Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Engine Oil ??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 03:08 PM
seastu is on a distinguished road
Engine Oil ??

Wanted to have some oil on hand just in case I needed a top of. As suggested on the forum I went to my local BMW dealership to pick up a quart of Castrol
10w-60 which I previously used in my //M cars. It appears that Castrol is no longer being used by BMW. They have switched to shell. Specifications on the oil remain the same. Long story short is it ok to use this oil for topping off.

Old 05-13-2015, 03:23 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Interesting news. I suspect that, if it's good for the M cars, it's good enough for the Aston. How does the price compare? My local bmw dealer was selling me oil for about $13/ltr.

Old 05-13-2015, 03:49 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Thanks for posting this!

Found a press release from Shell:
http://www.shell.com/global/products...-supplier.html

Some interesting stuff in the Notes to Editors section, wonder how much of it is marketing fluff with no added benefit over Castrol TWS.

Funny... I'm looking at a pic of the back of one of the bottles, and the BMW M Twinpower Turbo 10w-60 oil is for M5/M6 through 2010 and M3 through 2013... all naturally aspirated engines. So the M Twinpower Turbo oil is not for the M Twinpower Turbo M cars

Anyway, I'm not an engineer but so long as the specs are the same, I don't see there being cause for concern. The whole point of using Castrol's oil for M-cars is because AML in the US uses it. But people run a few different oils in their cars - Castrol, Shell, Royal Purple, Amsoil, etc.

Old 05-13-2015, 06:30 PM
seastu is on a distinguished road
Price of the oil is $14.58

Old 05-13-2015, 06:40 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Just bought 12 bottles @ $12 each from Turner Motorsports.

Old 05-13-2015, 07:31 PM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Castrol is still selling it but just rebaged the bottle, changed the name slightly and image in bottle.. Still for M powered cars but not sponsored anymore with the BMW logo.. We used to get it from Castrol but under the BMW exclusive products, rep turned his head for us.. now its even easier for us to get the new European Formula M Power TWS bottles.

Btw not sure if you guys know, I see the term TWS thrown around as a Castrol brand .. Its not a name of oil but rather stands for the weight Ten W Sixty..

I'm sure I'll get a service in a day or so, if I can I'll get the new part number..

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9
Office: (1)250-485-5126
Email: Tuning@VelocityAP.com

www.velocityap.com

Old 05-16-2015, 09:35 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Old 05-19-2015, 11:54 AM
rohnin is on a distinguished road
Why is the oil so specific? Do any of you use other brands such as Redline, Royal Purple, Amsoil, etc?

Old 05-19-2015, 12:38 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rohnin
Why is the oil so specific? Do any of you use other brands such as Redline, Royal Purple, Amsoil, etc?
As long as the oil meets required specs, any brand will work. People have done oil analysis to see how they hold up over time, so there's a lot of discussion of that (check out bobistheoilguy.com for more info that you'll ever be able to consume lol).

Old 05-19-2015, 01:27 PM
Originally Posted by rohnin
Because except for Redline, they don't offer a 60W synthetic, so choices are limited to BMW (was Castrol now Shell), Redline or Liqui Moly. I will try LM next time.

Old 05-20-2015, 12:06 AM
rohnin is on a distinguished road
Oh okay I see, didn't know it was because of that. Then it's okay to try other brands

Old 05-21-2015, 08:58 AM
dicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
Will be using this next time. Great reviews and only $9 per liter.

Amazon.com: Liqui Moly 2024 Synthoil Race Tech GT1 10W-60 Motor Oil - 5 Liter Jug: Automotive
The only differences I can find between Castrol Edge Sport 10W-60 and this Liqui Moly is Both are certified ACEA A3/B4, but Castrol is API SM/CF and Liqui-Moly is only SL/CF. I wonder what IRISH07 thinks of using this Liqui-Moly instead of the recommended Castrol?

Old 05-21-2015, 09:05 AM
The WSM specifically states:

Engine Oil Specification

10W-60

Authority: Standard

API: SL/CF

ACEA: A3/B3/B4

Oil 10W-60 has both API and ACEA and therefore meets more demanding tests than either API or ACEA oils alone.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:23 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
SM came into affect around 2007/08, Vantage engine was adapted with 2005 products so SL was in affect.

SM supercedes SL...the "S" stands for "Spark Fire Engines" which is gasoline engines, the M and L I'm not sure but a wild guess would be code requirements and newer year build.....the "C" in CF stands for "Combustion Fired" aka Diesel.

Castrol's oil meets SM for it was probably re-designed past 2007/08..it's changed name so any times, tweeked probably formula as well. I'm sure if some one had a bottle of TWS from 2005 it would show SL..versus the newer TWS sporting SM on the bottle.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:32 PM
JamesBahnd is on a distinguished road
Just took my 2013 V8 Vantage to the dealer for an oil change and they are using Castrol 5W50 synthetic. Any thoughts? I am a new owner. Thanks.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Engine Oil ??