Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Having a stalling problem with your V8V?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 11:36 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Having a stalling problem with your V8V?

I got to thinking, as I unfortunately do from time to time, and I'm going to try to find an easy solution for the stalling problem that many V8 Vantages have had.

Existing solutions range from replacing some hoses and valves in the gas tank to replacing the whole gas tank itself. So I'm going to try to find a simple, elegant solution to mitigate the problem. To be clear, I am not going to solve the problem - that is a design flaw within the gas tank. What I'm looking at doing is creating a simple, elegant way (similar to the catch can kit I designed) to stop the engine from stalling due to gas being sucked up by the vapor line.

I'm going to start testing soon, maybe as early as Friday.

So my question is, who has had this problem and would be interested in a solution for it? It will be along the same vein as my catch can kit - as non-invasive as possible, 100% reversible if possible, and you may have to be slightly proactive with maintenance (like occasionally emptying oil from your catch can).

Old 08-27-2014, 12:38 PM
N91K is on a distinguished road
Can you please explain more about the problem you've faced? because i might have that problem, i just want to make sure we're on the same page!

Old 08-27-2014, 12:53 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Basically, fuel gets sucked up by a vapor return line from the fuel tank and dumped into the engine. Apparently it was quietly remedied at some point in production but the first couple years have the problem.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:04 PM
And the car suddenly turns off right? I've had this problem come and go over the years, i tried to ignore the problem but a couple of times it happens in the wrong moments like in traffic etc.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:22 PM
Yep that's the problem!

Old 08-27-2014, 01:28 PM
Yeah then i do have that, i never knew it was a common problem i thought the problem might be coming from always driving my car "hard" and having fun. I would love to find an easy solution, great thread/idea thanks in advance!

Old 08-27-2014, 04:42 PM
Well I may have gotten excited a little prematurely...

Aston used hard plastic tubes for the entire fuel system, which cannot be messed with without destroying them. The ONE exception is a small hose tucked between the gas tank, exhaust, and suspension, which I can't even get to without lifting the car up and squirming around the all those components.

So it is probably easiest to have a certified AM tech get into the gas tank and change out the problematic parts with new ones.

Old 08-27-2014, 05:11 PM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by telum01

Aston used hard plastic tubes for the entire fuel system, which cannot be messed with without destroying them. The ONE exception is a small hose tucked between the gas tank, exhaust, and suspension, which I can't even get to without lifting the car up and squirming around the all those components.

So it is probably easiest to have a certified AM tech get into the gas tank and change out the problematic parts with new ones.
I have had this problem once so far. I was coming up to a stoplight in second gear in the car just stalled, Right after I came to a stop and restart it easy.
Ron

Old 08-28-2014, 04:09 AM

I still appreciate your effort, thanks again!

Old 08-28-2014, 07:54 AM
I'll keep mulling it over, but I was really hoping there'd be some rubber hose SOMEWHERE that I could tap into for testing and then installing a potential solution. I could put something together that would require the hard plastic lines be cut, but then they'd have to be replaced entirely if returning to stock, and testing would be horrible because I'd probably go through a few of those plastic lines before coming up with something I like. And the way those plastic lines are routed makes them very difficult to replace.

Old 08-29-2014, 03:50 AM
petop is on a distinguished road
Im a bi of a interloper from Pistonheads Aston Martin forum and saw this post. I have a 4.7 09 Vantage and had the same issues as described....turning right, heavy acceleration from start and the engine suddenly cuts out then restarts in a sec. Luckily i had only just bought the car from Aston Martin Works and as i work away for long periods of time, 3 weeks after i bought it i let AM take it away back 19th May this year. They have had the car since then and my partner will get the car back in the next few weeks. They looked at the fuel lines sceneraio, ECU etc etc and although they said there could be a problem without mimicking it then cannot definitely say its now been repaired. In the process of replicating the problem, they did say they have now changed all 4 tyres for me!! To be fair i dont have a drama with what they have done, it actually went back to them to get the TPMS sorted which is a known problem so when i return in Oct ill see if the stalling problem happens again.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:17 AM
Hi petop, and welcome aboard I've seen a few ways the problem is solved - one is by getting into the petrol tank and changing out the troublesome bits, which is very difficult to do because you have to do it one-handed. Those parts in the newer petrol tanks were, from what I've heard, quietly updated to fix the problem. So another solution is to replace the petrol tank with a new one, which is really expensive to do. There's also an updated fuel map for the ECU, which I'm assuming is taking into account the extra surge of fuel that gets sucked up by the vapor recirc line, to prevent the engine from stalling. I've had the ECU update done and it does help. I'm not sure what route Works went on your car, but those are the three methods I've heard of (there may be others as well).

I was hoping to find an easy way to mitigate the problem but the hard plastic tubes Aston Martin use for the fuel system makes it unlikely.

Old 09-01-2014, 01:00 AM
Jeremyosj is on a distinguished road

Fuel system fittings

I have use some plastic fittings which work with oem fuel systems. Basically it helps you install filters inline with the original fuel system.

Is this what you need?

Old 09-01-2014, 08:52 AM
Originally Posted by Jeremyosj
I have use some plastic fittings which work with oem fuel systems. Basically it helps you install filters inline with the original fuel system.

Is this what you need?
It's what I would get but the key to what I want to do is that nothing gets modified. An original part gets removed without being damaged or altered, and a new kit gets installed in its place.

The obstacle I ran into is that it doesn't look like anything is easily removable.

Old 09-04-2014, 09:45 AM
Jeremyosj is on a distinguished road
It's what I would get but the key to what I want to do is that nothing gets modified. An original part gets removed without being damaged or altered, and a new kit gets installed in its place.

The obstacle I ran into is that it doesn't look like anything is easily removable.

I will have a look at my car when I get back from my travels.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Having a stalling problem with your V8V?