Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

New Aston 8-Speed gearbox

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 05:37 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
New Aston 8-Speed gearbox

Today Aston finally made public their new 8-Speed Touchtronic III gearbox after months of some of us having to keep quiet:

Last edited by karlfranz; 08-05-2014 at 05:40 PM.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:00 PM
dan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by karlfranz
Today Aston finally made public their new 8-Speed Touchtronic III gearbox after months of some of us having to keep quiet:

http://youtu.be/AnWMPiaD-Ug
http://youtu.be/qKoWRbA9Fcg
That's great! I'm glad there being innovative. Unfortunately, I just have a feeling the 6.0L V12 is at the end of its life cycle! Man... I love that engine and hopefully they can figure out a way to keep it around a little while longer.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:11 PM
V12V will become famous soon enough
So they can't fit it in the Vantage?

Old 08-05-2014, 07:14 PM
steve36 is on a distinguished road
I have an Audi A8 with an 8 speed auto gear box.
It sometimes is a bit rough when going through rolling stops. (not coming to a full stop for a stop sign).
Hopefully Aston Martin has solved this issue.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:31 PM
DonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant future
Will reserve judgement...

I watched both videos and was somewhat underwhelmed...

We'll have to wait and see if they trot one out for us to test drive later this month at Monterey .

Old 08-05-2014, 07:44 PM
sdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by steve36
I have an Audi A8 with an 8 speed auto gear box.
It sometimes is a bit rough when going through rolling stops. (not coming to a full stop for a stop sign).
Hopefully Aston Martin has solved this issue.
I'm not driving the R8 but an A5 3.0TDI with a massive 600Nm of torque and I'm experiencing the same as you despite the fact mine is an older, 7-speed S-tronic: the downshift in particular when rolling-out to a stop isn't particularly 'smooth'..

But great to see indeed they're sticking on to the V12 for a bit longer. I'm afraid though it'll be soon over or they could consider re-badging Tesla's to comply with the average European CO2 emission-standards set..

Old 08-05-2014, 09:08 PM
rbobby is on a distinguished road
Is the advertised transmission shift times a meaningful figure on how fast a car feels? I don't get if the auto box can do 120ms and asm1 was quoted at 200ms, why not just stick the auto into a vantage and be done with it? No more worries about clutch wearing out. Maybe shift time doesn't include how long it takes for actual power delivery?

Old 08-05-2014, 10:12 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
The touch shift 3 is basically the same ZF 8speed out of the Jaguar Ftype. A
Though it is an automatic transmission, it's the best auto ever made. It's honestly way better than ASM1 and ASM2. I never drove ASM3 in the V12S but I wouldn't be surprised if it's better than even that in performance situations. It shifts extremely fast for an auto and is super refined during normal driving (Astons biggest Achilles heel on all of its automated shifting cars).

Naturally this was a logical choice after almost a decade of criticisms about their old school automated manuals. Good choice, but not really a game changer.

Old 08-06-2014, 06:48 AM
IbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant future
This is the sort of really impressive news that I was hoping for when we went through the "meh" announcement of the volante V12S.

So, can it, will it go into a Vantage? That'd be brilliant.

Old 08-06-2014, 06:52 AM
V12V will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by 007 Vantage
The touch shift 3 is basically the same ZF 8speed out of the Jaguar Ftype. A
Though it is an automatic transmission, it's the best auto ever made. It's honestly way better than ASM1 and ASM2. I never drove ASM3 in the V12S but I wouldn't be surprised if it's better than even that in performance situations. It shifts extremely fast for an auto and is super refined during normal driving (Astons biggest Achilles heel on all of its automated shifting cars).

Naturally this was a logical choice after almost a decade of criticisms about their old school automated manuals. Good choice, but not really a game changer.
Which makes the SSIII in the V12S even more of an instant antique. It's ironic that the S roadster hasn't even hit the streets yet and Aston announces a better transmission on the way. I assume they will tell us it won't fit in the Vantage.

Old 08-06-2014, 06:54 AM
IbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant future
Ok, now I've watched the first video.

Dear Aston Martin, while I'm sure that Ian is a really brilliant guy, please don't ever put him in front of consumers again. GEEEEEZZZZ could he sound less enthusiastic? I'm not saying you need Lady Gaga, but someone with a decent fitting suit and some passion in his/her voice would really make for a more convincing brand statement.

Meanwhile, I really want a Rapide S

Old 08-06-2014, 08:13 AM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by IbisRider
This is the sort of really impressive news that I was hoping for when we went through the "meh" announcement of the volante V12S.

So, can it, will it go into a Vantage? That'd be brilliant.
Yeah. I was sort of hoping they were going to announce it then but for some reason they decided to hold off until now (perhaps to keep themselves in the headlines longer) so I had to keep my mouth shut.

As much as the SportShift gearbox gets panned by the media, I don't think it would be a bad idea if they just replaced it with the ZF 8-speed for those who don't want a manual. The F-Type gearbox is really very good. Maybe use it on the V8V and keep SportShift III for the V12VS/R.

And yes, Ian's delivery could use a lot of work. I don't know if he is the best choice for a spokesman.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:15 AM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by V12V
Which makes the SSIII in the V12S even more of an instant antique. It's ironic that the S roadster hasn't even hit the streets yet and Aston announces a better transmission on the way. I assume they will tell us it won't fit in the Vantage.
SSIII still does downshifts better than any ZF 8 speed auto I have driven, antique or no. It's the same old debate: should the Vantage have a manual or an automated transmission that behaves like a manual, or should it get something more 'up to date'?

No question that on upshifts the ZF 8 speed does a creditable impression of a dual clutch transmission, and it retains all the best features of an auto for when you want it to do all the work for you. I don't think there is any doubt that it is the right transmission for the bigger cars in the range, and those are the ones that are now getting it.

Last edited by spinecho; 08-06-2014 at 08:17 AM.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:16 AM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by karlfranz
And yes, Ian's delivery could use a lot of work. I don't know if he is the best choice for a spokesman.
Maybe they should bring the good Dr. back for the videos, so that we can be reminded how to pronounce "Wankwish"...

Old 08-06-2014, 08:51 AM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
I agree, Ian's delivery is terrible lol.

I actually think the downshifts on the ZF8 are actually better than AS,1 & 2, but I haven't driven 3 so I cannot say in that regard. I do think it is better in almost every single way which is why almost every manufacturer from BMW to Jag is using it now. In many ways autos have gotten so good they have replaced single clutch automated manuals.

If the ZF8 fits in the Ftype then it should be able to fit into the vantage in theory since they are almost identical in size (and eerily similar in design). Perhaps the main reason they did not bother to put it into the vantage is they know the vantage is already on the way out, and in less than 2 years time they will be using the new transmission (and engine) out of the new "baby SLS" AMG GT. On top of that, the fact that Aston may not even be able to import the coupes after September and the cabrio a until next Sept, I think Aston has made it pretty clear they do not want to be investing in the old platform anymore as it is on its way out pretty soon.

From a business standpoint it makes perfect sense, all though I agree that it is the perfect interim solution.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New Aston 8-Speed gearbox