Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Brit Pack Straddles Pond

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 02:53 PM
Banned
Mike bamford rose will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by karlfranz
...and there goes that beautiful Aston exhaust sound...
indeed, we have learnt owners are very protective of it. With the exception of 1 project, all owners wanted the burble to go deeper, more bass, be baritone not tenor and have manners of around 95db at peak

Old 10-02-2014, 03:05 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Bleen
Beautiful...

I wonder, why do this instead of adding a turbo or two?
we deliver bespoke projects, if a client wanted pressure charged we would deliver but only whilst adhering to our brand values which would mean a big budget. Engineering pros and cons aside, the main reason is we prefer a naturally aspirated screamer motor power delivery, general driveability and refinement versus same power output pressure charged motor. But just because this is our preference, doesn't mean is definitive answer but does bias what we offer as mainstream products

Old 10-02-2014, 03:37 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mike bamford rose
indeed, we have learnt owners are very protective of it. With the exception of 1 project, all owners wanted the burble to go deeper, more bass, be baritone not tenor and have manners of around 95db at peak
I got measured at 116 dB at an event in August

But I couldn't imagine my exhaust being any quieter (or louder) than it is. It's just perfect for my taste I think you're right about being protective of our exhaust notes. I've had my car for 3 years and my toes still curl when I lay into the throttle.

Last edited by telum01; 10-02-2014 at 03:40 PM.
Old 10-02-2014, 04:10 PM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Bleen
Beautiful...

I wonder, why do this instead of adding a turbo or two?
I've significant history converting to FI on previous cars
Having done a lot of research I came to the conclusion no one out there knows the Aston V8 better than BR and none of the FI guys could convince me they understood it's design enough to go FI reliably
Hence why I now have the BR 5.0 GT4 engine which is now going through its second phase of upgrades and will end up more powerful and smoother than the current factory V12's (including the Vanquish!)

Last edited by mikey k; 10-02-2014 at 04:13 PM.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:11 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
At what point does the higher HP become simply bragging rights, Mikey? For me, It's already there. One of the things I've noticed about my new car is that it takes even less time to get to ultra-legal speeds. Sure the thrill may be bigger, but it lasts a shorter amount of time. There's something to be said for savoring the moment. I won't be taking my car to the track and I'm not in it to beat the guy next to me to the next traffic light So sometimes I wonder if I'm not the best candidate for a power upgrade other than to boast to my fellow owners.

Old 10-03-2014, 02:54 AM
Banned
At what point does the higher HP become simply bragging rights, Mikey? For me, It's already there. One of the things I've noticed about my new car is that it takes even less time to get to ultra-legal speeds. Sure the thrill may be bigger, but it lasts a shorter amount of time. There's something to be said for savoring the moment. I won't be taking my car to the track and I'm not in it to beat the guy next to me to the next traffic light So sometimes I wonder if I'm not the best candidate for a power upgrade other than to boast to my fellow owners.
I'm sure Mikey will be on with his thoughts shortly.

My view if i may from sharing upgrade experience with clients is that it's not about permanently driving on the new peak horsepower figure, which yes, can be bragging rights / is done just for ****s and giggles, whereas equally in some cases the horsepower figure is needed by a very demanding driver which is reason why he upgraded.
For those that never rev the engine high enough to use the peak horsepower, lets say always keeping revs less than 4500 rpm, the revitalized urgency of the new engine / rate of change of engine speed at lower revs is where the 'moment is savored' because low speed drievability is just as wow factor as continually revving to the redline.
What else shouldn't be forgotten is that projects such as GT4 4.7L bring the older cars up to and exceeding dynamic capability of new level cars for much less than the trade-up spend, meaning that older cars can enjoy the freshness your car exhibits, which by the way, congrats on the new car, looks stunning! The 5.0L / 550BHP is also an alternative to new V12 Vantage S for less than the trade up spend and keeps an ASM box and the lighter V8 motor up front to give the ride and handling finesse only a V8 can from much less weight on the nose of the car.

Old 10-03-2014, 06:55 AM
rbobby is on a distinguished road
I feel the same way as Karl. I like to rev it to the max whenever possible and enjoy the moment. Car is fast enough and most of the time I have to slow down as soon as I hit 3rd gear. Trouble is the pauses in these gear changes that I feels takes away from the moment. It would be nice to have a continuous roar all the way up.

Old 10-03-2014, 07:31 AM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
I like the wheels on the first car. What brand are they?

Old 10-03-2014, 07:41 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Original post says custom HREs but doesn't give any specs or model

Old 10-03-2014, 08:26 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by rbobby
I feel the same way as Karl. I like to rev it to the max whenever possible and enjoy the moment. Car is fast enough and most of the time I have to slow down as soon as I hit 3rd gear. Trouble is the pauses in these gear changes that I feels takes away from the moment. It would be nice to have a continuous roar all the way up.
you are right and i'm happy for you revving to the redline hits your spot. The desire to increase power is indeed not for everybody, its just an option. Have as many project requests to address brakes and suspension only as we do engine power increase projects. In those cases we normally manage to sneak in a cat and ecu remap in for good measure, at least there will be a sound increase which can be made tame by permanent quiet mode if not needed. Equally as in your case, nothing whatsoever other than clutch, flywheel and tcu remap is needed to make the perfect car, we see a few projects like those with sub 1k miles on / a few months old because owner from the get go is let down by trans system.

Old 10-03-2014, 10:13 AM
Bleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of light
Same as rbobby and Karl, I feel the hp on my 4.7l is perfectly adequate. Hell, I drive a Fiat 500e daily and it's ~100 hp are fun as heck (at least until 40 mph), which is perfect in traffic.
With the Vantage, it's a hoot to drive in the mountains just because of the power surge, but sometimes I do feel like it gets to triple figures too soon.
On that vein, I'd rather have a lighter car with less hp.

Which makes me wonder, do you guys have any "weight loss" plans for the Vantage?

Old 10-03-2014, 10:49 AM
Former Vendor
HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 007 Vantage
I like the wheels on the first car. What brand are they?
Originally Posted by telum01
Original post says custom HREs but doesn't give any specs or model
P43 in Brushed Tinted Clear.

Old 10-03-2014, 12:39 PM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
Good question!
As Mike says peak BHP is for bragging rights (its fun though!) I was actually more interested in low end torque.

Back in the real world with a std 4.7 ASM2 I often found myself hitting the rev limiter mid overtake and found the progression up the revs and through the gears laboured.
When we agreed the scope of the project at BR the remit was a Jekyll & Hyde car. At lazy, torquey roof up cross continent GT which at the press of the Sport button turned in to fire breathing monster that chews up B roads and spits them out. On his inaugral trip Johnny did 950 miles in just under 12 hours and we got out fresh as a daisy. Next day we blasted 250 miles round the French Alps in Sport mode making some excellent noises.
The GT4 engine just blips on the throttle and revs out fantastically
The light weight clutch and the reworked ASM2 box make gear changes seamless.
So a massive difference on overtakes and in gear acceleration
I biased but I've recently driven 3 AM V12's (manual V12V roadster, V12VS ASM3 and new Vanquish) and V1.0 Johnny 550 just made them all feel slow and cumbersome
What V1.1 is going to be like who knows!
Then there is V1.2 with the twin electronic throttles

Old 10-03-2014, 01:00 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Hmm. Mickey, what speeds were you going at exactly? 950 miles in under 12 hours means an average speed of 80 mph! Not counting for traffic or fuel stops, etc. that means you must've been traveling at hypersonic speeds.

Old 10-03-2014, 01:04 PM
Hmm. Mickey, what speeds were you going at exactly? 950 miles in under 12 hours means an average speed of 80 mph! Not counting for traffic or fuel stops, etc. that means you must've been traveling at hypersonic speeds.
*Driving performed on a closed course in Mexico with a professional driver, do not attempt at home.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Brit Pack Straddles Pond