Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

XCAR Video: Aston Martin V12 Vantage S Roadster

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 02:06 PM
DonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant future
XCAR Video: Aston Martin V12 Vantage S Roadster

Another "driving on the wrong side of the road" video ...enjoy the sounds!

Old 02-06-2015, 03:39 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
*sigh* I need a V12 in my life.

Old 02-06-2015, 05:26 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
"Whether you go for the roadster or the convertible"?? Also, a V12VSR with the base wheels from a V8? I can only assume those are the winter wheels/tires.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:44 PM
kensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud of
Why is the clutch always a problem?

I watched the video, and this guy, like EVERY presenter in any Vantage, says the same thing to point out the big downside: The gearbox is cr*p.

The common complaint from all these highly experienced guys is that the car is slow changing up. And I'm curious to know why they all say this because I haven't driven whatever other brand uses the same clutch system so I could make a comparison.

Well, I thought I'd test my 2008 V8VR and see if they were right, that the change is slow.

So a few months back after buying it, and after my first week of getting used to my Sportshift around town and on some slow motorways, I decided to find a straight, deserted road and see what would happen when I floored it.

The result was a total surprise that no-one had prepared me for.

There were no slow changes like I'd been used to. I put my foot down and round 5-6000 I flipped the paddle and instantly - instantly - it changed up. No delays, no hesitation, just straight from one gear to a higher one in microseconds. There was a jerk, not a smooth transition, but the change was immediate.

The same with every other gear. The more rapidly I accelerated, the quicker the gearchange. Again not that smooth, but blindingly fast.

I tried to anticipate the change so I could lift my foot off in the same way I do a slow change at 3000rpm to smooth it out, but I was never quick enough. But it didn't matter because the speed and acceleration and all the wind and noise that was going on at the same time concealed the jump a little.

So what are all these test guys discovering that I'm missing? Should the change be smooth as silk like the DB9 - is that their criticism?

Or are they not making allowance for the manual clutch activated by paddles which requires a better understanding of how the box works?

I'm at a real loss to know why this complaint keeps raising its head on every test drive by qualified testers. It almost put me off buying the Vantage at first, but I'm glad I didn't take too much notice.

Can someone suggest the 'perfect' other brand with this clutch system so I can see if there is something better, or am I missing something here?

Last edited by kensilver; 02-06-2015 at 09:46 PM.
Old 02-07-2015, 03:30 AM
N91K is on a distinguished road
Amazing!!

Old 02-07-2015, 04:20 AM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
Originally Posted by karlfranz
"Whether you go for the roadster or the convertible"?? Also, a V12VSR with the base wheels from a V8? I can only assume those are the winter wheels/tires.
Those are the winter option wheels

Old 02-07-2015, 08:39 AM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by kensilver
Can someone suggest the 'perfect' other brand with this clutch system so I can see if there is something better, or am I missing something here?
No, you're fine. The reviewers are missing the fact that it's a manual transmission and not a dual clutch or a torque converter auto. Slow is a relative thing: the shifts ARE slower than in a dual clutch or in an aggressively calibrated ZF 8 speed auto in manual mode (example, F-type).

I suspect the reviewers find it unacceptable to have to lift slightly on upshifts. That is, those who even bother trying. This does two things: it smooths out the shift, but it also prepares your body for the shift. If you are not prepared, the torque interruption can be disconcerting. If you have ever been in the passenger seat of a manual transmission car you will know what I am talking about - unless you are depressing the clutch yourself, you don't know when that slight pause will occur and it can be annoying, even in a smoothly driven car.

It's true, none of the above is necessary with dual clutch or slush box. But here's the rub: these same reviewers whine about the demise of the manual, which, when driven with the greatest of skill would still struggle to match SS3 for speed and smoothness of shifts. Of course, they will argue that a stick and a clutch pedal more than make up for that, tactility, interaction with the car, yada yada. Maybe they're right, maybe not; all I know is I still have my Lotus if I feel like doing everything myself...

Old 02-07-2015, 01:01 PM
kensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud of
...No, you're fine. The reviewers are missing the fact that it's a manual transmission and not a dual clutch or a torque converter auto....
---

My son, an exec with a big motor company and one of the best drivers I know, had difficulty making smooth changes in his first drive of my Vantage. And even after having had a Vanquish for over a year - it took me a week or so to get it right.

So we can't blame other drivers who jump in the driver's seat and expect PDK smoothness. Ah well, it's one of those things that set AM apart I guess.