Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

AIR CON blowing hot air

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 06:19 PM
05DB9jwhite is on a distinguished road
Question AIR CON blowing hot air

Gents,
My AC recently has started blowing warm air. Am I able to recharge/regas it my self with one of the can you can buy at the parts store? Also just want to make sure that the connection where i am to recharge it is under the hood on the passenger side under the windscreen wiper fluid container with the blue cap correct? Thanks for any help fellas.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:09 PM
zvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nice
according to the shop manual you can't just add refrigerant you have to purge the system and recharge to the correct amount.

Originally Posted by 05DB9jwhite
Gents,
My AC recently has started blowing warm air. Am I able to recharge/regas it my self with one of the can you can buy at the parts store? Also just want to make sure that the connection where i am to recharge it is under the hood on the passenger side under the windscreen wiper fluid container with the blue cap correct? Thanks for any help fellas.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	refirgerant.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	176.1 KB
ID:	380339  
Old 05-30-2014, 08:49 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
For the age of your car and wtv mileage, there's no reason why the system is empty unless it's leaking. Now either there is a mechanical/electrical issue here..or the system is low on R134a due to a leak, which will not allow the system to start to prevent damage to the compressor.

You can buy one of those diy kits but will cause more damage than anything..the system needs to be dry of moisture, if there's a leak, moisture is in the system and will cause damage to the compressor..depending on the leak there could also be dirt in the system with will require a new r-dryer and a flush of the system

Proper procedure is to fit a R134a pressure gauge to the high and low sides, see if there is pressure and what levels, that will determine weither it's a leak or mechanical/electrical issue to diagnose..

If it's a leak, the system will need to be filled with 250-300psi of nitrogen and inspected. Depending on local law..like my Province, I can get fined $500-2,000 if I fill a system that I "know" has a leak..also to fill an A/C system with R134a, some local laws require you to have a license to handle ozone harming refrigerant. The cans you buy in the store for the diy jobs are not R-134a, they are just 134a, which means there are not refrigerant, no license needed..

I know it's easy to buy a diy charge can and see what happens, just the cars I've seen from these diy cans require a compressor in due time because of the moisture that was left in the lines, compressor's for a DB9 are starting around $1,200..so I would suggest visiting your dealer to see what direction to go in..mechanical/electrical/leak. You can try indie shops to diagnose the system, but they will not be able to scan the body computer of the vehicle to diagnose the mechanical/electrical side of things, they might be able to "figure" it out but after how many hours of labour?!

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9
Office: (1)250-485-5126
Email: Tuning@VelocityAP.com

www.velocityap.com

Old 05-30-2014, 08:59 AM
zvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nice
exc, information Irish!

Chris

Originally Posted by irish07
For the age of your car and wtv mileage, there's no reason why the system is empty unless it's leaking. Now either there is a mechanical/electrical issue here..or the system is low on R134a due to a leak, which will not allow the system to start to prevent damage to the compressor.

You can buy one of those diy kits but will cause more damage than anything..the system needs to be dry of moisture, if there's a leak, moisture is in the system and will cause damage to the compressor..depending on the leak there could also be dirt in the system with will require a new r-dryer and a flush of the system

Proper procedure is to fit a R134a pressure gauge to the high and low sides, see if there is pressure and what levels, that will determine weither it's a leak or mechanical/electrical issue to diagnose..

If it's a leak, the system will need to be filled with 250-300psi of nitrogen and inspected. Depending on local law..like my Province, I can get fined $500-2,000 if I fill a system that I "know" has a leak..also to fill an A/C system with R134a, some local laws require you to have a license to handle ozone harming refrigerant. The cans you buy in the store for the diy jobs are not R-134a, they are just 134a, which means there are not refrigerant, no license needed..

I know it's easy to buy a diy charge can and see what happens, just the cars I've seen from these diy cans require a compressor in due time because of the moisture that was left in the lines, compressor's for a DB9 are starting around $1,200..so I would suggest visiting your dealer to see what direction to go in..mechanical/electrical/leak. You can try indie shops to diagnose the system, but they will not be able to scan the body computer of the vehicle to diagnose the mechanical/electrical side of things, they might be able to "figure" it out but after how many hours of labour?!

Old 05-30-2014, 03:50 PM
Irish,
Wow. Awesome response
Thanks. Now the dealership quoted me $220 for the r134a regas/recharge. If there is some type of leak or mechanical or electrical issue do you have any idea how much this issue might cost to get fixed? It was 95° today and we haven't even started the summer down here. Thanks again

Old 05-30-2014, 06:57 PM
Amazing! I just noted you're in Columbus GA too!

Irish,
Wow. Awesome response
Thanks. Now the dealership quoted me $220 for the r134a regas/recharge. If there is some type of leak or mechanical or electrical issue do you have any idea how much this issue might cost to get fixed? It was 95° today and we haven't even started the summer down here. Thanks again

Old 05-30-2014, 07:01 PM
Originally Posted by zvez
Amazing! I just noted you're in Columbus GA too!
Haha yep. Down here in the heat of the south. Which crushed the adhesive in my headliner BTW

Old 05-30-2014, 07:08 PM
Yah man im in columbus. The white one isnt mine that belongs to a guy named Chico. He owns a tint shop. I have the almond green db9 with black wheels and tinted windows. Sorry I can't PM yet apparently.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:16 PM
Ah, I was wondering if you were chico as I knew he had one. He's got a vantage right?

drop me a line sometime and we can meet up for lunch! zvezdah1 AT knology.net

Yah man im in columbus. The white one isnt mine that belongs to a guy named Chico. He owns a tint shop. I have the almond green db9 with black wheels and tinted windows. Sorry I can't PM yet apparently.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by Ivez
Ah, I was wondering if you were chico as I knew he had one. He's got a vantage right?

drop me a line sometime and we can meet up for lunch! zvezdah1 AT knology.net
No his Is that limited edition one. I can't remember the name though. He actualky just did my tint today. You work at knology? Good stuff. Im an instructor out at Ranger school

Old 05-30-2014, 07:30 PM
nope, I work at the Bradley center which is a pscyhe hospital here in town. I just wrote the 'AT" to keep the spambots away for my email addy.

No his Is that limited edition one. I can't remember the name though. He actualky just did my tint today. You work at knology? Good stuff. Im an instructor out at Ranger school

Old 05-30-2014, 08:19 PM
[QUO.=zvez;4125073]nope, I work at the Bradley center which is a pscyhe hospital here in town. I just wrote the 'AT" to keep the spambots away for my email addy.[/QUOTE]

Nice thats cool man. What are the odds were in the same town. I've never even see your car out and about.