Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Need your opinions..about to pull trigger on new wheels! What to do with old wheel?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 09:38 PM
goto35 will become famous soon enoughgoto35 will become famous soon enough
Need your opinions..about to pull trigger on new wheels! What to do with old wheel?

Last edited by goto35; 08-06-2015 at 02:38 PM.
Old 04-06-2015, 11:13 AM
RolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura about
Probably a very good price on the new wheels considering almost new tires. The V spoke wheel is sharp, but anyone short of the absolute car nut may not notice any difference. They are both 10 spoke, and if you get the all silver version (no contrasting inset)... You will just be $3200 lighter.

I have the OEM 19" wheels and with stock suspension and Michelin Pilots the car rides pretty firm. (Was VERY stiff with the OEM BridgeSTONES.) You may or may not enjoy going from the 18" to the 19" wheel ride wise.

Just 2cts.

Old 04-06-2015, 11:31 AM
mkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud of
since you are going from oem to oem wheel, you can just sell your old ones. Though I am not sure how much 18" will go for (am thinking not a lot)

Old 04-06-2015, 03:02 PM
Batman-76 has a spectacular aura aboutBatman-76 has a spectacular aura aboutBatman-76 has a spectacular aura about
Un-informed question -

Will the new 19" wheel work with your existing fenders? I understand that your car originally shipped with 19s, but the new V-Spoke wheel you're looking at originally shipped with the V8VS, which had wider tires and fender flares, (didn't it?)

If so - will installing the wider 19" wheels, and subsequently, tires cause any issues with offset for steering, or increased chance of rock chips form the tires?

All that aside - I'd be hard pressed to spend that much money on wheels, unless they were considerably different looking after market wheels. Something drastically different will also differentiate your car from the hundreds of other silver V8Vs out there...

I've seen some amazing looking wheels int he picture thread...

Old 04-06-2015, 03:48 PM
IbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant future
Save your money. While the V-spokes are nice, they aren't the big a deal. I don't know the data but I'd be curious of the difference in unsprung weight. Probably negligible. Yes, the look different but not by much and the ones you have look right for the car. Plus, you just sprung for new tires (not a small sum). So enjoy the tires and wheels. There will always be a good deal on other wheels sometime down the line.

As for suggestions of aftermarket wheels. To each his own but unless they're the right HRE and you do a correct offset and lowering, stick with stock.

Old 04-06-2015, 05:19 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Batman-76
Un-informed question -

Will the new 19" wheel work with your existing fenders? I understand that your car originally shipped with 19s, but the new V-Spoke wheel you're looking at originally shipped with the V8VS, which had wider tires and fender flares, (didn't it?)

If so - will installing the wider 19" wheels, and subsequently, tires cause any issues with offset for steering, or increased chance of rock chips form the tires?

All that aside - I'd be hard pressed to spend that much money on wheels, unless they were considerably different looking after market wheels. Something drastically different will also differentiate your car from the hundreds of other silver V8Vs out there...

The 19s will fit just fine. 18 inch wheels were standard in early Vantages (19 was an option) but very few cars were actually spec'd with 18s.

BTW, there is no difference in the fenders of a V8V versus an S.

Old 04-06-2015, 06:53 PM
bluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Batman-76
Un-informed question -

One of the big keys to the "fit" question, is wheel offset. Generally, the rim sizes 18, 19, or 20 can all fit quite well, given proper offset/tire size combo. The 18 and 19" wheels fom earlier cars had (to my eye) rather un aggressive offsets. Thus the somewhat popular mod of using wheel spacers to bring the wheels closer to flush with the fenders. Seems to me the newer cars have a better combination of tire width and offset, to achieve a better match with the wheel well space available.

Old 04-06-2015, 07:03 PM
bluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of light
Jateshk- personally, the only OEM wheels I'd pay that kinda money for, are either the original sports pack wheels, or the black color wheels from the new V12 Vantage S

Old 04-06-2015, 07:44 PM
Batman-76 has a spectacular aura aboutBatman-76 has a spectacular aura aboutBatman-76 has a spectacular aura about
Ohh... +1 for the V12VS wheels.... I wouldn't mind a set of those myself

Old 04-06-2015, 09:09 PM
dsvantage is on a distinguished road
My two cents: enjoy the more comfortable ride on the 18s, especially with a convertible, and save the money for something else you'll appreciate more.

Old 04-06-2015, 10:46 PM
Thanks guys. Decided to pass on the wheels.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:05 AM
rohnin is on a distinguished road
There is a set of V spokes less than $2500 with almost new tires available on eBay in CA

Old 04-07-2015, 10:28 PM
dsvantage is on a distinguished road
Don't tempt him, we just talked him down from the ledge.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:36 PM
Originally Posted by dsvantage
Don't tempt him, we just talked him down from the ledge.
LOL

Old 04-08-2015, 04:03 PM
anton28 will become famous soon enough
I would sell your 18s. If you were buying aftermarket wheels I would suggest that you keep the originals but since your are upgrading to another original Aston wheel, I say sell yor current set up.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need your opinions..about to pull trigger on new wheels! What to do with old wheel?