Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

New Aston 8-Speed gearbox

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 09:17 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
ZF makes various versions of that transmission and they go in everything from the BMW Z4 to the Rolls Royce Ghost. I'm sure the higher the torque rating, the larger the transmission.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_8HP_transmission
I'm guessing the one going into the Vanquish and Rapide S is the 8HP70 with custom gear ratios (I'm sure they're custom for each car they are put in).

As for putting one in a Vantage? I'm betting no, the 8HP70 won't fit - look at the cars it fits; they're all pretty large. The 8HP55 would probably fit (it works for an Audi A4) and could handle the V8's torque (not the V12's), but I have no idea what the layout is like (AM uses rear-mounted transmissions - does the 8HP55 fit that configuration?).

Old 08-06-2014, 10:23 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
The autobox will not fit in any current Vantage model, the tunnel is to narrow(reason for the manual box, it just skins the manual gearbox. When a DB9 has a manual box fitted, I can bear hug the gearbox cause there's so much room, with the autobox in a DB9 it's tight..Changing the tunnel on a Vantage is unlikely, it's part of the crash zone to collapse..now on a new redesigned Vantage, anything is possible

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9
Office: (1)250-485-5126
Email: Tuning@VelocityAP.com

www.velocityap.com

Old 08-06-2014, 10:33 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by telum01
ZF makes various versions of that transmission and they go in everything from the BMW Z4 to the Rolls Royce Ghost. I'm sure the higher the torque rating, the larger the transmission.

ZF 8HP transmission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm guessing the one going into the Vanquish and Rapide S is the 8HP70 with custom gear ratios (I'm sure they're custom for each car they are put in).

As for putting one in a Vantage? I'm betting no, the 8HP70 won't fit - look at the cars it fits; they're all pretty large. The 8HP55 would probably fit (it works for an Audi A4) and could handle the V8's torque (not the V12's), but I have no idea what the layout is like (AM uses rear-mounted transmissions - does the 8HP55 fit that configuration?).
It is the rear mounting that voids this as possible..if it was front mounted, I'm sure they could push the engine forward slightly and shoe-horn the SOB into place...but then good luck on keeping up with anything around corners unless the engine was a 4cyl to balance the weight increase in front

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9

www.velocityap.com

Old 08-06-2014, 02:24 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
As for the F-Type's transmission - for whatever reason, I can't seem to find a description of the engine/transmission layout or even a pic. But I *think* the transmission is attached directly to the engine (coupled by bell housing and torque converter) rather than the Vantage's layout, which has a rear-mounted transmission with a torque tube and prop shaft to connect them. If that's the case, definitely not a direct swap.

Old 08-06-2014, 02:30 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by telum01
As for the F-Type's transmission - for whatever reason, I can't seem to find a description of the engine/transmission layout or even a pic. But I *think* the transmission is attached directly to the engine (coupled by bell housing and torque converter) rather than the Vantage's layout, which has a rear-mounted transmission with a torque tube and prop shaft to connect them. If that's the case, definitely not a direct swap.
F-type is front engine/trans..bellhousing is part of trans

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9

www.velocityap.com

Old 08-07-2014, 08:19 AM
V12V will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by irish07
It is the rear mounting that voids this as possible..if it was front mounted, I'm sure they could push the engine forward slightly and shoe-horn the SOB into place...but then good luck on keeping up with anything around corners unless the engine was a 4cyl to balance the weight increase in front
I talked to my guy at Aston and he confirmed there are no plans to try and make the 8 speed fit the Vantage. We have what we have until the new cars come out. Too bad.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:29 AM
Originally Posted by V12V
I talked to my guy at Aston and he confirmed there are no plans to try and make the 8 speed fit the Vantage. We have what we have until the new cars come out. Too bad.
I don't see an auto transmission happening in the next Vantage. It'll definitely have a dual-clutch, and we can only hope for a manual.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:07 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
I just love the SS trans in my Vanquish...