Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

What has your Aston been mechanically? Major issues?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 05:49 PM
randyb will become famous soon enoughrandyb will become famous soon enough
Had my DB9 for a little over a year and here is what I repaired and maintenanced.

Coils - $1,500 parts - repair
Thermostat and PCV's - $130 - maintenance - same time as coils
Passenger side valve cover gasket - $180 - repair
1/4 window regulator - $300 - repair
driver side window regulator - $360 - repair
Navigation gears - $50 - repair - aftermarket panel did not fit right, I filed hinge down to correct

Old 02-22-2017, 06:12 PM
electronaut is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by randyb
Had my DB9 for a little over a year and here is what I repaired and maintenanced.

Coils - $1,500 parts - repair
Thermostat and PCV's - $130 - maintenance - same time as coils
Passenger side valve cover gasket - $180 - repair
1/4 window regulator - $300 - repair
driver side window regulator - $360 - repair
Navigation gears - $50 - repair - aftermarket panel did not fit right, I filed hinge down to correct
Out of curiosity, what year DB9, and what were the symptoms that led you to replace the coils?

Thanks!

Old 08-09-2019, 01:50 PM
Tedmarvel is an unknown quantity at this point
Aston Martin vantage. Ac

Does any body know where Ac condesation drain under the car is. 07 vantage. V8

Old 03-09-2024, 03:47 AM
ianbowden is an unknown quantity at this point
People forget that these cars are predominately hand built. If looked after properly and not ragged around, they are pretty reliable. Sometimes you come across a bit of a 'dud' like ALL other car manufacturers but that is just plain unlucky, but you cant 'tar all Astons with the same brush'. If you buy an Aston you have to expect to spend some money on it over the long term, and parts/labour are NOT cheap! I know of some owners who have spent nothing other than the usual wear & tear items and servicing even after 40k+ miles.

Old 03-09-2024, 10:57 AM
sliderule01 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a 2007 DB9 Volante with 44K miles. I bought it 2019 with 33K miles. I have had service done at Steel Wings since I bought it in CT. The issues I have had are mostly catching up with the maintenance that the previous single owner had deferred. Specifically, I have changed out coils and plugs (not cheap at $5K), replaced front brakes pads and rotors (not too bad as available from Brembo a lot cheaper than AM), replaced tires with Michelin 4S ($1600). I had a rear window in the convertible top start to delaminate ($200), Transmission cooler hoses replaced ($1K). I also had an intermittent check engine light for a small leak in the evap system. Turned out to be from several locations, including the purge valve, a return hose, and a bad gas cap. The purge valve was less than $500, and hose replace under the same cost. I bought a gas cap off of Amazon for $17 and have not had the error codes since. Last service had nothing really wrong and was cheapest yet. It was just a matter of catching up on deferred maintenance, and maintenance from not driving as much as I should be.

Old 03-11-2024, 01:58 PM
Argus will become famous soon enough
My main problem is the CEL popping on. I reset the light with my reader. I have changes the O2 sensors with oem but I will replace them again with Ford parts. The other problem I have is the AM radio band is not working. Other than those things car has been great.

Old 03-11-2024, 02:30 PM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
Update to my 5/27/14 post (wow, almost 10 years ago!) in this thread about my 2009 V8 Vantage (manual Coupe with the Sports Pack) that I bought new and now has 16k miles. Argus, as I mentioned in that previous post, the radio's AM band quit when the car was 2 years old (replaced the radio under warranty). About 6 months ago, the CEL came on with a service-emissions-system message, and I replaced the EGR valve. The fuel flap needs to be adjusted from time to time. That's the entire list of "problems" I've had with it. It's been a fantastic car. After all these years it's still an event every time. I find it more much more involving, and simply more fun, than the newer, faster and overly computerized/driver-aided new cars.

Old 03-14-2024, 04:31 AM
Originally Posted by sliderule01
I have a 2007 DB9 Volante with 44K miles. I bought it 2019 with 33K miles. I have had service done at Steel Wings since I bought it in CT. The issues I have had are mostly catching up with the maintenance that the previous single owner had deferred. Specifically, I have changed out coils and plugs (not cheap at $5K), replaced front brakes pads and rotors (not too bad as available from Brembo a lot cheaper than AM), replaced tires with Michelin 4S ($1600). I had a rear window in the convertible top start to delaminate ($200), Transmission cooler hoses replaced ($1K). I also had an intermittent check engine light for a small leak in the evap system. Turned out to be from several locations, including the purge valve, a return hose, and a bad gas cap. The purge valve was less than $500, and hose replace under the same cost. I bought a gas cap off of Amazon for $17 and have not had the error codes since. Last service had nothing really wrong and was cheapest yet. It was just a matter of catching up on deferred maintenance, and maintenance from not driving as much as I should be.
I have a 2008 DB9 Coupe. V12 plugs & coils are ridiculously expensive although I don't need them as yet, but may buy & change them anyway just as a precaution. I have yet to find any reasonable priced alternatives. ANY spare parts you find listed for AM seems to be quadruple ++ the price of similar items for other makes. I had a chrome V12 wing badge missing/stolen and the little 40mm x 20mm self adhesive replacement is listed at £160.00 retail!!! any other make for V12 badge is about £20.00 or less. You really have to buy any AM with your eyes very much wide open and expect to potentially fork out a fortune. Fortunately, you can source cheaper alternatives as older AM's use Ford and other manufacturers parts, and you need to take the time to research them.

Old 03-14-2024, 05:12 AM
sweet991S is an unknown quantity at this point
I have had my '10 V8V 6 speed (3 pedal) Roadster for a month and experienced: a) no way (at present) to connect my IPhone 13 to play Spotify - but it will connect to accept phone calls
b) brand new Velocity AP clutch (really love my new clutch!!)
c) replaced both door struts and the fuel filler cover strut
d)Both Check Engine Light and Yellow warning triangle lit up due to battery being disconnected -"Emissions bla bla" warning
e) won't pass Northern VA emissions test until I drive it for "4 drive cycles of 30/50 miles" acc to my Tech
f) Convertible top will not operate - Tech who did clutch believes "it's not a memory issue but rather a sensor issue (cannot wait to hear how much THAT will be to fix
Sooo, OTHER THAN THOSE ITEMS, I love the car......fast, sporty, and the prettiest car I have ever owned, period. BTW, anyone want to chime in about what I can do to rectify the balky soft top? TIA!

Old 03-14-2024, 05:30 AM
Originally Posted by sweet991S
I have had my '10 V8V 6 speed (3 pedal) Roadster for a month and experienced: a) no way (at present) to connect my IPhone 13 to play Spotify - but it will connect to accept phone calls
b) brand new Velocity AP clutch (really love my new clutch!!)
c) replaced both door struts and the fuel filler cover strut
d)Both Check Engine Light and Yellow warning triangle lit up due to battery being disconnected -"Emissions bla bla" warning
e) won't pass Northern VA emissions test until I drive it for "4 drive cycles of 30/50 miles" acc to my Tech
f) Convertible top will not operate - Tech who did clutch believes "it's not a memory issue but rather a sensor issue (cannot wait to hear how much THAT will be to fix
Sooo, OTHER THAN THOSE ITEMS, I love the car......fast, sporty, and the prettiest car I have ever owned, period. BTW, anyone want to chime in about what I can do to rectify the balky soft top? TIA!
Sorry, can't help with convertible issues as mine is a coup, but if you have the iPod connector socket for the sound system, then buy a Bovee 1000 bluetooth unit (with connector if required) you can then stream your phone wirelessly to play iTunes, Spotify, YouTube etc and still make & receive phone calls.

Old 03-14-2024, 05:47 AM
I do have one....can't seem to get it to connect to the car....!? And this is my second one (1st one came apart when I attempted to disconnect it from the IPod connector built into the car)....any suggestions? ;-)

Old 03-14-2024, 06:03 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
I do have one....can't seem to get it to connect to the car....!? And this is my second one (1st one came apart when I attempted to disconnect it from the IPod connector built into the car)....any suggestions? ;-)
Do you have any iTunes songs stored on the phone? This is a prereq for the ipod connection to work. I thought it the ipod connection was broken and bovee did not work, but it was a lack of stored music on my iphone. Was at the dealer and tried 5-6 different employee phones that all failed. All for the same reason. They were glad I figured it out for the next car that had same issue.

Old 03-14-2024, 06:07 AM
OH man! That explanation makes complete sense and is NOT included in any product details or other related posts or discussions! Appreciate you sir. (Wonder if I can return my Bovee?!)

Old 03-14-2024, 07:43 AM
You need the correct connection lead from the Bovee 1000 to the iPod socket.......it MUST be a Jaguar/Land Rover one otherwise it will not work (there are a number of different types of lead). I assume you have the iPod connection option on your existing radio screen? I have heard of people who can only play iTunes (provided there is an iTunes song to play in the library), but why I do not know. Mine works absolutely fine with any streaming music app and plays where it left off once the car is re-started again.

Maybe worth checking the Bluetooth connection from the Bovee to your phone and making sure the iPod option is selected on the radio head? If the Bovee is working there will be a small blue LED light showing on it. If not then you have no connection on the rear of the socket so make sure the iPod socket lead is connected properly under the centre console armrest. If the blue LED is flashing the you have no Bluetooth connection to your phone.

Last edited by ianbowden; 03-14-2024 at 07:46 AM.
Old 03-14-2024, 10:46 AM
EJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond repute
I got a Invery AirDual BT device, and I can connect my phone to this device (and then listen BT streaming through the "Ipod" function of the infotainment) and to the car (for phone calls). Can't complain!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What has your Aston been mechanically? Major issues?