Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Did you compromise on driving dynamics to get a vantage?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 06:30 PM
baege is on a distinguished road
Did you compromise on driving dynamics to get a vantage?

Just signed up. I am hoping to get some honest and helpful feedback. I am considering making a move from a 2014 Cayman S into a Vantage GT. I have always lusted after the vantage, its wonderful sound and its aesthetics struck the deepest chords of my love for automobiles. It was never really within my financial reach new. Used models out of warranty didn't fit well with my risk averse nature. I did manage to find a used 2010 still under warranty back in 2012 that was sort of within my reach. But I walked away from the test drive disappointed with the driving dynamics and experience. I found the visibility poor, it didn't have a lot of low end torque at least in terms of what I expected from a V8, it felt heavy and big and had body roll. Overall I didn't find the driving experience as engaging as I had hoped. So I let it go, sad that my dream car didn't offer the driving dynamics that I had hoped for. Last June I bought a 2014 Cayman S after a test drive where the driving dynamics blew me away. I had never grinned so much driving a car. But what I lack with the cayman is that lust and love for my car. I don't really look back at it as I walk away. It doesn't "speak to me" as other cars have in the past. I am considering the move to the vantage GT to gain back that sense of occasion and intangible attachment to my car. I need to test drive a more recent model and my hope is that perhaps the driving dynamics have improved. But I expect ultimately due to its size and engine placement, the vantage won't ever offer the same driving dynamics of my cayman. Have others made a similar move from a car that offered better driving dynamics than the vantage and are you happy with the move?

Old 05-13-2014, 07:09 PM
V12V will become famous soon enough
The GT won't be a lot different than your last experience. The Cayman S is a terrific sports car and the Aston will still feel the way you described it above in comparison. It's not going to feel as light and nimble as the S. With that said the Aston will always have the special looks and will always be more of an occasion to drive. They really are two different cars. I have a vantage roadster and a V12V Coupe. My wife has a new Boxster S and I enjoy driving all three. I wouldn't give up an Aston for the S but it is a delight to drive. Try to drive a Vantage S for a comparison to the Cayman. Will be a tough decision.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:44 PM
black penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant future
I have owned a Porsche Boxster S, a Cayman R, V8 Vantage and a V12 Vantage. There is not a bad car in the bunch, but they are all very different. The big surprise is how similar they are in size. The Aston is only a 1/4" longer, 4" wider and an inch shorter.

I sold the Boxster S (orange special edition) for my V8 Vantage. I loved the Boxster, i loved the weight, the balance, the way it drove, but I never regretted selling it for the Vantage.

The Vantage is a very different car than the Porsche. It will never feel as light, but the balance is amazing, the steering is beautiful as are the brakes. It has a sense of occasion the Porsche will never have.

The V8 Vantage was sold for a V12 Vantage. The boost in power was amazing, yes it got heavier, but it was a bit more visceral and raw. Sounds odd, but the Aston has an old school feel to it that is very rewarding on the streets. Speaking of sound, almost nothing will sound as good as an Aston, be it a V8 or V12.I rarely even turn on the amazing B&O sound system.

I also ran an R8V10 at the same time. I bought the Audi to be my daily driver, basically to play the role most 911's play. A fantastic car and actually better at most things than the Aston, except I preferred driving the Aston more.

The Audi was sold for a Cayman R that was going to be my track car. I loved that car, it was such an amazingly mechanical machine, fantastic brakes, steering and shifter. It is the best Porsche I have ever driven. For fun factor it is a top choice, It is also very no-nonsense. I like that in a car. That car was tracked for a full season. I added GT3 suspension bits, monoballs, a Hiego rear cage, bigger brakes and GT2 carbon seats. Yet that car was still a joy to drive on the streets.

It was an occasion, but a very different occasion to the Aston.
It was raw in a different way to the Aston.
Both cars have great mechanical steering (not the new Caymans)
Both cars have great balance, though very different to one another.
It's hard to fault either choice, but they are different.

Ultimately for me the Aston is the far better road car experience. It is not a street car masquerading as a race car pretending to be a road car. It is a proper road car. You get to drive an exotic without people thinking you are a pompous $%%#%

The Cayman R was the best version of a stripped out street car. Like the Aston the drive is intuitive. To be honest that car felt telepathic. I like that it is a car that impresses drivers, not valets.

Of course the Cayman R has been sold for a Lotus 211. This car makes the Porsche feel like a pig. It really is soo direct, soo light, soo raw. It honstely puts the divide between track biased cars and a road car into perfect contrast.

Old 05-14-2014, 03:53 AM
N91K is on a distinguished road
The Vantage is an amazing looking car and i look back at it every time i park, i am thankful i got to own it. It has its flaws but i still consider it a great car! It is very fun to drive and gets lots and lots of attention. You feel special driving an Aston and i don't get that feeling driving a Porsche or a Mercedes. The sound of the Vantage is just breathtaking and makes you smile every time, you won't regret buying it believe me. The "feeling" when driving the car is worth every penny.

Good luck with your choice!

Old 05-14-2014, 05:33 AM
blue_skies is just really niceblue_skies is just really niceblue_skies is just really niceblue_skies is just really niceblue_skies is just really nice
I sold my 09' Cayman S to purchase a 2012 Vantage S...

Things I liked more about the Porsche:
1. Transmission
2. Nimbleness. Vantage feels a bit heavier, and the Porsche probably inspires a bit more driving confidence.

What I liked more about the Aston:
Basically everything else. The Aston is always an "event" to drive. The base Vantage didn't do much for me, but the S really seems to bring the car alive. I assume even more-so for the V12.

The biggest takeaway for me is that the driving experience of the Porsche started while cutting through corners, while the driving experience of the Aston begins as soon as you open the garage.

Old 05-14-2014, 06:58 AM
RudyP is on a distinguished road
Any chance you can keep both? I'm much more of a Porsche guy than an Aston guy and I did sell one of my 911s to make room for the Vantage when I bought it but I don't think I could own just the Vantage. I need at least one 911 in the stable. Having both really is the best of both worlds IMO since they are very different and there are certain times that I really want to drive one over the other.

Old 05-14-2014, 07:59 AM
plastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by blue_skies

Things I liked more about the Porsche:
1. Transmission
2. Nimbleness. Vantage feels a bit heavier, and the Porsche probably inspires a bit more driving confidence.

What I liked more about the Aston:
Basically everything else. The Aston is always an "event" to drive. The base Vantage didn't do much for me, but the S really seems to bring the car alive. I assume even more-so for the V12.

The biggest takeaway for me is that the driving experience of the Porsche started while cutting through corners, while the driving experience of the Aston begins as soon as you open the garage.
Spot on and agree with Barry as well.
It took me 3 tries to get the right Aston. First V8V N420 was beautiful, handled very well, but was underpowered and stale in its driving experience. Second DBS was a "Bond" like occasion stepping into the car. But it was more of a GT car with worse handling than a Vantage. Finally just picked up a V12VS and I want to drive this thing every single day. I sadly sold my S260 for it, and the S260 is the best handling street car made IMO. Around corners the street felt like a track and was such a thrill to drive.
But the V12VS ticks all the boxes for me: aggressive yet elegant aesthetics, exhaust symphony, leather smell that peaks the olfactory nerves, astonishing braking power, 3 stage damping suspension for the tight handling when needed, still raw and visceral, tight steering ratio, oh and power!
Test drive a Vantage S or if the GT can have the appropriate power and handling system offered then give it a try. These cars are very special and rare. My addiction runs deep with Aston.

Last edited by plastique999; 05-14-2014 at 08:23 AM.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:53 AM
XWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura about
You buy a AM vantage because you want a car that does it all well and looks like a piece of art. I can get a race prepped Miata, and beat the Cayman S on the track So what. You want that feeling of driving something special, get the Aston. You want something that is almost a supercar, get a Porsche cayman. In my opinion, if you want a true performer, it better be a Ferrari 458, Porsche GT3/TTS or a lambo, otherwise, its a road car.
As far as the feeling of the Vantage and lack of torque feeling, there is no torque feeling with a high reving V8. The 4.3 or 4.7 v8 has a redline of 7800rpm. Its hp curve is very similar to the Porsche. The problem is, everyone has a preconceived idea that it will be "torque" engine because its a "V8", and its not, just as the ferarri V8 is not. Think of it just like the Porsche or BMW M I-6, BUT sounds a heck of a lot better!!
on the handling slide, its width and balance will pay dividends on different tracks, if you are doing a track comparison, to the Cayman S. tight tracks will favor the smaller more nimble car, and longer faster tracks will favor the Aston. It all depends on what you like to do, and what floats your boat. BUT, take nothing away from the Aston. it is a race car for the street, no question there. great balance, not too heavy, strut and chassis braces, stiff chassis construct, stiff suspension, dry sump'ed engine, etc. However the one thing I will give you is the visibility while driving.... its a little awkward, but you get used to it ........REAL fast!

Old 05-14-2014, 05:14 PM
[QUOTE=black penguin;4113548]I have owned a Porsche Boxster S, a Cayman R, V8 Vantage and a V12 Vantage. There is not a bad car in the bunch, but they are all very different. The big surprise is how similar they are in size. The Aston is only a 1/4" longer, 4" wider and an inch shorter.

Appreciate the fullsome response and all the thoughts. I wonder if you had to pick just one car the cayman R or the vantage v8 as your only road car, which would you pick?

Old 05-14-2014, 05:15 PM
Thanks for the thoughts and wishes

Old 05-14-2014, 05:17 PM
Originally Posted by blue_skies

Funny I had a similar thought recently about which car overall would bring the more enjoyable experiences. I sometimes find myself pushing the cayman around corners to maximize the experience, the vantage might offer a more well rounded experience (no pun intended).

Old 05-14-2014, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by RudyP
Any chance you can keep both? I'm much more of a Porsche guy than an Aston guy and I did sell one of my 911s to make room for the Vantage when I bought it but I don't think I could own just the Vantage. I need at least one 911 in the stable. Having both really is the best of both worlds IMO since they are very different and there are certain times that I really want to drive one over the other.

wish I could keep both...

Old 05-14-2014, 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by XWCGT
You buy a AM vantage because you want a car that does it all well and looks like a piece of art. I can get a race prepped Miata, and beat the Cayman S on the track So what. You want that feeling of driving something special, get the Aston. You want something that is almost a supercar, get a Porsche cayman. In my opinion, if you want a true performer, it better be a Ferrari 458, Porsche GT3/TTS or a lambo, otherwise, its a road car.
As far as the feeling of the Vantage and lack of torque feeling, there is no torque feeling with a high reving V8. The 4.3 or 4.7 v8 has a redline of 7800rpm. Its hp curve is very similar to the Porsche. The problem is, everyone has a preconceived idea that it will be "torque" engine because its a "V8", and its not, just as the ferarri V8 is not. Think of it just like the Porsche or BMW M I-6, BUT sounds a heck of a lot better!!
on the handling slide, its width and balance will pay dividends on different tracks, if you are doing a track comparison, to the Cayman S. tight tracks will favor the smaller more nimble car, and longer faster tracks will favor the Aston. It all depends on what you like to do, and what floats your boat. BUT, take nothing away from the Aston. it is a race car for the street, no question there. great balance, not too heavy, strut and chassis braces, stiff chassis construct, stiff suspension, dry sump'ed engine, etc. However the one thing I will give you is the visibility while driving.... its a little awkward, but you get used to it ........REAL fast!

Its not so much about the track, but rather I just enjoy the dynamics of a light nimble car, but I also love low end torque (a tough combo I know), sounds like the vantage (v8) is not going offer that. I am also considering the C7 but I am not drawn to it in the same way. Automotive compability is tough.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:23 PM
XWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura about
[quote=baege;4114258]
Originally Posted by black penguin
I have owned a Porsche Boxster S, a Cayman R, V8 Vantage and a V12 Vantage. There is not a bad car in the bunch, but they are all very different. The big surprise is how similar they are in size. The Aston is only a 1/4" longer, 4" wider and an inch shorter.

Appreciate the fullsome response and all the thoughts. I wonder if you had to pick just one car the cayman R or the vantage v8 as your only road car, which would you pick?
Cayman :
Height: 51.0 in.
Width: 70.9 in.
Wheelbase: 97.4 in.
Length: 172.2 in.
near 3000lbs. (2915 for the S, 2990 for pdk)

Aston:
[–07 & 2010-Present:
wheelbase : 102.4 in (2,601 mm)
overall Length172.5 in (4,382 mm)
Width : 73.4 in (1,864 mm)
Height: 49.4 in (1,255 mm)
weight: 3450lbs

4" wider, has the effect as if you were able to lower the car 2" as far as G loading. This is a huge factor
wheelbase for the Aston is 102, vs 97" for the cayman, which also is a huge deal with stability and its "feel " on high speed sweepers. (you counted the overall length, which is a specification for only to see if it can fit in your garage.
over all height, does effect the G center, and the 3" shorter stature, makes it even better. the ONLY real advantage, on paper is the overall weight, and that's about 400lb, with the Cayman S having 320HP vs the aston near 400hp.
the rest is personal preference, and I would prefer in almost all situations, the aston, except for autocrossing or real tight road course. 400lbs is something, but handling is going to be a wash with the wider stance, straightline braking, going to the cayman S

raw acceleration going to the vantage with 8.9:1 vs about 9.3:1 weight/hp for the cayman S.

again, these two are very different, but will perform in the same ball park in any number of tests. as a racer, I would prefer the aston, especially if you are going to visit a high speed track. HP / aerodrag becomes a big factor at the high speeds.

Last edited by XWCGT; 05-14-2014 at 09:40 PM.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:18 AM
V12V will become famous soon enough
Straight line speed also goes to the Cayman S. It's a 4 second 0-60 with PDK. So the braking and speed both go the the S.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Did you compromise on driving dynamics to get a vantage?