (like tires). BTW, I know technology has change but the Vantage filter seems kinda small.

Last edited by oo7; 05-05-2014 at 04:57 PM. Reason: can't spell
Old 05-05-2014, 05:14 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
^^^^ Yeah, you really need to kill that old habit. There's no reason that you should have to change the oil more frequently than 1 yr/10K miles unless your engine is being subjected to extreme conditions. Of course, there's no harm done to your car by doing it sooner, just to your wallet.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:05 AM
dicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of light
How much things have changed. For my Porsche Boxster the Oil change recommendation was Once a year or 15,000 miles--Filter to be changed every-other Oil Change. A small filter isn't of concern with oil--it's depletion of the additives. So Oil Change of once a year or 10,000 miles on the Aston, with such a High-Quality Oil, seems very reasonable to me--And to the Factory who recommends it. Remember also in earlier cars there were only 4-5 quarts in the Crankcase--the Aston has about 2-times that. Just another reason it can go longer between changes.

Old 05-22-2014, 11:12 PM
XWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by telum01
The stuff for your M3 should be the same. It's the Castrol Edge Professional (not Sport). I have a buddy that works at the local BMW dealership, so I get it for $13.50
\

what is the difference between the sport and the professional?
I've seen 3 types of oil for the 10-60.

what ever happened to the racing oil and then the normal high end oil as being the two categories.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6239.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	1.81 MB
ID:	377759  
Old 05-23-2014, 04:52 AM
rscultho is on a distinguished road
Interesting. The dealer told me that for my engine I should use 5W/30.

Did not know there would be that much difference in oil for the 8 and 12 cylinder engines.

Old 05-23-2014, 05:23 AM
der Fahrer is on a distinguished road
XW, I am fairly certain that "TWS Motorsport" is simply the older label for the "EDGE Professional" bottle. I had used TWS for years in my M3 and when they switched labels I had to quiz my dealer to make sure that the "EDGE Pro" truly was the right one to use.

Old 05-23-2014, 07:43 AM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Castrol edge for BMWs is your best bet for 10w-60. Although that is a very heavy oil weight, not sure why you are running a weight that heavy, it's a bit overkill unless you are racing.

On low mileage exotics, the general rule of thumb is once a year. Pick a date and change oil on that date every year regardless of mileage. You don't want the same oil just sitting in there for years even if you don't put any mileage on it. Like any other fluid, it goes bad over time even if you use it or not.

Old 05-23-2014, 08:18 AM
10w-60 is the correct weight for the V8V. Why would you use a different weight than the one recommended by Aston?

Old 05-23-2014, 09:25 AM
XWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by rscultho
Interesting. The dealer told me that for my engine I should use 5W/30.

Did not know there would be that much difference in oil for the 8 and 12 cylinder engines.
You couldn't get a bigger difference between engines! Different pistons, heads, cams, cranks, rods, etc..... so, different oil.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:42 AM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
The BMW Castrol 5w-50 is a much better motor oil and is put in more of their performance oriented models. 10-60 is just too heavy for most winters, whereas 5w-50 is technically a true year round oil you can run 12 months a year. Plus 10w-60 makes the motor rev like a slug, 5w-50 definitely makes the motor more free revving and provide superior protection on cold start.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:57 AM
Originally Posted by 007 Vantage
The BMW Castrol 5w-50 is a much better motor oil and is put in more of their performance oriented models. 10-60 is just too heavy for most winters, whereas 5w-50 is technically a true year round oil you can run 12 months a year. Plus 10w-60 makes the motor rev like a slug, 5w-50 definitely makes the motor more free revving and provide superior protection on cold start.
you don't want to spin a bearing with a too light weight oil. the design says 10-60, I would stick with that.

Plus, this engine is designed for 60 weight oil at temp, at temp , it doesn't matter if you are in Antarctica or in mexico. your operating temp is your operating temp. so, I would stick with 10-60 as the oil for all seasons especially in this engine with racing root design. (tight tolerances and clearances.

all the BMW higher performance engines recommend this oil . (same as us with the AMV8) no one is using the lighter oils in the M series BMWs)

Here is the actual tests of the two oils from the BMW thread. Billy Johnson (pretty well known amateur turned pro racer from cali) actually sent in the two oils to Blackstone for analysis.
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=926080

Old 05-23-2014, 02:14 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
copy/paste from the other thread:

From what I've seen, comparing current info to what I was seeing some months ago when I was looking into this...

TWS was the good stuff that the BMW guys loved. The formula was updated and it is now Edge Professional. Edge Professional is generally only marketed to dealerships/garages/shops. If I remember correctly, TWS was the oil AM originally had in the V8 Vantage when they first brought it to the US.

The lower grade (or the one with fewer or different additives) was the Syntec RS, which then became Edge Sport. Edge Sport was marketed toward consumers.

Edge Sport was reformulated again to add Castrol's FST additive (or whatever it is), which is supposed to improve the performance of the oil over its lifespan. FST is already in Edge Professional. Edge Sport is now called Edge FST.

With its new formula, it *seems* like Edge FST is now on par with Edge Professional, with the primary difference being marketing.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 10W-60 full synthetic what brand?