Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Child in front seat - Passenger Airbag

Old 09-07-2015, 09:26 AM
Bodessem has a spectacular aura aboutBodessem has a spectacular aura about
Child in front seat - Passenger Airbag

Hi guys, how do I make sure the airbag is not on and doesn't go off. I would like my child in the front seat (9 year old girl) as the 7 year old is too big for behind me. How do I make sure the airbag doesn't go off? Thanks!

Also, any recommendations for a good Aston mechanic (not dealer) in the Houston area that you may recommend?

Cheers,

Bodessem

Old 09-07-2015, 10:14 AM
yankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Bodessem
Hi guys, how do I make sure the airbag is not on and doesn't go off. I would like my child in the front seat (9 year old girl) as the 7 year old is too big for behind me. How do I make sure the airbag doesn't go off? Thanks!

Also, any recommendations for a good Aston mechanic (not dealer) in the Houston area that you may recommend?

Cheers,

Bodessem
Cannot be done. Since the passenger seat is power it is not ISOFIX compliant and therefore cannot hold a child seat. There is a long thread on piston heads about this. On my car there is a child-seat sticker with a line through it on the inside of the dash when the door is open.

Old 09-07-2015, 10:21 AM
Hi Yankee...thank you. It's not a child seat but rather just the child. She's 9 so she's too big for that right now. I just want to be able to turn off the airbag so it doesn't hurt or kill her if she sits there.

Bodessem

Old 09-08-2015, 08:49 AM
yankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond repute
Hi Yankee...thank you. It's not a child seat but rather just the child. She's 9 so she's too big for that right now. I just want to be able to turn off the airbag so it doesn't hurt or kill her if she sits there.

Bodessem
According to the NHTSA the passenger must be able to properly fit in the seatbelt to be protected by the airbag. I infer from this that if the person doesn't fit in the seatbelt they shouldn't be in the front seat.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/a...qp/airbag.html

*Note: I don't have any children...that I know about.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:03 AM
Again, wondering how to turn off the airbag. Most other car manufactures have a button to turn it off.

That being said Yankee got me reading more about it and maybe until she grows a few more inches I'll have her in a booster seat so the seat belt harnesses her like it should, regardless of turning off an airbag or not. It seems that the airbag does the damage if the person isn't belted in properly (where it doesn't fit the person correctly wearing it). Obviously safety for my little girls are what I'm after and I appreciate Yankee's comments.

Old 09-08-2015, 11:29 AM
ArtB is a jewel in the roughArtB is a jewel in the roughArtB is a jewel in the rough
The airbag can be turned off. The switch is on the passengers side on the side of the dash between the door shut and the airbag. Also, there are anchors on the passenger seat for a rear facing car seat. My 10 year old has ridden in my Vantage for 2 years now. My 5 year old uses a booster(Simpson racing) and wears the seat belt. I keep the passengers side air bag off while they are in the car. My wife is a police officer and she says it's perfectly legal and safe with the airbag off.

Attached Images  
Old 09-08-2015, 03:19 PM
Thanks much but I don't have that on my car. Just a sticker that says airbag (no on/off) switch or anything. '06 DB9.

Bodessem

Old 09-08-2015, 09:53 PM
ArtB is a jewel in the roughArtB is a jewel in the roughArtB is a jewel in the rough
Thanks much but I don't have that on my car. Just a sticker that says airbag (no on/off) switch or anything. '06 DB9.

Bodessem
Oh man! Sorry! I have to stop assuming everyone has the same car! Mine is an '06 Vantage, thats surprising they didnt put the switch in the DB9 too!

Old 09-10-2015, 02:50 PM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
I don't remember the year, think it was 2006/2007..North America passed a law not allowing a manual disable mode of the passenger airbag. Instead our passenger seats have weight sensors on all 4 bolts that anchor the seat to the body.
If the passenger is under 70lbs, the passenger airbag is supposed to be disabled and a light will light up on the radio bezel area. BE ADVISED THIS WEIGHT OF 70LBS IS NOT A QUOTE!!!. Depending on the placement of the weight on the seat will also deactivate/activate the passenger airbag. What I mean by this is, I'm 170lbs..if I position most of my weight on the front section of the seat, the "passenger airbag disabled" light will come on.

Regardless, just a heads up, any child under the age of 12 and anyone under 79.4lbs, is supposed to be in a booster or child seat, then secured into one of the rear seats..not a front seat!! At the end of the day, excuses like "There's no rear seats"...isn't an excuse for reaper during a possible accident!" **knock on wood*