Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

What's this wire hanging from my windscreen?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 08:45 PM
kensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud of
What's this wire hanging from my windscreen?

My 2008 V8VR has just returned from a service at the dealer (the less said about that the better...22 hour's labor to fix a malfunctioning roof!), and I found this RJ11 plug dangling from behind the interior mirror (center of photo).

Where did it come from? Where does it go? What is it for?

I can't find any connector for it around that area, so assumed it was a link for the service computer. Should I tuck it in somewhere?

I'm puzzled, yet annoyed at the same time because I worry about what else they have missed that will go wrong later.

Old 07-03-2015, 10:35 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
Aftermarket connection for a radar detector is a thought. It was probably tucked away and maybe they figured it was in use still in use?

Old 07-03-2015, 11:08 PM
kensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud of
Yes, that's a possibility. Searches for RJ11 only seem to bring up radar detectors. The car used to have a detector linked to the center console.

Old 07-03-2015, 11:13 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
May I ask what the fault or symptoms were and what fixed it for 22 hours?

Old 07-04-2015, 01:20 AM
Originally Posted by J doubleU
May I ask what the fault or symptoms were and what fixed it for 22 hours?
It began when I started the car and got a multitude of dashboard warnings. Then the roof wouldn't go down. The battery was low, which seems to be a contributing factor and it was replaced with a new one. The dealer replaced the roof control module and another sensor - both took 8 days+ each to get from UK.

Roof still wouldn't close correctly, and (I think) they fitted in some time on it in between other jobs without any luck. Then a wiring issue was found at last and today I got it home, over 7 weeks later.

It was a shocking display of disinterest from the franchised dealer. I had to push all the way for updates and gently griped about the delay later in the process. Unfortunately I am neither famous or infamous, a captain of industry or a rock star, and so got treated like an average Joe. Must do something about that for future repairs

Old 07-04-2015, 01:30 AM
This 2008 V8VR is the oldest and cheapest car I've had for a long time, but it was a shock to be treated like a second-class citizen because of it.

I now know why so many owners with older cars prefer indies. I had no choice because of the expensive diagnostic equipment required and the technical link to AM that's essential for these kind of repairs that wasn't available to me.

Last edited by kensilver; 07-04-2015 at 01:33 AM.
Old 07-04-2015, 06:51 AM
That's sounds like a nightmare on all levels. It seems that dealer needs a better trained technician. The amount of down time should never have been that long.

Old 07-06-2015, 06:33 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
The wire is for a radar detector. If you didn't install it, it was done by the previous owner and they kept the radar detector when they unloaded the car. I have a Passport with the same installation in my car, and the same wire (or visually same, at least).

Old 07-06-2015, 03:44 PM
Thanks, that puts my mind at ease! I will tuck it in and forget about it.

Old 07-06-2015, 03:46 PM
Originally Posted by J doubleU
That's sounds like a nightmare on all levels. It seems that dealer needs a better trained technician. The amount of down time should never have been that long.
For one of the weeks the technician was off sick, so they left it alone he till he came back, for continuity's sake. Grr.