Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Where does front license plate drill to

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 11:21 AM
lovingit is on a distinguished road
Where does front license plate drill to

On the vantages, if the dealer has the front plate drilled, when you take it off, is there a hole in the front bumper? Or is the license plate reinforced through the front grille so there are no holes drilled into the front bumper?

Old 03-15-2015, 11:43 AM
mkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud of
there is a frame behind the grill that the plate holder screws into. Unless the dealer drilled into the bumper already.

Old 03-15-2015, 05:29 PM
Vantagelvr will become famous soon enoughVantagelvr will become famous soon enough
I got my Vanatage from the US (no front plate) Front plates are required in Ontario but I didn't want to drill the bumper/spoil the front look of the car so I made my own bracket . Just a simple piece of reasonable thickness sheet metal bent at 90 degrees then used some aluminum flat bar the make some plate supports . The sheet metal fastens to the front undertray . I drilled it and installed nutserts so it can accept a 1/4" bolt . The whole thing can be removed easily and all that will be left is the nutserts in the undertray .

Pics aren't great but you get the idea .

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0400.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	416434   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0401.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	416435  
Old 03-16-2015, 05:14 PM
Townshend is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Vantagelvr
I got my Vanatage from the US (no front plate) Front plates are required in Ontario but I didn't want to drill the bumper/spoil the front look of the car so I made my own bracket . Just a simple piece of reasonable thickness sheet metal bent at 90 degrees then used some aluminum flat bar the make some plate supports . The sheet metal fastens to the front undertray . I drilled it and installed nutserts so it can accept a 1/4" bolt . The whole thing can be removed easily and all that will be left is the nutserts in the undertray .

Pics aren't great but you get the idea .
Are you able to actually post up better pics when you get a chance? Unfortunately I live in a state in the US where front plate is required as well

Old 03-16-2015, 05:23 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Please don't drill into the front bumper of any Vantage. All Astons sold in the USA come from the factory with a front plate mounting bracket. If you bought your car used and it doesn't have one, chances are the previous owner did not include it with the car when it was sold. The bracket bolts into two black vertical beams in the front structure of the car. If you look through the slats behind the grille you should see the holes where the bolts go.

You can contact your dealer to get a replacement bracket. If you live in a state that requires a front plate, they should supply you one at time of sale, so make sure to ask for it.

Old 03-16-2015, 05:45 PM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
Exception = V12VS. Those for NA come with horrid holes in the grille (mesh, no longer slats) to allow plate mounting. I specifically requested mine without holes. So far so good with the front plate on suction cups - there, now I've jinxed myself...

Old 03-16-2015, 05:46 PM
Vantagelvr will become famous soon enoughVantagelvr will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Townshend
Are you able to actually post up better pics when you get a chance? Unfortunately I live in a state in the US where front plate is required as well
These are better . Im also going to put 2 more nutserts closer to the front to eliminate the flex in the sheet metal . If you used thicker sheet it would be better .

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0230.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	863.3 KB
ID:	416479   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0235.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	974.3 KB
ID:	416480  
Old 03-16-2015, 06:09 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by spinecho
Exception = V12VS. Those for NA come with horrid holes in the grille (mesh, no longer slats) to allow plate mounting. I specifically requested mine without holes. So far so good with the front plate on suction cups - there, now I've jinxed myself...
Yes, my dealership didn't know which part number had the holes for the mesh grille and which one didn't. My car came with both grilles and they returned the one with the holes. Of course, if you are required to have a front plate, the bracket hides the holes, so I don't know why you didn't go with that instead of suction cups.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:11 PM
AMCan will become famous soon enough
Much as I dislike it, I read somewhere that the relatively ugly stock mount (that mine came with) provides a small bit of protection as it sticks out and is designed to crush first (say in those instances where someone backs into you while parked).

Not sure if that's true but it's got to be better than a flat plate. And yes I'd prefer to have no front plate at all.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by AMCan
Much as I dislike it, I read somewhere that the relatively ugly stock mount (that mine came with) provides a small bit of protection as it sticks out and is designed to crush first (say in those instances where someone backs into you while parked).
So does covering the front of your car with bubble wrap or styrofoam, but it doesn't mean I'd want it on the front of my car.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:38 PM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
You just answered your question to me. I don't want an ugly bracket on the front of mine any more, either. I got tired of looking at it on my old V12V. Any time I'm not driving the S, I take the plate off - easy with suction cups. And when the plate's off, I don't want to be staring at two holes in the grille...

Old 03-19-2015, 09:39 PM
Townshend is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Vantagelvr
These are better . Im also going to put 2 more nutserts closer to the front to eliminate the flex in the sheet metal . If you used thicker sheet it would be better .
Perfect, thank you!

Old 10-06-2017, 09:56 AM
jaysabree is an unknown quantity at this point
I found this place which made me a replica of my licence plate and all I had to do was stick it. Any thought on it?
This is their site http://customlicenseplates.us

Old 10-06-2017, 06:59 PM
ROBERTSCOTTNEILLY is an unknown quantity at this point
I just used some double-sided foam tape, and it hasn't budged in three years.

Old 10-07-2017, 07:11 AM
Banned
Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by spinecho
I know this is an old post I'm quoting, but in case anyone that has a V12 Vantage S grille with holes in it to mount the license plate, the mesh alone can be swapped out if you want to remove the front plate:
http://www.redpants.lol/shop/v12-van...ille-mesh-only

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Where does front license plate drill to