Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

- BG Stop Squeal: Finally a cure for Aston Martin Brake Squeal issues -

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 09:05 AM
RolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura about
Porterfields not quite utopia

Running the Porterfields (great for low dust) but after 9 months started getting intermittent brake squeal. Squeal one week, then nothing the next two weeks.... typically low speed slow braking. Planning to try 'Coppercoat' on the back of the rear pads some weekend soon. Just ordered the BG as well.

Car is driven daily, and realistically not 'that' agressively... which I hear is part of the problem. I do get a HUGE rear brake squeal if I am braking slowly from a triple digit speed to something closer to the posted speed limit. This of course isn't a typical daily problem.... But the low speed squeal is still on/off again with the porterfields.

Side note.... If I don't run the car and really dry off the pads right after washing the car... the porterfields leave a very noticable 'rust?' black mark on the rotor that leaves a high spot and takes a week to fully wear off.... (feels like warped rotor but isn't)... takes away from the refined braking feel until its gone...

Last edited by RolexDaytona1; 03-27-2015 at 09:21 AM.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:38 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Try BG, after 6+ months there was still zero squeal

Old 03-30-2015, 06:02 PM
Townshend is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mindscape9
FWIW, I was having some brake squealing on mine as well. MY12.25 with about 8K on it. No squealing in the summer, but it got really bad when the temps started dipping below 50ish.

i asked the local dealer about it and they told me to try the bedding in procedure. Did it and it didn't help.

Took it in to them this week so they could check it out and they ended up chamfering the edges of the stock pads to stop the squeal. Told me that the squeal had something to do with the pad edge hitting the rotor at a 90 degree angle and hitting any debris that might be on the rotor.

So far so good and this fix was covered under warranty using SB06-0344v2.
Good tip, I'll have to look into. I had BG Stop Squeal done on my front and rears a couple weeks ago but still have a slight squeal, always noticeable under 10mph. Unfortunately I've only ever owned the car when it's been ~50 or below

Old 06-08-2015, 10:05 AM
Tron is on a distinguished road
e-Brake Noise

Originally Posted by karlfranz
The e-brake noise usually manifests itself as a mouse-like squeak most noticeable when making low speed turns.
How did you fix that problem? I am having the same issues at low speed turns.

Old 06-08-2015, 10:07 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
If you are getting squeel at low speeds below 10mph, especially whule turning, then its your rear E-brake pads. They are a separate set of mini pads for the E-brake caliper, and because they are a "dragger" style self adjusting mechanism, the pads are always touching the surface of the rotor(just with no force behind them unless you pull the handle.

This brings up an important point... When you do BG stop squeel make sure to do ALL the brake pads, including thr mini E-brake pads.

Old 06-09-2015, 10:41 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Not to be pedantic but, all the brake pads on the car are always touching the rotor.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:27 AM
911MTB will become famous soon enough
So, are we saying the only cure for the chirping e-brake is with BG Stop squeal or is there a mechanical adjustment that can be done?

Old 06-10-2015, 08:38 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 911MTB
So, are we saying the only cure for the chirping e-brake is with BG Stop squeal or is there a mechanical adjustment that can be done?
Might be a combination of pads and how the car is driven. No squeak at all on mine and I don't have the BG stuff on it.

Old 06-10-2015, 01:07 PM
boxercupdave has a spectacular aura aboutboxercupdave has a spectacular aura about
I'm running EBC pads and still had terrible brake squeal on the rear after break in. They provide me with the factory bulletin for fitting the additional metal isolator along with new composite material attached to the isolator. Also picked up a tube of the brake grease from the dealer. After doing this no squeals at all.

For the e-brake the dealer replaced mine but I've had them off when replacing main rear pads and no squeal from pads. Easy to see if e-brake pads as you can slightly pull up on brake handle when going slow to see if additional contact to rotor eliminates pad vibration.

Also the brake cable can just kiss the wheel as was on mine when I bought it. Thought it was the e brakes but just needed to adjust the cable out of the way.

Dave

Old 07-30-2015, 03:05 PM
VantageGT is on a distinguished road
First off, I want to give a huge "THANK YOU!!!" to 007_Vantage and all the rest of you on this thread for your help in solving my brake squeal problems!!

I purchased a new 2015 Vantage GT this past April and within the first couple of months, I started having brake squeal issues. It became so loud, it sounded like a truck or bus coming to a stop. It was extremely annoying/embarrassing and I began to avoid driving the car.

I spoke to the dealership and received the usual recommendations about "re-bedding" the brakes and braking harder during normal driving. Tried this and but it didn't help.

I had the dealership look at the brakes twice and on the 2nd visit, they applied the recommended paste to the back side of the pads. They did not hold out much hope that it would solve the problem. Is was just a known issue that I was supposed to live with.

With the paste applied, the squealing while braking was much better though not entirely gone. However, I still had an extremely loud squeal while slowly turning corners WITHOUT applying the brakes.

Frustrated, I turned to the Internet for help and found your thread here on 6SpeedOnLine!! I learned that my slow turn squeal was probably the e-brake pads and that the dealership must not have applied the paste to the back of those pads. Combined with that knowledge and the information about BG Stop Squeal, I felt that the problem might be resolvable.

I ordered several bottles of BG Stop Squeal over the Internet and returned to the dealer to have them install it along with adding paste to the back of the e-brake pads. I only had them use one bottle of the BG Stop Squeal as I was a little concerned on the impact on braking.

The results are GREAT!! The week after I had the BG Stop Squeal applied, I drove over 750miles in a combination of city and Hwy driving (spent my week's vacation driving the new toy ). I did not hear one squeal!!! Since that time, I have added another 100+miles and have started to hear a occasional, very minor squeal while braking. It is very infrequent thing and I have to listen hard to hear it.

At this stage, I'm very happy with the result and may have the dealership add a 2nd bottle of BG Stop Squeal when I have the car in for its annual service.

Once again, thanks for all your help!! I now love driving my car again.

VantageGT

Old 07-30-2015, 09:41 PM
Glad it worked out for you! Yea the paste on the backside of the pads never really works because that is not the cause of the issue (as I stated previously). The real problem is the actual pad compound itself. The only way to truly cure it as a I stated is with the BG stop squeal.

Sometimes if you only use 1 full bottle it can come back ever so slightly, that's why I always use 2 full bottles (use one, let dry for 20min, then apply the second wait another 20 min). This virtually guarantees no squal because the entire pad is soaked all the way through to the backing plate with the BG the stop squeal.

The best part about it is if it ever does come back say a few years down the road, you can easily do it again for super cheap and never have any issues. For me the squeals have never come back at all.

It is such an effective method that Bentley Houston now uses it on their customers cars that complain of squealing, so OEM dealerships are even starting to do it frequently. It really does work that well

Old 01-22-2016, 03:13 PM
KOCF has a spectacular aura aboutKOCF has a spectacular aura aboutKOCF has a spectacular aura about
007 Vantage:
Thanks for the tip. Put two bottles of BG on my DB9 brakes that squealed horribly. Everything is quite now.

Old 12-23-2016, 07:49 PM
King Prinze is an unknown quantity at this point

I have an 06 DB9 and im having serious issues with the squealing I just installed after market ceramic pads. What should i do since you're insisting the BG stop squeal is not a good remedy for the ceramic pads?

Originally Posted by AMFixer
This might not last as long as you would hope . I have applied this to many cars. If you don't drive a lot you will need to repeat this process after bout 6 months. It almost seems to dry out.
Don't not apply this to ceramic brakes. You will make it worse and can even destroy the rotors.

Old 12-23-2016, 08:03 PM
King Prinze is an unknown quantity at this point

Were your breakpads on the DB9 ceramic?

Originally Posted by KOCF
007 Vantage:
Thanks for the tip. Put two bottles of BG on my DB9 brakes that squealed horribly. Everything is quite now.

Old 12-24-2016, 03:05 PM
randyb will become famous soon enoughrandyb will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by telum01
Might be a combination of pads and how the car is driven. No squeak at all on mine and I don't have the BG stuff on it.
What did you use between the back of the pad and the caliper?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: - BG Stop Squeal: Finally a cure for Aston Martin Brake Squeal issues -