Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Track Days in Your Aston

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 06:15 PM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Korntera
You want to see tough, look at Pacific Raceways, lots of walls and a big bump on the front straight that is known to flip cars. This is in my Lotus Elise track setup car with slicks, notice the G's sustaining at 1.3
Jeez - no room for error there!

Old 10-16-2015, 07:23 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by papigko
I got a set of EBC yellowstuff pads for my Evora on a recommendation from the parts guy from BRG. I was actually quite impressed with the Pad it had good consistent braking without any fade. This was on a very brake intensive track which had hard braking from 100+mph every 25 seconds.
The pad also performed well on the trip to and back from the track and actually had a fairly low dust level. EBC also claims they are "rotor friendly"
Funny enough, I have Yellowstuffs on my 4Runner. I actually like them quite a bit, but I have to pay attention when driving. It's very easy for the brakes to overpower the tires (aggressive pads and slotted rotors vs AT tires, no wonder it's easy!), but I love the initial bite - it's nuts. I haven't checked pad levels or rotor wear since putting them on, but I'll add that to my list of things to do.

All taken with a grain of salt... it's a very different type of vehicle and very different driving style.

Old 10-16-2015, 12:06 PM
cret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by telum01
I didn't gloss over this, sorry for the delay, trying to get you an answer.

I don't have anything about them in the paperwork that came with the car, other than a dealership invoice mentioning that they're aftermarket pads.
I checked the pads themselves but they don't (or no longer) have any markings on them.
I called the original owner and he can't remember, but he's calling Hershel at RSC to see if he remembers. Apparently my car was used for a bunch of RSC's development work on the V8V.
Thanks for looking into it. I've heard vendors able to applying new materials to the existing backing plates. But no one seems to know the actual compound being used or which company is behind the scene.

Originally Posted by bluebarchetta
Road America is one of my favorite tracks. Who were you there with? I could have been tempted. Never had the Aston out there, but my S2000 is a blast on that track. Got it into the 2:41's on street tires
With my limited exposure in the Midwest, Road America is definitely my favorite. The 10/3 & 10/4 weekend event was hosted by MVP. The highlight was a 918 topped 180+ on the main straight in the advanced group.

2:41's is wicked fast! What brake pads were you using? Any other mods?

Here's the breakdown of some info on both V8Vs and their personal best running in the intermediate group:
2007 V8V AM Powerpack, 200 cell cats, 5 spoke sports wheels on PSS and R4-S pads @ 2:45.5
2007 V8V 200 cell cats, performance air filters, 7 spoke wheels on RE-11 and R4 pads @ 2:45.96 (R4-S pads @ 2:46.89)

Old 10-16-2015, 07:26 PM
bluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by cret

With my limited exposure in the Midwest, Road America is definitely my favorite. The 10/3 & 10/4 weekend event was hosted by MVP. The highlight was a 918 topped 180+ on the main straight in the advanced group.

2:41's is wicked fast! What brake pads were you using? Any other mods?

Here's the breakdown of some info on both V8Vs and their personal best running in the intermediate group:
2007 V8V AM Powerpack, 200 cell cats, 5 spoke sports wheels on PSS and R4-S pads @ 2:45.5
2007 V8V 200 cell cats, performance air filters, 7 spoke wheels on RE-11 and R4 pads @ 2:45.96 (R4-S pads @ 2:46.89)
Sadly, 2:41 is about 5 seconds off the class track record. 3 of those could be accounted for with better tires, 2 seconds will need to come from better driver skill 😊
My S2000 is basically a race car, with cage, seats and belts. Otherwise it's more stock than you'd think. I have stiffer springs, slightly better dampners, wing and splitter. It does have stock sway bars, stock rotors and calipers. The car weighs 2800 lbs, however it is de-tuned and currently makes 205 whp.

I have race brake pads by Cobalt. Specifically, XR2 in front and XR4 in rear. Not sure if they make a fitment for our Aston. Also, importantly, I have high temp race brake fluid.

I've always been a fan of PFC brake pads (use on a separate race car, and on my friends porsche). Wonder if they make some of their better compounds in Aston spec. Or maybe look at Pagid.

Old 10-17-2015, 03:51 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Very smart move upgrading to the Castrol SRF and 2-piece rotors, that make a huge difference. We mandate Castrol SRF at all our track days at COTA by force. Dry boiling point is irrelevant, it's wet boiling point that is the true measure of the quality of a brake fluid. Castrol SRF is king... There is a reason Formula ran it for almost 10 years exclusively until Endless750 replace it (which CANNOT be used in a street car, it will eat your system alive in short time. It's only designed for brake systems that are constantly being rebuilt, like an F1 car)

Also, the tune does make a huge difference in the way the car feels. It's only 400rpm increase but it feels like a 1000rpm. That last 400rpm is a while 'nother world

Last edited by 007 Vantage; 10-17-2015 at 03:54 PM.
Old 11-11-2015, 04:22 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Still no answer on the brake pads! The one guy that might still remember seems to have dropped off the radar. If he resurfaces, I'll see about getting an answer. If spring rolls around before he does, I'll try out the Porterfield R4 pads (the track version of the R4-S pads).

I took a look at this vent that was spraying oil:

Name:  20151012_141922.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  126.8 KB

Everything looked fine, but it was definitely loose. I tried tightening it and ended up braking the little tab that 'seats' in a divot on the valve cover. It came off of the flat section right here:

Name:  20151111_135630.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  235.8 KB

But I took a quick pic to note the part number and it'll only take two minutes to replace whenever I order a new one.

Name:  20151111_135847.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  254.7 KB

Old 12-24-2015, 09:33 PM
pfbz is a jewel in the roughpfbz is a jewel in the roughpfbz is a jewel in the rough
Bump for a highly informative thread...

Question: Does the V8V have quick-change pads? (change the pads without removing or pivoting calipers?)

Old 12-25-2015, 09:25 AM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
Yes they are Brembo's

Old 12-25-2015, 09:47 AM
Originally Posted by pfbz
Bump for a highly informative thread...

Question: Does the V8V have quick-change pads? (change the pads without removing or pivoting calipers?)
Very easy to do, I made a video of it. YouTube my screen name or search the forum for it. Can't remember which thread I posted it in. My first ever video so go easy on me lol

Last edited by telum01; 01-20-2016 at 02:39 PM.
Old 03-07-2016, 11:02 AM
To tie up a lose end:

I never got an answer on the brake pads, and doubt I will. The closest I could come is that they were StopTech pads. At the time, I think that company was selling Axxis pads. But looking at current offerings from both companies, neither seems to match up with the ones I had. StopTech no longer seems to be affiliated with Axxis, and it's possible that they've both changed their designs over the years.

I'm going to begin testing new options that can do double duty on street and track. I'll be willing to accept dust as a trade-off so long as they're noise-free on the street, and don't require unreasonable warm up before they can bite. Finding that balance is tricky...

Also, Aston does NOT use Castrol React SRF Racing brake fluid. They use Castrol React Performance brake fluid. The spec comparison is basically:
Castrol React Performance -> Motul RBF600 -> Castrol React SRF Racing

Old 03-07-2016, 01:39 PM
AXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to behold
Thanks for the update telum01. I'm going to track my car in May and again in June so i'll keep you posted.

Old 03-08-2016, 06:15 AM
mkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud of
No one has asked this so I will:

Will you, or will you not, let your gf track your car?

Old 03-08-2016, 06:48 AM
Originally Posted by mkzhang
No one has asked this so I will:

Will you, or will you not, let your gf track your car?

lol nah, if she wants to get into it, i'd start her off with an autocross or two in her own car and go from there.

Old 03-15-2016, 12:05 AM
Sirdaft1 has much to be proud ofSirdaft1 has much to be proud ofSirdaft1 has much to be proud ofSirdaft1 has much to be proud ofSirdaft1 has much to be proud ofSirdaft1 has much to be proud ofSirdaft1 has much to be proud ofSirdaft1 has much to be proud of
Do any of you track in the Midwest? Road America, Gingerman, Autobahn, Blackhawk, etc?

Old 03-15-2016, 05:42 AM
bluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Sirdaft1
Do any of you track in the Midwest? Road America, Gingerman, Autobahn, Blackhawk, etc?
I do, just not with my Aston. I'll be at Mid Ohio, Road America, Gingerman, PittRace, Watkins Glen, among others this year. Normally with NASA, some with Chumpcar, some with PCA

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Track Days in Your Aston