Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

clutch aftermarket or standard

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 10:55 AM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
clutch aftermarket or standard

Hi guys I need to replace my clutch, 6 speed manual v8 ..do I have it stripped and the standard one replaced or do i go with a good aftermarket set up from bamford rose or Stuart? read good reports on both Stuart and Mikes product.
The car is out of warranty and not really a daily driver, but I do get into thick traffic periodically, and I drive like I stole it all the time,,,, like a binary throttle on or off with no in between church sessions.

I am thinking of getting my own mechanic to do the job, but he says he does not want surprises with goods that do not fit and would prefer to install OEM.

My clutch is starting to slip when I wind it into third and giving it carrots...honest advise appreciated.

Regards

Greg

Old 11-24-2014, 05:18 PM
akshon is on a distinguished road
I'm in a similar situation as you however my car is a sport shift.

I am leaning towards getting the uprated twin plate clutch and light flywheel because it seems to bring faster smoother shifts and longevity for the ss. However the price is double oem and in your case I am not sure if the benefits would be as noticeable. I think the ss is the worst part of the car so thinking its worth a try. My ss has lasted me 28k and has stopped hypershifting and slipping a bit at lower loads.

I would stick with the oe clutch on your 6 speed and get headers with the savings. It would save on labor to do headers same time as clutch as at least one header needs to come out i believe.

Old 11-24-2014, 05:22 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by akshon
I would stick with the oe clutch on your 6 speed and get headers with the savings. It would save on labor to do headers same time as clutch as at least one header needs to come out i believe.
An upgraded clutch should last longer than the OEM, so over the long run you can make back any additional parts cost by saving on labor.

Old 11-25-2014, 09:13 AM
terminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to behold
In my humble opinion, it's a no brainer to place an upgraded clutch in the car. Why would you not do so? I don't understand.

Last edited by terminal_ac; 11-25-2014 at 09:41 AM.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:18 AM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by terminal_ac
In my humble opinion, it's a no brainer to place an upgraded clutch in the car. Why would you not do so? I don't understand.
agree terminal-ac however aston martin Cape town only want to fit OEM parts they get from I presume AM UK? with them not prepared to fit a part they dont supply.

I have had mail from Stuart and he makes great sense and another forum member who PM'd me agree Stuart stuff is the dogs bollocks...now to convince my mechanic he can do this job without a lift is my next hurdle, I did speak to AM Cape town and they will not attend to my request to fit a client supplied part - go figure?

Im also waiting to confirm my clutch is on its way south then i will spend the rest of it and the rest of the rear tyres on a weekend bit of fun no point in tacking out a part that could have given me and the general public a smile (im talking wheel smoking at robots)

Old 11-25-2014, 10:23 AM
bluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of light
I see the opportunity for a "how to use the remainder of your clutch" you tube video

Old 11-25-2014, 10:27 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bluebarchetta
I see the opportunity for a "how to use the remainder of your clutch" you tube video
The last guy that did that (but with his tires) messed up his power steering - might want to be careful!

Old 11-25-2014, 11:26 AM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bluebarchetta

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
Office: (1)250-485-5126
www.velocityap.com
Old 11-25-2014, 11:48 AM
dicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by captain Greg
agree terminal-ac however aston martin Cape town only want to fit OEM parts they get from I presume AM UK? with them not prepared to fit a part they dont supply.

Im also waiting to confirm my clutch is on its way south then i will spend the rest of it and the rest of the rear tyres on a weekend bit of fun no point in tacking out a part that could have given me and the general public a smile (im talking wheel smoking at robots)
Here's one guys experience: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-not-good.html

Old 11-25-2014, 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by dicktahoe
Thanks for finding that - it's what I was referring to but couldn't for the life of me remember who it was!

Old 11-25-2014, 03:11 PM
XWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by captain Greg
Hi guys I need to replace my clutch, 6 speed manual v8 ..do I have it stripped and the standard one replaced or do i go with a good aftermarket set up from bamford rose or Stuart? read good reports on both Stuart and Mikes product.
The car is out of warranty and not really a daily driver, but I do get into thick traffic periodically, and I drive like I stole it all the time,,,, like a binary throttle on or off with no in between church sessions.

I am thinking of getting my own mechanic to do the job, but he says he does not want surprises with goods that do not fit and would prefer to install OEM.

My clutch is starting to slip when I wind it into third and giving it carrots...honest advise appreciated.

Regards

Greg
im always curious as to how clutches can lose pressure plate tension or wear out. did you always drive in traffic with your foot depressed? launches with higher rpm, letting RPM come down upon release? actually, a clutch if used right should last almost as long as the engine. at least 100k miles. premature can be as fast as that guy in the vet, that dumped the clutch, held the brakes, got the clutch to break free and then exploited it with the High rpm revs to finish it off. (all trying to do a burn out.)

Old 11-25-2014, 05:09 PM
jroback is on a distinguished road
Since I will likely have to replace the clutch on my V8V in the next couple years, I'm curious what aftermarket options are available in US?

Old 11-26-2014, 01:47 AM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jroback
Since I will likely have to replace the clutch on my V8V in the next couple years, I'm curious what aftermarket options are available in US?
We can supply:

- Lightweight 1-piece Flywheel with smaller diameter Twin Plate Sintered Material (recommended for race use only)
- Lightweight 1-piece Flywheel with Twin Plate Sintered Material
- Lightweight 1-piece Flywheel with Twin Plate Organic Material
- Uprated Friction Plate

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
www.velocityap.com
Old 11-26-2014, 07:59 AM
jcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to behold
doesn't lightweight flywheel make the car more prone to stalls because rpm drops suddenly?

Old 11-26-2014, 08:39 AM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by jcpca356
doesn't lightweight flywheel make the car more prone to stalls because rpm drops suddenly?
It is theoretically possible but I haven't had anyone experience stalling problems as a result of fitting a lightweight flywheel.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
www.velocityap.com

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: clutch aftermarket or standard