Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Another new wannabe...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 11:18 AM
zuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to behold
Another new wannabe...

I suspect there's a pretty substantial subset of people like me: 50-60ish, professional, kids in college or on their own, and (hopefully) a few "earning" years left...
When I was younger I had great "stuff"... Lotus Europa, Porsche, great stereo, the right ski equipment, motorcycle, etc., but then came marriage, kids, mortgage, 401k, social conscience, and a whole different sense of responsibility.
I've always wanted an Aston Martin. I grew up in England before moving to the U.S. forty years ago, and people from Newport Pagnell would often stop by my grandmother's nearby village store, driving various DB somethings. There was great excitement the day the Bond DB5 stopped by for a newspaper and some cheese!
Anyway, I'm planning to acquire a pre-owned Aston Martin sometime between now and retirement. Being a husband and father has taught me a bit about tempering my natural impetuousness, and I'm planning to come to a decision I can live with for ten years. While I'd love a 90s Virage, I don't want to spend my life looking for parts or worrying whether I'll successfully complete the next 200 mile leg of a road trip with my wife. And while I used to think a DB7 would be my selection, I've recently been thinking that if I'm heading in that direction, I might as well go for a DB9. But a V8 Vantage might be a better compromise between my age and my Lotus roots! And speaking of compromise, I'd personally prefer a coupe, but I know that my wife (who doesn't understand any of this) would enjoy a Volante more, and a happy wife more than makes up for a little cowl shake...
So I suspect I'll be lurking here for a while. One day, however, the stars, the investments, and my wife will align and I'll find the right car. 'Til then, I'll keep learning and living vicariously through you owners. Thank you!

Old 08-03-2014, 11:47 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Welcome zuman. I hope you can fulfill your dream soon!

Old 08-03-2014, 12:12 PM
Banned
CALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by zuman
I suspect there's a pretty substantial subset of people like me: 50-60ish, professional, kids in college or on their own, and (hopefully) a few "earning" years left...
When I was younger I had great "stuff"... Lotus Europa, Porsche, great stereo, the right ski equipment, motorcycle, etc., but then came marriage, kids, mortgage, 401k, social conscience, and a whole different sense of responsibility.
I've always wanted an Aston Martin. I grew up in England before moving to the U.S. forty years ago, and people from Newport Pagnell would often stop by my grandmother's nearby village store, driving various DB somethings. There was great excitement the day the Bond DB5 stopped by for a newspaper and some cheese!
Anyway, I'm planning to acquire a pre-owned Aston Martin sometime between now and retirement. Being a husband and father has taught me a bit about tempering my natural impetuousness, and I'm planning to come to a decision I can live with for ten years. While I'd love a 90s Virage, I don't want to spend my life looking for parts or worrying whether I'll successfully complete the next 200 mile leg of a road trip with my wife. And while I used to think a DB7 would be my selection, I've recently been thinking that if I'm heading in that direction, I might as well go for a DB9. But a V8 Vantage might be a better compromise between my age and my Lotus roots! And speaking of compromise, I'd personally prefer a coupe, but I know that my wife (who doesn't understand any of this) would enjoy a Volante more, and a happy wife more than makes up for a little cowl shake...
So I suspect I'll be lurking here for a while. One day, however, the stars, the investments, and my wife will align and I'll find the right car. 'Til then, I'll keep learning and living vicariously through you owners. Thank you!
I can appreciate every word you just wrote. I fall within that subset as well. I have been blessed to already have owned a few dream cars. An F430, a number of Porsche Turbos and my latest, a 2012 Turbo S. All have been sold and all were enjoyed immensely. My current vehicles; a 2013 640i Grand Coupe with all the options except the B&O stereo and active cruise control. My wife drives a 2014 Q5 TDI S line SUV we purchased earlier in the year. So although we enjoy both the "fast sports car" has been missing from my garage since December of 2013. Doesn't sound like a long time but on a day-to-day basis it's long for me. I have been trying to decide what car will be next to fill that void. Have some very nice cars on 6Speed for sale. Very tempting indeed. But I have also tried to not rush into that next 'sports car" purchase. So good luck and happy hunting. As they say the hunt is far better then the conquest. So take you time and get the right car you both will enjoy. You have earned it and deserve at this point life's journey.

Old 08-03-2014, 03:24 PM
spf1410 has a spectacular aura aboutspf1410 has a spectacular aura about
Once you get the wife put together, the rest is a walk in the park.

Old 08-03-2014, 05:26 PM
dicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of light
In earlier years I had a couple of Corvettes, a Mercedes coupe, a Porsche, but I always lusted after an Aston-Martin (maybe a little bit of the Bond-envy). After a few years thinking and talking about some day owning an Aston, my wife finally said, "Why don't you buy it while you're still young enough to drive it--as it should be driven!" And buy it now as a birthday present for yourself (I was just turning 75)". So 4-years ago I found a beautiful 2008 in IL, 1-year old and 4,500 miles. My wife and I had a great 3-week vacation driving back to our home Lake Tahoe NV. The Aston now has 27,300 miles. I guess the message is--Don't wait as long as I did!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Aston.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	398296  
Old 08-03-2014, 05:40 PM
zvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nice
great looking car and owner there!
Originally Posted by dicktahoe
In earlier years I had a couple of Corvettes, a Mercedes coupe, a Porsche, but I always lusted after an Aston-Martin (maybe a little bit of the Bond-envy). After a few years thinking and talking about some day owning an Aston, my wife finally said, "Why don't you buy it while you're still young enough to drive it--as it should be driven!" And buy it now as a birthday present for yourself (I was just turning 75)". So 4-years ago I found a beautiful 2008 in IL, 1-year old and 4,500 miles. My wife and I had a great 3-week vacation driving back to our home Lake Tahoe NV. The Aston now has 27,300 miles. I guess the message is--Don't wait as long as I did!

Old 08-03-2014, 07:00 PM
07sportspack will become famous soon enough
QUOTE "And speaking of compromise, I'd personally prefer a coupe, but I know that my wife (who doesn't understand any of this) would enjoy a Volante more, and a happy wife more than makes up for a little cowl shake..."

From your comment above your 70% there. Don't wait too long for the experience! Every drive is a special event. Hope to see pic's soon--

Old 08-03-2014, 09:40 PM
rbobby is on a distinguished road
Just do it. I got mine early because I didn't want to wait until I'm too old to drive it hard. Now I have the opposite problem. Just had our first baby, can't go for a drive with the wife and kid, only two seats. Went to the grocery store today taking the long way again, it was a blast. I suggest you get a roadster. Half the fun is have the top down and let the engine sing.

Old 08-03-2014, 10:23 PM
Jay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud of
One thing to note, if you plan on using the car for trips, unless you wife knows how to pack really light (seems to be rare), you are better off with the coupe because the trunk space in the convertible is really limited.

Old 08-04-2014, 01:22 AM
ComoLakeItaly is on a distinguished road
I have only cabriolet cars, try the coupe and the cabrio before to buy it

Old 08-04-2014, 12:04 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Hi Zuman, thanks for posting!

I've been told by far too many people twice my age that I grew up too quickly. I ended up buying my Aston from another forum member after going through something akin to a midlife crisis (started when I was 25, culminated when I was 27 - at which point I found the car and bought it). I'm definitely not the oldest nor wisest member of the forum, but I've experienced a fair share. So all I'll say is that you get one life, make it count. Don't do anything stupid, of course, but don't hold back to the point that you'd regret it in hindsight.

And if you can find the car you're looking for, get it! They're amazing machines and worthwhile to own.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.