Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

1700 miles and I get the Emission Service light....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 03:37 PM
terminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to behold
Darn, my tester arrived but it was incompatible with the Aston. It ran through all the preliminaries then issued a communication error. The unit is fine because I tired it on the Audi and it read with no problem.

Can someone recommend a OBDII tester that will work with our cars?

Old 10-08-2014, 04:09 PM
DonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by terminal_ac
Darn, my tester arrived but it was incompatible with the Aston. It ran through all the preliminaries then issued a communication error. The unit is fine because I tired it on the Audi and it read with no problem.

Can someone recommend a OBDII tester that will work with our cars?
Earlier cars have two ports-one for the OBD and one for the body electronics-they both use the same plug configuration.
See posts 22 through 27 as far as location and explanation:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...et-help-2.html

Is it possible you may have selected the wrong port?

In any event, there is a scanner discussion on that post as well-it's possible that the information is outdated for newer vehicles-what model year is your car?

Last edited by DonL; 10-08-2014 at 04:18 PM. Reason: corrected post reference
Old 10-08-2014, 04:21 PM
terminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by DonL
Earlier cars have two ports-one for the OBD and one for the body electronics-they both use the same plug configuration.
See posts 22 through 27 as far as location and explanation:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...et-help-2.html

Is it possible you may have selected the wrong port?

In any event, there is a scanner discussion on that post as well-it's possible that the information is outdated for newer vehicles-what model year is your car?
No. Unless, I was experiences complete idiot syndrome, I believe I selected the correct port. There's only one port on my car (2015). I checked in both places (driver side and passenger side).

The Standard requires location of the port within three feet of the center of the driver's position (i.e, steering shaft).

Old 10-08-2014, 07:50 PM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Drivers side near the door is the correct port...there is still another one on the passenger side just near the center console..

How many times have you had this stalling issue, was it always on the same day, always after filling fuel . Stupid question but important, when filling fuel do you stop at the first click and squeeze some extra fuel in?

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9
Office: (1)250-485-5126
Email: Tuning@VelocityAP.com

www.velocityap.com

Old 10-08-2014, 08:51 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
I have an Autel AL619 scanner. I just plugged it into the OBD-II port on my car for the first time tonite to check for you and it immediately started working and collecting data with no setup necessary. The port is nearest the driver door as Irish described.

Old 10-09-2014, 07:38 AM
Originally Posted by karlfranz
I have an Autel AL619 scanner. I just plugged it into the OBD-II port on my car for the first time tonite to check for you and it immediately started working and collecting data with no setup necessary. The port is nearest the driver door as Irish described.
I checked again last night. My car only has one port on the passenger side. On my car, the space at which the port is normally placed is blank! Only a well light is in this location. On the passenger side, there is a well light and a port.

It's like one big joke!!!

@irish07, the car has stalled 3 times. On the first occasion, I cannot attempt to make a causal connect. On the last two, however, they happened relatively close to each other. Here, I filled up, topping off, etc. My topping off did include adding more gas after the click indicating the car was full.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:12 AM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
I'm not sure I understood your message. To clarify, the OBD-II port for drivetrain diagnostics is on the driver side about 8-10 inches to the left of the steering column so it is pretty close to the driver's door and near your left knee. The passenger side has a similar connector but it is for chassis diagnostics which includes the SRS airbag diagnostics. If you plug into this connector by mistake and your scanner does not support SRS or ABS then it will power up but you will get a communication failure. Older cars had both ports side by side.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:22 AM
I'm not sure I understood your message. To clarify, the OBD-II port for drivetrain diagnostics is on the driver side about 8-10 inches to the left of the steering column so it is pretty close to the driver's door and near your left knee. The passenger side has a similar connector but it is for chassis diagnostics which includes the SRS airbag diagnostics. If you plug into this connector by mistake and your scanner does not support SRS or ABS then it will power up but you will get a communication failure. Older cars had both ports side by side.
I'm saying that I looked for a second port on the driver's side and I couldn't find one. I'll take a picture of my car later this evening. The only port I could find was on the passenger side.

What's more, this should not involve a treasure hunt since the Standard mandates the location of the port.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:46 AM
It is not a treasure hunt. Your port is there. I guarantee it. There is no way the car can make it through the build process without it since it is needed to hookup the AMDS software to initialize the ECU. The port you plugged into on the passenger side is the wrong one. Ignore the link to that other thread that Don included earlier. The picture that I posted on that thread was for the port location on older cars. Here is a picture of where the port is on your car (blue arrow). It is very close the lower edge of the leather trim so it is very accessible. I believe it is light grey in color and does not have a cover.

Old 10-09-2014, 09:07 AM
It is not a treasure hunt. Your port is there. I guarantee it. There is no way the car can make it through the build process without it since it is needed to hookup the AMDS software to initialize the ECU. The port you plugged into on the passenger side is the wrong one. Ignore the link to that other thread that Don included earlier. The picture that I posted on that thread was for the port location on older cars. Here is a picture of where the port is on your car (blue arrow). It is very close the lower edge of the leather trim so it is very accessible. I believe it is light grey in color and does not have a cover.
Thank you for your persistence. I "snaked" myself into position under the dash on two separate occassions to look for the port, i.e., I put my head up there! Let's not even talk about the physical trauma to my body to find this darn port.

Anyhoo, I fully agree with you as to where the port SHOULD be located. At the position you've highlighted, however, in my car there is an empty hole there, i.e, the same positon in the older cars that show the 2 ports side-by-side. It's clear they relocated the port, but the question for me is where!

Old 10-09-2014, 09:32 AM
I'll see if I can take a picture of my car for you when I get home tonite. But, just to be clear, the older cars had the ports side by side but they were located on the right side of the steering column (side nearest center of car) whereas the newer cars have it on the left side of the steering column (side nearest door). Cheers

Old 10-09-2014, 09:44 AM
I'll see if I can take a picture of my car for you when I get home tonite. But, just to be clear, the older cars had the ports side by side but they were located on the right side of the steering column (side nearest center of car) whereas the newer cars have it on the left side of the steering column (side nearest door). Cheers
Understood. I'll also post a picture of mine later this even when I get home.

Old 10-09-2014, 04:13 PM
OK, here are some pictures from my car which hopefully this will clear things up:

Cars before 2007.5
Location "A": Nothing
Location "B": OBD-II and Chassis Diagnostics ports side-by-side
Location "C": Nothing

Cars after 2007.5 but before 2013
Location "B": OBD-II Port and blank space
Location "C": Chassis Diagnostics port

Cars after 2013
Location "A": OBD-II Port
Location "B": Blank space and footwell lamp
Location "C": Chassis Diagnostics port and footwell lamp

OBD-II Port (Left side of driver near fuel and bonnet release) Location "A"

Location of OBD-II and Chassis Diagnostics port on older cars, now occupied by a footwell lamp and blank space on newer cars. Location "B"

Chassis Diagnostics port and footwell lamp of new cars. Location "C"

Note: Right hand drive cars have the port location reversed (left is right and right is left) so that the OBD-II port is always nearest the driver.

Old 10-09-2014, 05:05 PM
OK, here are some pictures from my car which hopefully this will clear things up:

Cars before 2007.5
Location "B": OBD-II and Chassis Diagnostics ports side-by-side
Location "C": Nothing

Cars after 2007.5 but before 2013
Location "B": OBD-II Port and blank space
Location "C": Chassis Diagnostics port

Cars after 2013
Location "A": OBD-II Port
Location "B": Blank space and footwell lamp
Location "C": Chassis Diagnostics port and footwell lamp

OBD-II Port (Left side of driver near fuel and bonnet release) Location "A"

Location of OBD-II and Chassis Diagnostics port on older cars, now occupied by a footwell lamp and blank space on newer cars. Location "B"

Chassis Diagnostics port and footwell lamp of new cars. Location "C"

Note: Right hand drive cars have the port location reversed (left is right and right is left) so that the OBD-II port is always nearest the driver.
Incredible. Bless you for your diligence. I'm actually on my way home. I'll check my car when I get home.

Old 10-09-2014, 07:45 PM
Praise the Lord, I've found it. I was so far up under that dash, I was never going to find it!

I've read the codes and there are two listed:

P2104
P2111

I wrote them down, and cleared them. We'll see if they come back. I have an appointment scheduled to have it looked at. If they don't come back, no problem.

Last edited by terminal_ac; 10-09-2014 at 07:57 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 1700 miles and I get the Emission Service light....