Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Considering a Virage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 09:05 PM
hitest is on a distinguished road
Considering a Virage

Have become interested in owing an AM (never have before) and have been looking at a few 2012 Virages. Beautiful cars of course. I have read through the threads on the forum. As they are relatively so rare, I have a few questions to those in the "know" with these cars:

-anything to watch out for even with those with low miles?
-can the car be used as a daily driver?
-realizing anything mechanical can break - are the cars overall reliable? I live a couple of hours form a dealer/service center.
-I realize a car is worth what people are willing to pay for it. Having read of people some time back buying new ones for $70K off sticker when they had been sitting on dealer lots (putting them around $165K in 2012/early 2013, they seem to be currently listed in the $120's to 130's now which is drastically lower than original MSRP. But - what is reasonable real money to pay for these cars now given they are 3 model years old - $115?
-I tend to not hold cars very long - would one project resale in a year or two to be fairly robust?

Any thoughts appreciated!

Old 03-11-2015, 09:33 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
  • $230K+ sticker
  • $165K new
  • $120K 3-years old
"...would one project resale in a year or two to be fairly robust?"

Didn't you just answer your own question?

Old 03-12-2015, 10:11 AM
RolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by karlfranz
  • $230K+ sticker
  • $165K new
  • $120K 3-years old
"...would one project resale in a year or two to be fairly robust?"

Didn't you just answer your own question?
Dibs for buying it at $75k 3yrs out.

Old 03-12-2015, 02:48 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
The good thing about the Virage is that it's basically the same thing as the DB9 so for reliability I'd assume that it'd be just fine.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:41 PM
Considering a Virage

Thanks for the replies. From what I can, these are great cars! Just need to take the plunge....

Old 03-18-2015, 09:58 PM
JuanP is on a distinguished road
I've had my 2012 Virage Volante for just over 2 years (purchased it in Jan 2013) and it is my daily driver. I've been averaging 1000 miles per month and the car has been rock solid. Definitely a great car, and has the styling of the current model DB9.

Old 03-19-2015, 01:36 AM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
Originally Posted by telum01
The good thing about the Virage is that it's basically the same thing as the DB9 so for reliability I'd assume that it'd be just fine.
Yep
Ironically I test drove one yesterday.
Nice car and feels deceptively small once you are in it.
Virage's are rare - less 1000 worldwide.
UK AM dealers are now trying to sell them at higher prices because of this (only $20k between a late Virage and early DB9.2)
Very few differences between them, essentially the Virage has the DBS engine with no VVT or knock control, DB9.2 has a detuned Vanquish engine and DBS boot lid.
I didn't get on with the Virage, don't like the box, suspension is too stiff in comfort and there is too much chassis flex in the volante for me.
Those are just me though.

Old 03-19-2015, 04:37 AM
Good to hear that the car is a solid daily driver. Eluded to in one of the replies - how is the transmission - relatively satisfying? I know it is a 6 speed ZF - are the shifts smooth and relatively quick? Obviously the newest ZF boxes with 8 speeds shift great - but this one is a previous generation. Unfortunately no cars close to me to test drive.

Old 03-19-2015, 12:28 PM
omegaSMP300 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by hitest
Good to hear that the car is a solid daily driver. Eluded to in one of the replies - how is the transmission - relatively satisfying? I know it is a 6 speed ZF - are the shifts smooth and relatively quick? Obviously the newest ZF boxes with 8 speeds shift great - but this one is a previous generation. Unfortunately no cars close to me to test drive.
Shifts are wonderful. Plenty engaging even though it is an automatic when you want to go for a spirited drive. And unlike the sport shift II garbage, when you place the car in automode it takes care of everything and there is no awful bucking. I personally feel 8 gears is one too many. A 7 speed ZF would be perfect in my eyes but the 8 won't stop me from considering a vanquish one day that's for sure!

Old 03-20-2015, 01:36 AM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
The 8 speed ZF is only in the Vanquish at the moment

Old 03-20-2015, 04:34 AM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
^^^^ and the Rapide.

Old 03-23-2015, 08:53 PM
JuanP is on a distinguished road
A friend of mine who owns an Audi R8 was surprised at how quick it shifts when using the paddles. Even more so when he realized it's auto.