Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Anyone try to make their own carbon fiber parts?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 05:10 PM
alexhuth will become famous soon enough
Anyone try to make their own carbon fiber parts?

Hey guys,

I have been doing a lot of research on how to make your own carbon fiber parts. I was wondering if anyone has made this attempt??

The raw materials are pretty cheap. And I know I would love to make a few of the parts on my AM.

Old 10-18-2015, 10:12 PM
sierraV12V is just really nicesierraV12V is just really nicesierraV12V is just really nicesierraV12V is just really nice
I've made carbon car parts in the past, still make some non-car related items every now and then. Making quality carbon parts will take some time but it's doable. If you don't care about the cosmetic appearance then it isn't too hard, if you want a really nice looking piece then it will take a good bit of practice. Having the right tools and starting materials is key.

What type of parts are you wanting to make? Are you planning to use a wet layup or prepreg?

Old 10-19-2015, 06:19 AM
Originally Posted by sierraV12V

What type of parts are you wanting to make? Are you planning to use a wet layup or prepreg?
I think I will start with wet layup since it obviously requires fewer tools. I think I will move on to vacuum sealing pretty quickly just to get the aesthetics down.

My biggest unknown is what to make the molds out of. I am thinking of starting out by making fiberglass molds?

What do you think?

Alex

Old 10-19-2015, 06:32 AM
sdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by alexhuth
Hey guys,

I have been doing a lot of research on how to make your own carbon fiber parts. I was wondering if anyone has made this attempt??

The raw materials are pretty cheap. And I know I would love to make a few of the parts on my AM.
check this thread: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ct-carbon.html @karlfranz is the man that took this route with great results!

Old 10-19-2015, 06:40 AM
Originally Posted by sdekoning
check this thread: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ct-carbon.html @karlfranz is the man that took this route with great results!
I wonder if he is actually making carbon fiber parts or just covering his parts with carbon fiber. It kind of looks like he is just putting a carbon fiber covering on the parts.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:56 AM
sierraV12V is just really nicesierraV12V is just really nicesierraV12V is just really nicesierraV12V is just really nice
Fiberglass will work, it helps to put a layer of bondo (or something similar) down first so you can finish the inside of the mold to a super smooth finish. Also, make sure the mold is properly supported so it won't get distorted...don't want to make warped parts.

Old 10-19-2015, 09:03 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
If I had the time and patience, I would love to get into making carbon fiber stuff. Unfortunately, I have neither!

Old 10-19-2015, 06:34 PM
Picked up some fiberglass stuff from the local hardware store I mixed up a batch of resin and just doing some testing.

I'm not sure fiberglass is going to be the best way to go for moulds.... It's like doing the work twice!

Old 10-20-2015, 04:12 PM
mantonkroh is on a distinguished road
Karlfranz (I consider him as "The Professor") has done this as one of his projects:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ct-carbon.html

Whoops, I just noticed someone already posted it. lol

Old 10-24-2015, 07:33 AM
After doing a couple of tests with the fiberglass, I started to wonder if I could 3d print the molds instead. I think I will explore that route more. If anyone has tried this please let me know.

Old 10-26-2015, 06:03 AM
diprcr is on a distinguished road
Carbon Fiber Suggestions

I used to make carbon fiber parts. I took a course in experimental aircraft construction. It gave b=me a good foundation.
Get a good scale. Weigh the cloth and make the same amount of resin. Use a hair dryer to thin the resin and spread it over the cloth. A waxed piece of glass gives a smooth surface.
There are several types off material. Cloth comes in the usual bidirectional weave and what was called triaxial. It is used to make rounded surfaces.
Straight fibers are used to stiffen pieces.
This was the technique twenty years ago. There are lots of books on techniques.
Good luck.