Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Chris Harris review of the AMG-GT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 11:26 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Chris Harris review of the AMG-GT

Something of a preview of things to come for us...

Old 12-04-2014, 11:32 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
I'm glad to hear all the positives about the drivetrain - ESPECIALLY THE TRANSMISSION, ASTON MARTIN.

I'm not impressed with the exhaust note at all.

The styling, inside and out, is pretty much garbage. Really reinforces the beauty and timelessness of our cars.

Old 12-04-2014, 11:46 AM
midwestamv8 has much to be proud ofmidwestamv8 has much to be proud ofmidwestamv8 has much to be proud ofmidwestamv8 has much to be proud ofmidwestamv8 has much to be proud ofmidwestamv8 has much to be proud ofmidwestamv8 has much to be proud ofmidwestamv8 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by telum01
I'm glad to hear all the positives about the drivetrain - ESPECIALLY THE TRANSMISSION, ASTON MARTIN.

I'm not impressed with the exhaust note at all.

The styling, inside and out, is pretty much garbage. Really reinforces the beauty and timelessness of our cars.
I'm with you 100%. It's like the shape of the car doesn't fit with the Mercedes image at all... or really fit with ANY shape at all. It seems oddly disproportionate and misplaced. The front doesn't look like it belonds on the car at all, and the roof line doesn't flow with the design of any other part of the car. And as you said, the engine note is typical AMG trailer trash. The ONLY AMG I like the sound of is the SLS, and I think more so because it's just absurdly mean, loud, and deep (and, it's an SLS!). I test drove the CLA45 AMG and the exhaust droned something terrible in the car on the highway. The pops and gurgles between shifts on the dual-clutch were fun, but it wasn't inspiring in any way. It just felt like it was louder to be louder.

The V8V on the other hand has a refined volume to it. It can be so quiet when leisurely driving and yet so ripping loud when you get on it. Not only that, but the sound doesn't sound engineered. It doesn't sound to high-pitched like an Italian car or too deep like a muscle car. I have a feeling the chaps at AMG literally sit around all day and design exhaust systems so that they sound like the bathroom after the morning coffee.

Old 12-04-2014, 12:10 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
I love the shape and the car... Putting a deposit down on Monday

Will be my new track toy once it arrives in 2016 (list is already ridiculously long)

Old 12-04-2014, 07:46 PM
Bleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of light
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

For whatever it's worth, I think it's the best looking Mercedes since the SLR, but then again most people hate that car, so that's that.

I wouldn't mind a convertible AMG GT at all

Old 12-04-2014, 09:28 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
They say they won't do a convertible because they do not want to steal sales from the flagship SL models

Old 12-05-2014, 08:56 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
the car is a vast improvement in performance over SLS. it is more agile and lighter.

at the estimated $150k mark, i would still get a GT3. i don't think the gt is comparable to the turbo which is more costly and performs better.

more car are entering into the sub exotic, luxury, high performance market of 911. Ftype, R8 and now GT. So far, none has posed a real threat other than the Carerra models.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:00 AM
cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !
omg that thing is sex,

Old 12-05-2014, 04:59 PM
$130k is going to be MSRP for the GTS, $110k for the GT (according to the best sources as of right now). Final numbers not released yet. $150k is a full optioned out car. Even so, it's still a steal compared to a much older SLS, especially considering with a tune it will probably destroy an SLS

Old 12-06-2014, 09:33 AM
der Fahrer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 007 Vantage
I love the shape and the car... Putting a deposit down on Monday

Will be my new track toy once it arrives in 2016 (list is already ridiculously long)
I've heard the waiting list is extraordinarily long for this car. I'm curious if you're able to secure a slot without any issue. Let us know how it goes.

Old 12-06-2014, 10:00 AM
AXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to behold
I just can't get excited about this car for the only reason that it doesn't offer a third pedal... I had the use of a Porsche Turbo Carrera S over the Thanksgiving holiday and just couldn't warm to it. Yes, it was the fastest car I've ever driven. Yes the car shifted way faster than I ever could. But I really like to be more involved in my driving experience. I would never swap my 2013 Vantage S for this 2015 Turbo S.
I'm now on the hunt for this:

Old 12-06-2014, 07:12 PM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
An Alfa spider is a neat car, especially the early boat tail version. At one time I had a 1971 GTV 1750, 1974 2000 Spider, 1972 Alfa Montreal, and last but not least a 1991 164 S. All at the same time! The 164 was my DD. The Montreal was my dream car, and the GTV was my time trial car. Don't ask me how but now I have all British cars.
Ron

Old 12-06-2014, 08:12 PM
Originally Posted by der Fahrer
I've heard the waiting list is extraordinarily long for this car. I'm curious if you're able to secure a slot without any issue. Let us know how it goes.
Yes you can secure a spot, you just probably won't get the car until late 16 at this point

Old 12-07-2014, 06:48 AM
FatFrank has a spectacular aura aboutFatFrank has a spectacular aura about
Great write up. Bodes well for Aston if the next Vantage builds on this.

F

Old 12-07-2014, 07:47 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
The GT is an amalgam of the 911 at the back and MB at the front, resulting in an unattractive design. The SLR, SLS and now this all have cockpits that are way too rearward resulting in designs that can't hold a candle to the F type, never mind Astons. The last thing I ever want to see is stuff from MB underneath my Aston.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Chris Harris review of the AMG-GT