Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Time to get nimble

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 10:31 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Yeah, they were used in the N24 and then the GT4. The Recaro Hans is the other choice and I think most people opt for it for the added safety on track. But the PP definitely came in the N24 and some GT4s!

I'd love to get AM's factory carbon seats but the cost is ungodly and they're just about impossible to get in the US

Old 12-11-2015, 11:03 AM
bluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of light
Can't remember if you said there was some place local to check out seats. I'm very lucky that one of my sponsors is a local race safety shop, with many seats in stock. Pm if you want/need a contact for a quote.

Anyway, you certainly don't want the Pro Racer Hans in a street car (I love the seat in my race car though). However, have you been able to try out the Profi? It's not a lot different from Pole positions, but they are available in Carbon Kevlar. If you absolutely want something other than fiberglass.

Old 12-11-2015, 11:27 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Nobody local carries Recaro in-house I used to own a PP so I know I can daily it. This is a pic of my [former] car:

Name:  DSC_01172.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  71.3 KB

I haven't been in a Profi, so I don't know if it'd be okay daily. I'm a smaller guy (5'7", 165 lbs, 31" waist) so I could probably get away with a Profi, but I don't want to make my car too much of a track car. It needs to be comfortable enough that I can still take it out for a night on the town without my imaginary girlfriend hating the ride. When I do the second seat, I'll be matching it to the driver seat so the more comfortable, the better.

But... if you wouldn't mind getting a quote for a PP and a Profi so I can see what the difference would be. That'd be awesome.

Last edited by telum01; 12-11-2015 at 12:22 PM.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:00 AM
Quick update... I'm still working on these projects.

Recaro pulled the Pole Position from market when the FIA rating fiasco hit, and they'll be reintroducing the seat in the next couple weeks at a higher pricepoint (um, thanks Recaro). I've got all the mounting hardware coming from Aston Martin Racing via Stuart, hopefully it works with the new seats because it sure wasn't cheap lol.

I'm now working with yet another fabricator on the battery mount. This one is probably my best bet, though - everything is getting done to extremely high accuracy and it'll be made out of billet So it'll be super light and be able to take track abuse without a single concern.

Old 01-13-2016, 10:29 AM
AM v12v is on a distinguished road
Great project. I love this kind of thing.

The Recaro PP is a really nice seat and also has a premium feel to it. Its used in a lot of factory track specials. Porsche, Mercedes, Audi….

Im taking some weight out of my car too. Have done the following so far.

Wheels
Decat
Parcel shelf
Different gear **** (you would be surprised how heavy the metal one is!)

I already have carbon seats/brakes and plan to soon delete the muffler, install a lightweight battery, and performance manifolds.

That lot should see a well over 60kg's weight saving.

Heres a previous project of mine, I won't be going so extreme on the Aston!

http://www.cagedcar.com/Gallery/Gallery.html

Old 01-13-2016, 10:50 AM
Nice! I've got a lot of the same on my V8V. Unfortunately, we can't get the carbon fiber seats from Aston in the US. I'm going to be making my own alternatives

The battery I'm using is the Braille B3121. I should have a prototype mount in two weeks, now that I've found a fabricator that's actually moving forward with me lol. It might work for a V12 car. What battery are you using?

Old 01-13-2016, 10:56 AM
Originally Posted by telum01
Nice! I've got a lot of the same on my V8V. Unfortunately, we can't get the carbon fiber seats from Aston in the US. I'm going to be making my own alternatives

The battery I'm using is the Braille B3121. I should have a prototype mount in two weeks, now that I've found a fabricator that's actually moving forward with me lol. It might work for a V12 car. What battery are you using?
You will actually have lighter seats than the V12V. They are great seats but have electric memory adjustment and with all of the motors and cabling will be 5-10Kg heavier than your pole positions. They are a sparco seat so I could fit manual runners…

I haven't bought the battery yet but have had good results with Odyssey in the past. There is a company over here that run Aston race cars and they offered to fit the Odyssey or the Braille item which they had both in stock. Im not sure whether the race cars have the battery in the same location as the road car?

Old 01-13-2016, 10:59 AM
lenny1974 is on a distinguished road
I know the standard metallic side strakes weigh in at a hefty 1Kg each. These can be swapped for the carbon ones which weight app. 100grms each. They are expensive, but weight savings of about 1.8Kg. Also, the engine cover can be swapped (or even just removed) for a carbon version. Not sure on the weight saving, but could be around 0.5 Kg.

Old 01-13-2016, 02:21 PM
Originally Posted by lenny1974
I know the standard metallic side strakes weigh in at a hefty 1Kg each. These can be swapped for the carbon ones which weight app. 100grms each. They are expensive, but weight savings of about 1.8Kg. Also, the engine cover can be swapped (or even just removed) for a carbon version. Not sure on the weight saving, but could be around 0.5 Kg.
It all adds up!

The DBS/V12V metal gear **** must weight 2kg's!

Telum, have you considered a polycarbonate rear screen?

I was going to fit a fire extinguisher on the panel behind the seats, adding weight back in but it will look cool and a nice safety aspect!

Old 01-13-2016, 02:30 PM
I'm not doing anything that would take away from being able to enjoy driving the car. Polycarbonate isn't as good for a street car as the standard glass, so it's something I don't want to do. The most intrusive thing I'm doing is the seats, but I am perfectly comfortable in a seat like the Pole Position so for me it isn't a detractor. Plus, everything is completely reversible.

Can't necessarily cut weight when it comes to safety, so a fire extinguisher and harness bar add some weight but for good reason! I was actually looking at adding a fire extinguisher mount to another project I have in mind, but the hard part about putting it behind the seats is accessing it quickly and easily. It's a good spot for packaging, but not for access.

Old 01-21-2016, 07:41 PM
Lightweight battery mount prototype design is being finished up. It's evolved over the course of *four* fabricators, but now it's finally moving forward! It's going to be milled out of billet aluminum and weigh next to nothing, meaning I'll have no problem hitting that 30-lb weight reduction goal with the lighter battery.

In the meantime, I came home to this wonderful little delivery Stuart arranged for me! Don't mind the crappy pics, I'm in the process of moving into my new place so unpacking these so I could take decent pics is too much to ask right now lol

Old 01-21-2016, 10:46 PM
sdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to behold
Lightweight battery mount prototype design is being finished up. It's evolved over the course of *four* fabricators, but now it's finally moving forward! It's going to be milled out of billet aluminum and weigh next to nothing, meaning I'll have no problem hitting that 30-lb weight reduction goal with the lighter battery.

In the meantime, I came home to this wonderful little delivery Stuart arranged for me! Don't mind the crappy pics, I'm in the process of moving into my new place so unpacking these so I could take decent pics is too much to ask right now lol[/IMG]
Nice package! I suggest a mold of the bucketseatmounting to be made alowing them to be replicated in CF, shaving another 1lbs.

Old 02-22-2016, 08:32 AM
Update on the battery mount, it's just about ready! Milled billet aluminum base with a polished stainless steel bracket that goes over the battery I'm having it tumble finished to get rid of the milling lines (too much bling for me, even though it's completely hidden within the car).

Old 02-22-2016, 01:04 PM
bunob is on a distinguished road
Your billet aluminium part is beautifull

Old 02-22-2016, 01:08 PM
bunob is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

In the meantime, I came home to this wonderful little delivery Stuart arranged for me! Don't mind the crappy pics, I'm in the process of moving into my new place so unpacking these so I could take decent pics is too much to ask right now lol

These seat fixing are in steel or aluminium ?
Do you have the runner guide too ?
Nice parts !

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Time to get nimble