Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Can a Vantage be ordered with a moonroof?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 07:28 PM
RolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura about
I was SERIOUSLY hoping someone here would say 'no' and be the adult...

Old 03-19-2015, 08:42 PM
TGED is on a distinguished road
Panorama roofs do not take up much head room because the glass opens and slide backwards. Many 2-door Mercedes coupes have panorama roof. Even a fixed glass roof like the one on the Ferrari FF and the Jaquar F Type is better than nothing. Do you know the Rapide is the only 4-door luxury car in the world that does not have a sunroof. the Rapide's roof is relatively flat and could easily accommodate a regular or panorama roof, it is a real shame that no such factory option is available.

Old 03-19-2015, 10:26 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
When the factory asked me what features I would like to see incorporated into future vehicles, a tinted glass roof panel with a retractable sun shield was one of my numerous recommendations.

Old 03-20-2015, 12:20 AM
AMCan will become famous soon enough
Hate to be the negative one here but I've had 4 cars in a row with sun roof/moon roof options and never ever use them. The glass on my current sedan covers both rows of seats and can be opened various ways (tilt up, pushed back at any position). Without the shade drawn, the interior just overheats - and opened I'm just getting a sunburn. I sometimes open the shade in the car wash to check if the roof is really getting cleaned but that's about it.

I've got a '14 V8V and on a hot day the a/c can just barely keep up. I'd hate to see what happens with the addition of an added heat source. If I'd really wanted a sunroof I'd have purchased the roadster.

Old 03-20-2015, 05:54 AM
That's why they are also called moonroof, meant to be used under moonlight. LOL.

Old 03-20-2015, 08:24 PM
Since Ferrari introduced the glass roof on the FF, it's been a very popular option. On highend cars, some people just got to have everything. So why not make it available on AM cars? A lot of people who live in colder climates would like to have a sunroof on their cars. Here in Canada, I keep the roller blind of my Cayenne pano roof open all winter along, because any extra bit of solar heat and sunlight is much appreciated. Looking at the Vantage roof structure, they just need to replace the metal roof panel with a heavily tinted glass panel with an black opaque border, on the inside, they just need to incorporate an electric roller blind, the headroom is totally preserved. The engineering cost for this is minimal and many would-be buyers will definitely welcome this option.

Old 03-21-2015, 08:47 AM
ncamv8 is a name known to allncamv8 is a name known to allncamv8 is a name known to allncamv8 is a name known to allncamv8 is a name known to allncamv8 is a name known to all
My BMW has the sun/moon roof with a shade, and I have the shade open in the mornings to get a bit more sun. but closed during the heat of the day.

I do pop it fully open in the spring and fall, but mostly closed in the summer with 100+ heat and humidity.

I have other cars that are full convertibles, but I find the sun/moon roof a good compromise with the rigidity of a coupe and the open airiness of a convertible.

Old 03-22-2015, 05:05 PM
dsvantage is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the link to the Vanquish, that looks gorgeous. I bet with a lint tint or UV protection it would add a lot of light without heat.

Old 01-02-2020, 02:19 PM
Oldtimerguru is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi! I know the Thread is very old-but what was the outcome? I still own a 2009 vantage and think about Alting it.
first Option is a moonroof.
second Option Would be a retractable Targa roof like on the Old Ferrari 308 or porsche 911 Targas.
donor car Would be a normal vantage Coupé and a windscreenframe from a convertible.
someone did anything Similar?
thanks Mike

Old 01-02-2020, 03:01 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
I had three Aston Martin Lagondas, all had a glass ceiling over the back seat passengers with shades that cold be pulled and also rear window shades. This picture was from my 1984 Lagonda I bought about 18 years ago on E-Bay for $14,000!

Old 01-02-2020, 03:49 PM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
You can have Zagato or another coachbuilder put a pano roof in fairly easily. Similar custom builder could do that in the US too. Fabricating the glass panel to the right angle would an interesting process.

Old 01-03-2020, 02:40 PM
TR-Spider is on a distinguished road
Funny, I was recently playing with the moonroof idea as well.
What I had thought of was a scratch resisting coated Polycarbonate.
I did not know that it was apparently so easy to exchange the roof panel on a Vantage.
Excellent info, is the panel simply bonded in and painted over on the sills?
Some of the later V12V already have a black roof, which looks alltogether good...

My research also led me to the moonroof Vanquish, which looks nice and very airy inside...

Old 01-04-2020, 06:58 AM
Kalepsis is a name known to allKalepsis is a name known to allKalepsis is a name known to allKalepsis is a name known to allKalepsis is a name known to allKalepsis is a name known to all
Originally Posted by TR-Spider
Funny, I was recently playing with the moonroof idea as well.
What I had thought of was a scratch resisting coated Polycarbonate.
I did not know that it was apparently so easy to exchange the roof panel on a Vantage.
Excellent info, is the panel simply bonded in and painted over on the sills?
Some of the later V12V already have a black roof, which looks alltogether good...

My research also led me to the moonroof Vanquish, which looks nice and very airy inside...
I was thinking something similar after seeing that you could get a carbon fiber roof panel for the Vantage from AstonMartinBits (for a little over $11,000) or a metal one (for about $500) and swap out the stock one.
Anyone seen the glass roof panel on the McLaren 720S spider? I'm not sure if it's polycarbonate or laminated glass, but it has that really cool, electrochromic tint. Push a button and it darkens in about a second. I think it's made by Saint-Gobain.
That would be seriously cool to have in a Vantage.

Old 01-04-2020, 09:12 AM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
clear roof

My 2013 SLK55 has the Pano roof that on a touch of a button goes dark to clear, a hideously expensive part should it need replacing. I use Bo Vescio's in Minnesota for all my custom work and any body repairs - he's a wizard on making an idea come true. He redid my entire 1987 928 body including rear view cameras built-into the shark gills added to the front fenders, and a clear glass panel on the hood to see the custom engine (this was years before the Vette did it). I'm sure he could add a glass roof on any car. Plus, as far as custom guru's he's fairly reasonable.

Old 01-04-2020, 12:58 PM
TR-Spider is on a distinguished road
Found another pic of the coppercoulored Vanquish - it seems there the roof panel was not a full glass/PC, but the window was integrated into the roof skin: