Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Time to get nimble

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 07:32 PM
Banned
Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !
Just weighed the carbon fiber fender vent strakes to compare to the standard chromed ones.... the pair drops 3.25 lbs from the car. So I'm adding that to my list of mods for the grey car!

Weights, pics, and info here:
http://www.redpants.lol/shop/carbon-fiber-side-strakes

Old 02-07-2017, 04:26 AM
handyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond repute
Man, why are these things costing so much...

Old 02-07-2017, 10:37 AM
Banned
Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !
No joke... Aston's OEM carbon fiber is pretty ridiculous. But they do an amazing job on the stuff, so at least it's got some seriously high quality to back the price.

Old 02-11-2017, 12:43 AM
Banned
I've got a bunch of messages and emails and posts to catch up on, but first a quick snapshot review of the VelocityAP clutch and lightweight flywheel:

Clutch job is very challenging. There's a lot involved and it's not a straight-forward job. There are a lot of nuances to making it "easy" (extra emphasis on emphasis because it isn't exactly easy).
The weights I measured didn't show the 17 lbs of weight loss that I was looking to shed, but I do have an aftermarket clutch (RSC tuning's prototype from a decade ago lol), so the weights may be off. I do have actual weights for comparison.
Even though the weight loss didn't add up, the weight is moved away from the outer edge of the flywheel (all the holes you see). This reduces the centrifugal forces due to the weight, so you do get more of a performance benefit than what you'd expect based on the static weight loss numbers.
There's a definite performance improvement with the VAP setup. The car does accelerate quicker and the engine is more responsive.
The clutch pedal is super light. That's odd for me because I like the feedback of a hefty pedal... but that does get tiring. I'll need to get used to a light clutch pedal. Most people will see this as a resounding benefit. For me, I need to get used to it because it's different, and that's the only drawback.
I didn't observe any chatter. Stuart sent me a tune that raises engine idle by 150 rpm which is supposed to alleviate the issue for those that experience it. But I didn't experience it, so it's a non-issue.

So, bottom line:
There's a noticeable performance improvement.
The clutch pedal is super light.
The engine is more responsive.
It's expensive.
When you order it, make sure a new pilot bearing is included.
The weight loss (based strictly on numbers) didn't match up...
But weight concentration was moved toward the center of the flywheel, so the static weight doesn't compare to the dynamic weight loss. Basically, you're getting more performance than the numbers imply (which is a very good thing).

It's almost 3am and I have Moscow Mules to make.
Lots more to come!

Old 02-11-2017, 07:01 AM
handyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond repute
Were you able to shot some video while working on it? I thought that would be a harder job than most want to attempt but glad you were able to push through it and get it done.

Old 06-11-2018, 07:54 PM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
Has anyone looked at just the weight in all the sound deadening in the car? Between the pads under the carpet all over the interior and hatch and in the wheel wells, I wonder how much weight can be removed.

Old 06-12-2018, 08:33 AM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
+1 even a dedicated track car I would still use lizard skin on cabin panels/floor to dampen noise and heat.

Old 06-12-2018, 09:04 AM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
Haha, I also have a Lotus Elise, just a full carpet is more sound deadening than that car has. I wouldn't say it's serene but it's completely tolerable. Mats on the wheel wells are overkill for a sports car IMO.