Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

V8V Clutch Chatter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 01:25 PM
papigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of light
V8V Clutch Chatter

Hi I am about to purchase a 2012 V8V with 5700 miles from my local AM dealer. The car seems overall perfect with one exception. I noticed on the test drive that there was a very mild clutch chatter/shutter when starting off in first. I know on some of my other cars this is normal especially when the car is hot and on a hot day. Is this a normal thing for a manual V8V. The clutch otherwise performs perfectly with proper engagement points and smooth operation in all other gears.
Thanks for the help and advise

Old 05-28-2015, 02:04 PM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by papigko
Hi I am about to purchase a 2012 V8V with 5700 miles from my local AM dealer. The car seems overall perfect with one exception. I noticed on the test drive that there was a very mild clutch chatter/shutter when starting off in first. I know on some of my other cars this is normal especially when the car is hot and on a hot day. Is this a normal thing for a manual V8V. The clutch otherwise performs perfectly with proper engagement points and smooth operation in all other gears.
Thanks for the help and advise
I bought my 2007 advantage from an Aston Martin dealer as well. A one-year preowned Aston Martin warranty should be part of the package deal when you buy the car. If it were me I have them replace the clutch or inspected and put in writing their findings before I purchase the car. Even though the car is very low miles, a person can abusesa clutch in less than in just a few miles if they don't know what they're doing.
Ron

Old 05-28-2015, 02:17 PM
papigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of light
Thanks Ron
It will be coming with the 1 yr warranty as the original warranty just ran out.
I didn't want to push for a new clutch if this was a normal behavior for the V8V.
By the way ron we will have a similar stable as I also have a MY 11 Evora

Old 05-28-2015, 03:21 PM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by papigko
Thanks Ron
It will be coming with the 1 yr warranty as the original warranty just ran out.
I didn't want to push for a new clutch if this was a normal behavior for the V8V.
By the way ron we will have a similar stable as I also have a MY 11 Evora
My Vantage had 2700 miles when I bought it last August. I've never had any clutch chatter at all. I now have 6700 miles on my Vantage, it is a great car. The only problem so far was the rear shocks replaced under warranty. I did have the gas filler door and heat seater recall done as well. Unfortunately I no longer have my 2011 Evora 2+0, I sold it along with my Fiesta ST for my new daily driver a 2015 Mustang GT with the Performance package and 6 speed. The Evora was a neat car, it was my second Lotus. I had ordered a 2005 Elise, I gave it to my daughter when I ordered the Evora. It just came down to the fact that I was not driving the car enough I only had 7700 miles on it when I saw that after five years.
Ron

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	421112  

Last edited by Ron Avery; 05-28-2015 at 03:28 PM.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:03 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
If by chatter you mean that it sometimes sounds a little like a muffled coffee can full of marbles when starting off in first gear then, yes, it is fairly normal.

Last edited by karlfranz; 05-28-2015 at 09:06 PM.
Old 05-29-2015, 04:54 AM
Sorry, What I mean by chatter is a very slight shudder on engagement as opposed to a smooth feeling. This is sometimes normal in a racing clutch depending on the friction material but it can also be a sign of flywheel glazing or early clutch failure. I may be answering my own question but before I push the issue I wanted to see what was normal behavior in these cars.
Thanks

Old 05-29-2015, 05:38 AM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
Shudder is not normal, i think you should get it sorted before you pay

Old 05-29-2015, 01:11 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by karlfranz
If by chatter you mean that it sometimes sounds a little like a muffled coffee can full of marbles when starting off in first gear then, yes, it is fairly normal.
I don't recall ever hearing that in my car. Should I be worried if my car doesn't make worrisome noises??

Old 05-29-2015, 02:42 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
Chatter

Never had chatter in my 07 or my 09 vantage - My 15 Mustang is the same color!

Old 05-30-2015, 02:22 AM
rohnin is on a distinguished road
I hear this too on my 07 Sportshift at low rpms

Old 06-01-2015, 12:33 AM
kensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud of
I have this occur 1 out of 5 times from cold on my 08 V8VR SS with 26,000 miles. It normally disappears after only a couple of gear changes.

When I questioned the dealer, they said it was like that 5 years and two owners ago when they first sold it. So nothing serious has happened in the following 20,000 miles.

Of course, it's probably coming up for a new clutch soon, but that's another issue.

Last edited by kensilver; 06-02-2015 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Changed V9VR to V8VR since that model hasn't been released yet :)
Old 06-01-2015, 04:55 PM
Batman-76 has a spectacular aura aboutBatman-76 has a spectacular aura aboutBatman-76 has a spectacular aura about
After reading this thread, I did some testing with my 12 V8VS, and I did detect some strange noises at various times.

* During exaggerated slow take offs, there's the shuddering. Similar to driving off in a manual without properly modulating the throttle and clutch.

* During very slow acceleration, (think neighborhood driving), I noticed a slight metallic whirring/grinding during shifts. I assume this is due to the very slow shifts time, and this is simply the noise of the metal gears disengaging and reengaging during shift. Kind of reminds me of my old Ducati with the dry clutch sitting at idle - just not as dramatic.

Normal? I dunno, just assumed it was par for the course. I suppose I'll have the dealer check it out when I drop it off for them to look into the rear parking sensors not sounding off.

Old 06-01-2015, 05:12 PM
Thanks for all the replies as a newbie here I really appreciate all the input. Makes me feel good about buying an AM with such a helpful owners group.