Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

- BG Stop Squeal: Finally a cure for Aston Martin Brake Squeal issues -

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 02:59 PM
terminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to behold
Porterfields = zero squeal

Old 11-16-2014, 05:49 PM
mkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud of
Haha I was out with a girl last night in the aston and she said my brakes sounded so ghetto every time we come to a stop

Old 11-17-2014, 11:56 AM
koolkat1973 will become famous soon enough
I installed Porterfields a little over a month ago. No squeal at all until last Friday when I started hearing it again. Hopefully - that was a fluke. Haven't driven the car since then.

Old 11-19-2014, 04:04 PM
PhoenixRising is on a distinguished road
I just applied the BG Stop Squeal to the fronts which are Carbotech 1521. I'm still hearing the squeal, but I'm going to let the car sit to see if the pads need more time.

Anybody have over 6 months with this on them? I'm curious if this truly lasts and lasts for the life of the pad? I saw that koolkat1973 didn't have the same results as others.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

UPDATE - I ran an errand and heard my brakes squealing again. Now I thought this was ALWAYS a front brake issue since I could swear I only heard it reflecting from the front of the car. Color me wrong! They were sounding off from the back this time. I'm not sure if all of them were making noise or not, but I was sure after having done the fronts that this was DEFINITELY the rears now.

I just finished applying the fluid to the rear pads (3 coats to be safe - haha) and my test drive was fantastic. I think they could see my smile in California. This stuff, at least for the time being, WORKS.

I'll be updating my findings as time goes by. Thank you, 007 Vantage, for helping get the word out about this. Aston's achilles heal (for me at least) may finally be fixed.

Last edited by PhoenixRising; 11-19-2014 at 06:08 PM.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:10 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising
UPDATE - I ran an errand and heard my brakes squealing again. Now I thought this was ALWAYS a front brake issue since I could swear I only heard it reflecting from the front of the car. Color me wrong! They were sounding off from the back this time. I'm not sure if all of them were making noise or not, but I was sure after having done the fronts that this was DEFINITELY the rears now.

I just finished applying the fluid to the rear pads (3 coats to be safe - haha) and my test drive was fantastic. I think they could see my smile in California. This stuff, at least for the time being, WORKS.

I'll be updating my findings as time goes by. Thank you, 007 Vantage, for helping get the word out about this. Aston's achilles heal (for me at least) may finally be fixed.
Another thing to consider is the e-brake pads. Not sure if that applies to your experience specifically, but when those squeak it sounds like it's coming from the front of the car even though it's actually coming from the rear.

Old 11-20-2014, 07:21 AM
Originally Posted by telum01
Another thing to consider is the e-brake pads. Not sure if that applies to your experience specifically, but when those squeak it sounds like it's coming from the front of the car even though it's actually coming from the rear.
Luckily that's not a problem for me. When my brakes squeal, I usually go straight for the ebrake to stop the car in those noisiest last few feet. That's always a silent solution, luckily.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:44 AM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
^^^^ Which means it could be the e-brake since applying it would cause it to stop squealing.

Old 11-20-2014, 09:19 AM
Ah! We'll see if the issue returns. I think we've all gotten so good at brake jobs on this car that doing the e-brake would be quick and painless.

Although since the squealing would only happen at specific braking pressure and speed, I doubt this would be the e-brake. I can reduce braking pressure during the squeal and make it stop. Also sometimes I can overbrake to prevent it. I would imagine the e-brake noise would happen regardless of foot brake pressure, correct?

Old 11-20-2014, 10:53 AM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
The e-brake noise usually manifests itself as a mouse-like squeak most noticeable when making low speed turns.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:21 AM
Originally Posted by karlfranz
The e-brake noise usually manifests itself as a mouse-like squeak most noticeable when making low speed turns.
That's good to know. It's not my current problem thank goodness. And a nice drive this morning was 'eerily' quiet during all my stops. I'm so happy with the results!

Old 01-14-2015, 12:08 PM
I wanted to report back. After almost two months of daily driving the brakes are still perfectly quiet! This stuff is amazing.

Now here's the funny part. I called my SA at Scottsdale Aston Martin to let him know of this super inexpensive solution. I figured he's tell me there's no way AM would condone putting any fluid on the friction material. But he actually said they apply BG Stop Squeal to EVERY pad that gets changed at the dealership! It's just part of their duties during a brake pad job. I had to laugh.

Here I was trying to do work myself to save a couple dollars and enjoy working on the car. Turns out I wouldn't have had this issue had I taken it to the dealer in the first place.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:06 PM
Jeremyosj is on a distinguished road
I have been using Porterfield from Stu for 7 months with hard driving and I am happy to say that they are still squeal free

Old 03-24-2015, 12:24 PM
koolkat1973 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by koolkat1973
I installed Porterfields a little over a month ago. No squeal at all until last Friday when I started hearing it again. Hopefully - that was a fluke. Haven't driven the car since then.
It's been 4 months now since the Porterfields were installed to both front and rear and absolutely no brake squeal at all.

Old 03-24-2015, 02:19 PM
I have been using Porterfield R4-S pads for almost 20 years with no squeal and significantly less dust than OEM brake pads.

Old 03-26-2015, 09:17 AM
mindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to all
FWIW, I was having some brake squealing on mine as well. MY12.25 with about 8K on it. No squealing in the summer, but it got really bad when the temps started dipping below 50ish.

i asked the local dealer about it and they told me to try the bedding in procedure. Did it and it didn't help.

Took it in to them this week so they could check it out and they ended up chamfering the edges of the stock pads to stop the squeal. Told me that the squeal had something to do with the pad edge hitting the rotor at a 90 degree angle and hitting any debris that might be on the rotor.

So far so good and this fix was covered under warranty using SB06-0344v2.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: - BG Stop Squeal: Finally a cure for Aston Martin Brake Squeal issues -