Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

What has your Aston been mechanically? Major issues?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 02:12 AM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
Originally Posted by zvez
Karl is spot on! This book is a huge help if you're in the market for a gaydon-era aston.
Especially as I'm in it

OP there is a small software update to ASM1 when the 4.7 came in but nothing that affects creep mode or the high reverse ratio
Best thing to do is keep doing regular clutch learns and avoid creep mode as often as possible

Old 06-02-2014, 02:16 AM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
Originally Posted by V12V
All new six figure cars depreciate rapidly. The higher the original number the faster the depreciation. Aston is right there with Mercedes, Audi etc. if you are not getting a close out deal you are always better off financially buying used.
I'd agree in most cases unless you manage to bag stuff like V12V Zagota's, Ferrari 16M's and Apertas and Alfa 8C's
Buying the "right" spec used in factory warranty then making sure it is sorted before the factory warranty runs out is a good idea. The extended warranty has a LOT of exclusions

Old 06-02-2014, 04:48 AM
CARAIBAM is a glorious beacon of lightCARAIBAM is a glorious beacon of lightCARAIBAM is a glorious beacon of lightCARAIBAM is a glorious beacon of lightCARAIBAM is a glorious beacon of light
Seems that pulling the handbrake one click,lowers the speed of the creep mode on SS boxes

Old 06-02-2014, 12:43 PM
V12V will become famous soon enough
I would not use the parking brake to lower creep speed. More wear issues.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:36 PM
Bleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of light
This is ridiculous, you should be able to drive a car without so many **** asterisks everywhere...
This is why I'm not going to be driving mine anymore every day, it's horrible as a commuter!
Coming from DCT and autos I couldn't conceive how this would be, but it is.
It's just a PITA to drive in traffic.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:46 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
And hence why a real manual or automatic is still a better choice that Sportshift.

Old 06-02-2014, 02:50 PM
Bleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by karlfranz
And hence why a real manual or automatic is still a better choice that Sportshift.
Live and learn...

Old 06-02-2014, 03:13 PM
TripleNet has a spectacular aura aboutTripleNet has a spectacular aura about
2013 V8 Vantage 5400 miles..... third pedal :-)

Fuel tank fill gets stuck and need a string to get it open ...

Probably just needs an adjustment .... Other than that it has been flawless ....

I absolutely love the car... Could use 100 more hp ...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	37a6d87c-7e33-4bd9-b356-47c7585cd571_zps81c1b155.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	381806   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image5_zpse668aec4.jpg
Views:	2839
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	381807  

Last edited by TripleNet; 06-02-2014 at 03:27 PM.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:44 PM
zvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nice
that's why sportshift, paddleshift etc sell for loads less $$ on hte used market, across the board, ferrari, aston, maserati (the maserati paddleshifter is horrendous). I'd actually been looking at a maserati gt a couple years ago, but manuals are scarce and the paddleshifter incredibly fragile.

When searching for my vantage, I didn't even bother to look at listings of sportshift cars.
Chris

Originally Posted by Bleen
This is ridiculous, you should be able to drive a car without so many **** asterisks everywhere...
This is why I'm not going to be driving mine anymore every day, it's horrible as a commuter!
Coming from DCT and autos I couldn't conceive how this would be, but it is.
It's just a PITA to drive in traffic.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:01 PM
Viperlaw is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Jay_Davis
I don't think so. Their automatic is better than the Vantage's SportShift. The biggest problem with it was that it had absolutely no luggage space. The total space you had was room for 1 briefcase. The coupe is better in that regards, but that just went on sale this month.

The other issue is that the V8 version is a little expensive. Once you break $100K people start looking at other things.
I disagree about it being better. I have an 09 SS and went to go drive the Jag V8S to see how it compared. With everything you read about how good the jags auto is, it was pathetically slow and ruined the drive (the steering feel is nowhere near the aston either). Im not saying the SS is good (its not), but ill take a bad flappy paddle box any day of the week over any slush box currently on the market.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:04 PM
Viperlaw is on a distinguished road
Oh and Ive had my car for about 18 months and put about 11k on it so far (26k total). Not too painful:
-water leak into a rear led (had to be replaced) roughly 2k
-squeaky belt retrofit ($600)
-brake pads and rotors on the way out (will be calling Stu shortly about ordering the wilwoods)

Old 08-03-2014, 12:07 PM
steve36 is on a distinguished road
If you want to see real depreciation buy a brand new boat (40 feet and longer). Makes you forget the cost of diesel.
All nice mechanical things depreciate with use. That's the price of having fun.

Old 08-03-2014, 12:47 PM
dan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to all
My 2005 DB9 has pretty much needed nothing but fluid changes. It has been a great "super car" in terms of reliability. I did have the gear that runs the navigation display motor fail. I later found out the grease AM used on these gears back in the day had a chemical reaction with the plastic gear causing it to disintegrate over time. Aston has since come out with a "update kit" that I had installed. The other issue is the transmission cooler lines started to leak on me which I had repaired as well. I have had the car 2 years and those were the only nagging issues. Pretty impressive.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:54 PM
Breezman will become famous soon enoughBreezman will become famous soon enough
2011 V8S.. 18k No problems what so ever.. did the service on time at dealer for about $600. fill with Gas and go… use it as my DD and love every minute of it.

Old 08-13-2014, 01:55 AM
Bit of an update on mine
When BR did the failed ASM2 gearbox rebuild they also found a failing rear wheel bearing on an 18 month old 13k mile car
They replace both sides
I wonder if that was related to the gearbox issues?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What has your Aston been mechanically? Major issues?